Coolers for Core2 E6700

Old November 27th 06, 04:44 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.hardware.
General Schvantzkoph

Default Coolers for Core2 E6700

I'm about to put together a E6700 Core2 system as a compute server, both
cores will be under heavy load for long periods of time, I won't be
overclocking. Is the stock Intel cooler adequate or should I use a better
cooler?
Old November 27th 06, 06:33 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.hardware.
Bill Davidsen

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
I'm about to put together a E6700 Core2 system as a compute server, both
cores will be under heavy load for long periods of time, I won't be
overclocking. Is the stock Intel cooler adequate or should I use a better
cooler?

For what it's worth, I see no temp issues on a 6600 with the standard
cooler and heavy CPU load.

--
Bill Davidsen
Old November 28th 06, 12:02 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.hardware.
DaveW

It is highly recommended, for your uses, that you invest in something like a
Zalman cooler.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old November 28th 06, 10:49 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.hardware.
Fidelis K

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I'm about to put together a E6700 Core2 system as a compute server, both
cores will be under heavy load for long periods of time, I won't be
overclocking. Is the stock Intel cooler adequate or should I use a better
cooler?

The stock cooler is more than adequate. Otherwise, Intel would face class
action lawsuit. But, I have always used Zalman coolers not necessarily
because of its cooling capabilities but because of its quietness.

Old November 29th 06, 04:27 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.hardware.
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 17:49:56 -0500, Fidelis K wrote:

"General Schvantzkoph" wrote in message
I'm about to put together a E6700 Core2 system as a compute server, both
cores will be under heavy load for long periods of time, I won't be
overclocking. Is the stock Intel cooler adequate or should I use a better
cooler?

The stock cooler is more than adequate. Otherwise, Intel would face class
action lawsuit. But, I have always used Zalman coolers not necessarily
because of its cooling capabilities but because of its quietness.

Thanks to all who've responded. I've ordered a system from MonarchComputer
with the Intel stock cooler. Monarch isn't offering any alternative
coolers with Core2s because the weight of the good coolers is so high that
they rip off during shipment. They have a point, the Thermaltake Big
Typhoon is over 800 grams, the Zalman is nearly as heavy.
Old November 29th 06, 11:04 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.hardware.
Fidelis K

[...]

You can always replace the stock fan with a Zalman later, and it's so easy
to install a Zalman cooler.