Dell Dimension 2400/3000 and bootable USB? Please help.

Old August 22nd 05, 04:06 PM
win in ram

Default Dell Dimension 2400/3000 and bootable USB? Please help.

I bought a used Dimension 2400 and 3000 last year for home use. Recently, I
read about bootable USB and was wondering how well Dell Dimension 2400 and
3000 PCs are at it? At work, the newer Dell PCs seem to have no problem. In
fact, I allowed the CD drive to be bootable with USB being the next followed
by the hard drive and after putting in my older Windows 98 SE CD and booting
from it, the USB pen drive was recognized as the C: drive even by fdisk and
after doing a format c: /s on the usb pen drive, I was able to boot to it
just like a DOS floppy although I'm not sure I could install the entire OS
on the pen drive that only 256MB. Does Dimension 2400 and 3000 support
booting off USB like what I mentioned? If not, how does booting off the USB
work in those two PCs?

Old August 22nd 05, 04:20 PM
Pen

Turn it on in the BIOS.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/syssetup.htm
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1054637

Old August 22nd 05, 05:35 PM
win in ram

"Pen" wrote in message
Turn it on in the BIOS.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...n/syssetup.htm
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1054637

Ok, thanks. Glad to hear that both can do bootable USB everything including
usbcd. One question though. I have a 256MB pen drive which I left formatted
as FAT16 and I copied my DOS games to the drive. Some of them don't work
effectively under XP, even tried VDMsound and DOSBOX. However, I do have a
bootable dos CD with all the sound card drivers and would like to know if
upon bootup the BIOS treats the USB pen drive as a fixed disk (assuming
INT13) and thus tricks DOS/Win9x into seeing it as a fixed hard disk so that
when I type c:, it goes to the pen drive since my actual fixed drive is NTFS
formatted and DOS won't recognize it of course.