Is ATI Radeon HD 4350's temperatures from 56C/132F to 60C/139F degrees consider too hot?

Old July 11th 11, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

Default Is ATI Radeon HD 4350's temperatures from 56C/132F to 60C/139F degrees consider too hot?

Hello.

I would like to know if my my preinstalled ATI Radeon HD 4350 video
card's temperatures (56C/132F to 60C/139F degrees) in my 1.5 years old
Dell Studio XPS 8800 are considered too hot/high? I don't game on this
office PC so I am going to assume these are just low usages.

I am trying to figure out why my preinstalled, updated 64-bit W7 HP is
crashing after a day or so (has been getting worse slowly for a few
months [used to take a few months, then weeks, and now days for random
hanging or blue screen problems to appear so I think something is broken
or an hardware issue). Inside looked clean to me. Warm and cool air
flows blow out from the PC's rear case vents.

I ran the latest free System Information for Windows (SIW.exe) and got
these sensors results:
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg30/...f &res=medium
.... I am concerned about those temperature readings on my video card
that came with this PC, and maybe it is causing the crashes?

Does anyone know which one is the video card's fan if it is shown? If it
is not shown, then how can I find out its readings?

Thank you in advance.
--
Quote of the Week: "If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury.
If I want to be a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing
Old July 11th 11, 11:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ed Light

Those temps are ok, but high for when not gaming. I'm assuming the 4350
doesn't have a fan. It *should* be able to run like that without crashing.

I have one which I had in a couple of PCs. Though it has a double-wide
passive heatsink, it ran pretty hot. I used a Zalman fan bracket (google
"zalman fan bracket") to suspend a slow (for quietness) 80mm fan over
it, which cooled it down alot. I was thinking about longevity - every
10C is supposed to shorten electronics' lives by 1/2. Also I was running
a train sim, which pushed it way up there temp-wise when it was in 3D mode.

Another way is to put a front fan in the case, if it can take one.

However, probably the video card isn't crashing you.

If the card does have a fan, maybe the heatsink fins are getting full of
dust.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 13th 11, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

Ed Light wrote:
Those temps are ok, but high for when not gaming. I'm assuming the 4350
doesn't have a fan. It *should* be able to run like that without crashing.

OK. Thanks. Rage3D and ATI forums say the values are fine. Fans do spin.

I have one which I had in a couple of PCs. Though it has a double-wide
passive heatsink, it ran pretty hot. I used a Zalman fan bracket (google
"zalman fan bracket") to suspend a slow (for quietness) 80mm fan over
it, which cooled it down alot. I was thinking about longevity - every
10C is supposed to shorten electronics' lives by 1/2. Also I was running
a train sim, which pushed it way up there temp-wise when it was in 3D mode.

Another way is to put a front fan in the case, if it can take one.

However, probably the video card isn't crashing you.

If the card does have a fan, maybe the heatsink fins are getting full of
dust.

The inside of the case looked clean to me.
Old July 14th 11, 12:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ed Light

Ant wrote:

If the card does have a fan, maybe the heatsink fins are getting full of
dust.

The inside of the case looked clean to me.

Video cards can have finely spaced fins that are enclosed under a cover,
with a fan blowing through them. They can be real dust magnets. Even in
a clean-looking case, periodic removal of the card to blast dust out
with poofs from an air can may be needed. Best if there's a way to
remove the cover and pick out wadded-in dust with a paper clip unfolded
and bent at the end.