Dot Matrix printers

Old June 10th 05, 11:38 PM
jorge

Default Dot Matrix printers

I've have had many problems with many Ink Jet / laser printers from
replacement cartridges to USB's failure to reinstall etc.
I also still have a Star NX-2320 dot matrix printer that ran forever until I
upgraded to XP. Where can I find an updated driver to let me use it under
Win XP? Star Micronics US doesn't recognize it. Thank you.

Old June 11th 05, 03:42 AM
zakezuke

I also still have a Star NX-2320 dot matrix printer that ran forever until I
upgraded to XP.

My memory is so very vague on which micronics printers i've had, but
the last one I used I believe was the NX-2124 rainbow. 24 pin, extra
foam, quiet mode, one line LCD display. I remember it was one of the
few printers not worthless without the manual. I gave it away but used
the stock Win2k and WinXP drivers and picked the only Rainbow option in
the model number range which would be nx-2420 rainbow.

The driver IIRC is very generic, and installing just about anything
from the star micronics nx class also installs windows fonts. Using
those in word will allow word to display WYSIWYG and actually have your
text flow normaly even using the printer's proportional fonts. Using
windows fonts makes the whole process slow and slugish on the best of
days.

What I find odd is there a "NX-1000" driver, which would have been an
older 9pin printer also in a rainbow model. I sold that much earlier.
I laugh that it's supported in WinXP yet I had to muck around and find
a newer more expensive model that was pretty much the apex of dot
matrix printers before inkjets became vogue.

If worse comes to worse, this should install the printer's xp driver
which installs the stock fonts into windows and you can at least use
them in word or whatever, install a generic text printer manualy
selecting the front.

Old June 11th 05, 11:25 AM
Arthur Entlich

You may have to try hit and miss using the XP "in box" drivers (those
provided by MicroSoft) until you hit one that works (or not ;-))

Art

Old June 11th 05, 11:28 AM
Arthur Entlich

One other thought, if you still have your printer manual, you may be
able to change the emulation the printer uses. Some can emulate older
Epson standard or IBM standard drivers, which you may be able to switch
with some dip switch changes. Then try the drivers within XP that work
with those emulated printers.

Art

Dot Matrix Printers Bill Printers 9 December 28th 04 05:17 AM
Why are dot matrix printers used for? Jake Printers 16 October 11th 04 04:38 AM
Cheap Used Dot Matrix Printers? Obadiah Printers 2 August 19th 04 01:02 PM
line matrix printers? Alan Zhong Printers 4 June 23rd 04 07:59 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM