CPU and Memory- Burn-In- Recommend?

Old September 2nd 05, 08:07 PM
QZ

Default CPU and Memory- Burn-In- Recommend?

What are the latest recommended programs for burn-in testing of CPUs and
RAM?
I will be running them at stock speeds.

Thanks,
QZ

Old September 3rd 05, 01:06 AM
George Macdonald

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:07:54 -0400, "QZ" nothing wrote:

What are the latest recommended programs for burn-in testing of CPUs and
RAM?
I will be running them at stock speeds.

On a new machine I run memtest86+ www.memtest.org first for a couple of
hours, then the hard drive mfr's full scan. Both of those run without an
OS installed of course. That gives enough confidence to install the OS
after which I run Prime95's Torture Test www.mersenne.org.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old September 3rd 05, 03:28 AM
Robert Redelmeier

QZ nothing wrote:
What are the latest recommended programs for burn-in testing
of CPUs and RAM? I will be running them at stock speeds.

Perhaps I shouldn't toot my own horn, but I _progressively_
validate the system by testing outwards from proven components:

1) Test CPU, cooling, PSU & mobo PS with `burnK7` 30min
2) Test L1 with `burnMMX F` 15min - optional
3) Test L2 with `burnMMX H` 15min - optional
4) Test Northbridge, RAM busses & 3.3V PSU with `burnMMX P` 6hr
5) Test RAM cells with `memtest86` 16hr
6) Test HD (& 5V PSU) with looping md5sums 8hr

Obviously any early failure stops the series. Failure
isolation is important, and one reason I leave `cpuburn`
as a collection of pesky small pgms.

-- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm

Old September 3rd 05, 04:06 AM
YKhan

http://tinyurl.com/dv2ue

Old September 3rd 05, 07:33 PM
QZ

"George Macdonald" wrote in message
On a new machine I run memtest86+ www.memtest.org first for a couple of
hours, then the hard drive mfr's full scan. Both of those run without an
OS installed of course. That gives enough confidence to install the OS
after which I run Prime95's Torture Test www.mersenne.org.

Well, I am using an existing HDD, so that part is optional.

As far as memtest86+ is concerned, last year, I couldn't get it to run.
IIRC, it runs from a floppy. So, I used memtest+ instead. But, I would like
advice on memtest86+.

And I used Prime95.

Old September 3rd 05, 07:33 PM
QZ

"Robert Redelmeier" wrote in message
.. .
Perhaps I shouldn't toot my own horn, but I _progressively_
validate the system by testing outwards from proven components:

1) Test CPU, cooling, PSU & mobo PS with `burnK7` 30min
2) Test L1 with `burnMMX F` 15min - optional
3) Test L2 with `burnMMX H` 15min - optional
4) Test Northbridge, RAM busses & 3.3V PSU with `burnMMX P` 6hr
5) Test RAM cells with `memtest86` 16hr
6) Test HD (& 5V PSU) with looping md5sums 8hr

Obviously any early failure stops the series. Failure
isolation is important, and one reason I leave `cpuburn`
as a collection of pesky small pgms.

I guess since the HDD test is last, these are all tested w/o WinXP
installed?
This just a Celeron D CPU; is burnK7 still recommended?

Old September 3rd 05, 10:28 PM
Cuzman

QZ wrote:

" What are the latest recommended programs for burn-in testing of CPUs
and RAM? I will be running them at stock speeds. "

There's a few he http://www.benchmarkhq.ru/english.html?/be_cpu.html

....but I tend to like SuperPi and S&M.

Old September 4th 05, 12:23 PM
George Macdonald

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 14:33:44 -0400, "QZ" nothing wrote:

"George Macdonald" wrote in message
.. .
On a new machine I run memtest86+ www.memtest.org first for a couple of
hours, then the hard drive mfr's full scan. Both of those run without an
OS installed of course. That gives enough confidence to install the OS
after which I run Prime95's Torture Test www.mersenne.org.

Well, I am using an existing HDD, so that part is optional.

Does a chkdsk show any bad sectors?

As far as memtest86+ is concerned, last year, I couldn't get it to run.
IIRC, it runs from a floppy. So, I used memtest+ instead. But, I would like
advice on memtest86+.

Memtest86+ has run fine for me on recent systems - sometimes it takes them
a couple of goes to get a new memory controller/chipset just right. You can
run it from a floppy, a USB memory key or a CD-R.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald
Old September 4th 05, 05:58 PM
Robert Redelmeier

QZ nothing wrote:
I guess since the HDD test is last, these are all tested
w/o WinXP installed?

You can test with anything installed. The utils are very
small and not dependant on libs, so can be run from floppy
or bootable CD. The HDD test is best run on a disk with
some data on it, but unmounted or mounted read-only in
case it might hit access time.

This just a Celeron D CPU; is burnK7 still recommended?

No. AFAIK Celeron D is a P7 core and I haven't released an
executable. I'm working the signals so that I can detect
throttling. None of burnP* or burnK* is all that good.
burnMMX C is probably the best, but is still not hottest.

-- Robert author `cpuburn` http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm

Old September 5th 05, 05:44 AM
larry moe 'n curly

QZ wrote:
What are the latest recommended programs for burn-in testing of CPUs and
RAM?

I don't know about CPU testing, but for memory I use both MemTest86
(I've never tried MemTest86+) AND Gold Memory because I've had modules
that passed one but failed the other, most recently a Kingston 512M
PC3200 ValueRAM that always ran fine for several hours with MemTest86
but always showed errors within ten minutes with Gold Memory. The
replacement Kingston tested fine with both. www.realworldtech.com has
two reviews of memory test programs and thought highly of both
diagnostics.