ASUS P4C800E-DELUXE PROBLEMS PROBLEMS

Old August 26th 05, 03:16 PM
jime

Default ASUS P4C800E-DELUXE PROBLEMS PROBLEMS

My system has been running great or several months. Now it has been giving
me fits. I get on line for 5 minutes and disconnect. The cable company came,
checked everything.
they determined it is my system. I reinstalled my old system (the one I am
using now) and I can stay on line so they are right.

Programs shortcuts stop working. Once after post I got message 'the file
hal.dll is missing or corrupt'.
Other strange things.
The problems are more often as time go on.
I ran the memory test and all was ok.

My hard drives run very warm.

I have a job I must get out so I will reload XP and aps in a few days.

My gut tells me it is a hardware bug?

Help!
Regards,
Jim

Old August 26th 05, 03:28 PM
jime

I should have told more about my system
Antec 500w ps.
p4 300. I am not overclocking.
zalman cnps7700 cpu fan.
mushkin 1gb memory.
3 HDs all WD and the smart data is good.
ati 9600 video.

Jim

Old August 26th 05, 07:22 PM
Bob Willard

jime wrote:
My system has been running great or several months. Now it has been giving
me fits. I get on line for 5 minutes and disconnect. The cable company came,
checked everything.
they determined it is my system. I reinstalled my old system (the one I am
using now) and I can stay on line so they are right.

Programs shortcuts stop working. Once after post I got message 'the file
hal.dll is missing or corrupt'.
Other strange things.
The problems are more often as time go on.
I ran the memory test and all was ok.

My hard drives run very warm.

I have a job I must get out so I will reload XP and aps in a few days.

My gut tells me it is a hardware bug?

Help!
Regards,
Jim

If the HDs are too hot, it may simply be inadequate airflow around the HDs.
Open the tower and clean the filters, blow out any dust around the HDs, and
(of course) make sure all box fans are spinning. While you have the box
open, blow the dust from the CPU heatsink, and make sure its fan spins.
--
Cheers, Bob
Old August 26th 05, 08:44 PM
Paul

In article , Bob Willard
wrote:

jime wrote:
[...]

To expand on that a bit - if the room temperature is 25C, then the
computer enclosure should be about 7-10C hotter if properly cooled.
If it is 20C hotter than the room, that is too much. If you are
using an older computer case, there may not be enough room for
ventilation on the case. Even if you are using a modern case (like
Antec Sonata), and there is a 120mm fan on the back of the computer,
there may not be sufficient holes in the front of the case for the
air to get in. I removed some of the plastic from the front of my
Sonata (the lower section), and the inside air temp dropped about
7C.

In other words, work on your case cooling.

Hard drives are both temperature and humidity sensitive. The more
relative humidity in the room, the lower the allowed temperature.
At 60% humidity (the point where carpeting starts to mildew and
the room develops an odour), you are allowed about 35C disk drive
case temperature. If your computer room is air conditioned,
the humidity could drop to around 40% or so, which is not as bad
for the drive.

Also, even if the Asus Probe reported case air temperature is 35C,
it could be that the hard drives are located in a "dead spot"
in the case, in terms of air flow. Either use a drive tray that
has a fan mounted in front of the tray, or build your own cooling
solution. For example, I did the following mod to one of my cases.

+------------------+
|PSU Disk X ------- Externally mounted 80mm
| Drives X
| |
| X ------- The normal internal 80mm
+------------------+

The externally mounted fan is held in place by some aluminum angle
iron, and a piece of sheet metal with a hole for the 80mm fan
controls air flow, so there is positive pressure into the case
around that fan. The lower fan helps keep the dust swirling around
inside the case, so the dust will fly out the back without settling
on the components.

HTH,
Paul
Old August 26th 05, 10:07 PM
Lynn McGuire

My system has been running great or several months. Now it has been giving me fits. I get on line for 5 minutes and disconnect.
The cable company came, checked everything.
they determined it is my system. I reinstalled my old system (the one I am using now) and I can stay on line so they are right.

Check your motherboard capacitors:

Lynn

Old August 26th 05, 10:14 PM
Lynn McGuire

My system has been running great or several months. Now it has been giving me fits. I get on line for 5 minutes and disconnect.
The cable company came, checked everything.
they determined it is my system. I reinstalled my old system (the one I am using now) and I can stay on line so they are right.

Check your motherboard capacitors:

And http://www.badcaps.com/

Lynn

Old August 27th 05, 04:32 AM
Paul

In article , "Lynn McGuire"
wrote:

My system has been running great or several months. Now it has been

giving me fits. I get on line for 5 minutes and disconnect.
The cable company came, checked everything.
they determined it is my system. I reinstalled my old system (the one

I am using now) and I can stay on line so they are right.

Check your motherboard capacitors:

And http://www.badcaps.com/

Lynn

Asus is not on "Homey's" A list. Perhaps you could email Homey and
see what his current field return rate statistics are like ?

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

It is true that any board can be subject to an electrolytic
capacitor failure. That is the nature of statistics - occasionally
someone will get unlucky. And running the capacitors at elevated
temperature does reduce their life. But the Asus failure rate
should be nowhere near the rate for Abit.

http://www.abitsettlement.com/

Paul