DVD burning software

Old January 6th 07, 09:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ole

Default DVD burning software

I have a Dell Gen 3 about 1 1/2 years old with two dvd drives. The
burning software "Sonic" that came loaded on it is crap.

Can someone recommend a better burning software?

What I want to do is burn slideshow digital photos to dvd so that I can
view them on my TV dvd player

Thanks
Old January 6th 07, 09:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

You can try one of two free cd/dvd burning packages, cdburnerxppro or burn4free
..
I'm not sure what format your TV DVD player accepts. You may need more than a
DVD burning package to change the photos into one of the formats used by the TV
DVD player.

Sonic is very basic software... Ben Myers

Old January 7th 07, 01:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

I'd recommend late versions of Roxio (version 7 or later) or Nero
(version 6 or later). Both should be fully updated from their
respective web sites after initial installation.

Do not install the "packet writing" software option of any of these
products, and remove the packet writing software option of the Sonic
package (Sonic calls it "DLA" (drive letter access); Roxio calls it
either "Direct CD" or "Drag to Disc"; Nero calls it "InCD").

Old January 7th 07, 06:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Ben Myers wrote:
You can try one of two free cd/dvd burning packages, cdburnerxppro or burn4free

Burn4free has a minor spyware item that can be cleaned with an
antispyware program (it will still work)

CDburnerXpPro has an occasional incompatibility with drives.

.

Old January 7th 07, 09:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold

Check out Picasa2. I know that it can create self starting CDs. Not sure
about DVDs.....

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Old January 7th 07, 01:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ole

Ole wrote:
I have a Dell Gen 3 about 1 1/2 years old with two dvd drives. The
burning software "Sonic" that came loaded on it is crap.

Can someone recommend a better burning software?

What I want to do is burn slideshow digital photos to dvd so that I can
view them on my TV dvd player

Thanks

I think I have to revise my request for software recommendations.

I think what I need is a recommendation for sideshow software that will
enable me to burn cd's or dvd's and watch them on a tv dvd player.
Maybe something from Adobe or equivalent.

Thanks
Old January 7th 07, 01:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

CDburnerXpPro's incompatibility problems pale with the problems of trying to use
an older version of either Roxio or Nero with a newer drive. Both of the
commercial products build extensive tables of supported drives in the registry.
If your drive is not in the table, forget it... Ben Myers

Old January 7th 07, 02:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

"Ole" wrote in message
Ole wrote:
I have a Dell Gen 3 about 1 1/2 years old with two dvd drives. The
burning software "Sonic" that came loaded on it is crap.

Can someone recommend a better burning software?

What I want to do is burn slideshow digital photos to dvd so that I can
view them on my TV dvd player

Thanks

I think I have to revise my request for software recommendations.

I think what I need is a recommendation for sideshow software that will
enable me to burn cd's or dvd's and watch them on a tv dvd player. Maybe
something from Adobe or equivalent.

Thanks

Roxio EMC v. 7 and up will do just fine. I recently up-graded to v. 9 and
it is a bit of a pig.

Old January 7th 07, 02:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nota Clu

Do not install the "packet writing" software option of any of these
products, and remove the packet writing software option of the Sonic
package (Sonic calls it "DLA" (drive letter access); Roxio calls it either
"Direct CD" or "Drag to Disc"; Nero calls it "InCD").

Why un-install Drag to Disc? What are its "issues"?
TIA

Old January 7th 07, 03:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

The only issue I can see is the unreliability of CD-RW and DVD-RW rewritable
media, which are expensive to buy. Overall, people are much better off with
the cheaper "write-once" media, which can also be reused to certain extent if
the CD/DVD burning software supports multi-session burning.

Perhaps Barry can describe any other issues more eloquently... Ben Myers