Case Fan Speed Question

Old July 2nd 03, 04:51 AM
Wayne

Default Case Fan Speed Question

Thanks, Ozzy. I just looked up a review, that looks perfect. Do you get an
RPM readout anywhere or will I have to use my percision windsurfing
anenometer to measure air flow? :-)

Also glad the aeroflow works well.

"Ozzy" wrote in message
I have only two intake and two exhaust (no side) and what I did is
purchase a Vntec Nexus fan controller. It fits into one of the 5"
bays. It has four rheostats , but I only use two, one for the intake
and one for the exhaust. It's strictly manual, but it allows me to
have the fans at the lowest settings for normal use and I just turn
them up all the way for games and other CPU and memory intensive
applications. Very quiet system on the low settings. Also, I have
the Aeroflow; it is very effective on my A7n8X/2500+/Corsair 512 3200
system-very highly recommended from all reviewers, quiet, reasonable
cost, and easy to install. The thermal paste it comes with also got
pretty good marks from one of the review sites I researched.

Larry

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 23:37:36 -0600, "Wayne"
wrote:

Hello. Am wondering how to control my case fan speeds on my first shot at
building a computer.

I have a Lian Li case with 3 exhaust and 2 intake fans in addition to the
power supply fan. I have an Antec TruePower 430 power supply which had

two
connectors marked "fan". I connected these to the 3 exhaust fan (the

intake
fan has its own speed switch).

Motherboard monitor and bios report 1700 rpm for the power fan. The other

3
case fans are running at about the same speed. This is nice and quiet but

my
temperatures are a bit high (the EPOX 3RGA+ temps are cpu 51 C and case

38 C
with room temperature of 26 C, without load). I have my AMD Athelon 2400+
set to FBS 166 to equal memory speed and am using a multiplier of 12 for

5% overclock or so, with stock voltages.

Is the power supply controlling the case fan speeds? Can I change this
speed? Should I be using the "chassis fan connector" on the motherboard
(this is a very small 3 prong connector)?

I am thinking of upgrading my stock cpu cooler for a Vantec Aeroflow to

see
if this helps.

Thanks,

Wayne

Old July 2nd 03, 05:20 AM
Ozzy

No RMP readout, but just remember to keep small children and animals
away from the intake when it is turned up high. :-)
Ozzy

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 21:51:10 -0600, "Wayne"
wrote:

Thanks, Ozzy. I just looked up a review, that looks perfect. Do you get an
RPM readout anywhere or will I have to use my percision windsurfing
anenometer to measure air flow? :-)

Also glad the aeroflow works well.

.. .