Seagate 7200.8 133GB per disc?

Old January 2nd 05, 05:18 AM
Andreas Wohlfeld

Default Seagate 7200.8 133GB per disc?

Hi,

the 7200.8 series is supposed to have 133 GB per disc, so 67GB per side.
How does seagate then get 250GB or 300GB versions?
200GB is three sides, 400GB six sides. But I would suspect a 266GB and a
333GB version, not 250/300GB. Do they leave some space unformatted?

--
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.
Old January 2nd 05, 07:17 PM
Tod

I believe they block out the extra space.
I would assume that when they make the 133GB patters, not all of the storage
on the patter may work.
So they can use two 133GB patters and have up to 16GB of bad storage and
still be able to have the 250GB of good reliable storage space.

Old January 3rd 05, 11:49 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Andreas Wohlfeld" wrote in message
Hi,

the 7200.8 series is supposed to have 133 GB per disc, so 67GB per side.

How does seagate then get 250GB or 300GB versions?

Read the drive manual and find out?

Old January 7th 05, 08:05 PM
David Chien

In fact, on some HDs, you can even recover that extra, hidden space:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14597

READER WILEY SILER has sent us a method which he said was discovered by
Scott Komblue and documented by himself which they claim can recover
unused areas of the hard drive in the form of hidden partitions.

We haven't tried this here at the INQUIRER, and would caution readers
that messing with your hard drive is done at your own peril and very
likely breaches your warranty. Here is what Wiley and Scott did. µ

* UPDATE Does this work? We're not going to try it on our own machine
thank you very much. Instead, we're waiting for a call from a hard drive
company so we can get its take on these claims.

** UPDATE II A representative for large hard drive distributor Bell
Micro said: "This is NOT undocumented and we have done this in the past
to load an image of the original installation of the software. When the
client corrupted the o/s we had a boot floppy thatopened the unseen
partition and copied it to the active or seen partition. It is a not a
new feature or discovery. We use it ourselves without any qualms".

*** UPDATE III See the letters column today, here.

Required items
Ghost 2003 Build 2003.775 (Be sure not to allow patching of this
software) 2 X Hard Drives (OS must be installed on both.) For sake of
clarity we will call the drive we are trying to expand (T) in this
document (means Target for partition recover). The drive you use every
day, I assume you have one that you want to keep as mater with your
current OS and data, will be the last dive we install in this process
and will be called (X) as it is your original drive.

1. Install the HDD you wish to recover the hidden partitions (hard drive
T) on as the master drive in your system with a second drive as a slave
(you can use Hard Drive X if you want to). Any drive will do as a slave
since we will not be writing data to it. However, Ghost must see a
second drive in order to complete the following steps. Also, be sure
hard drive T has an OS installed on it You must ensure that the file
system type is the same on both drive (NTFS to NTFS or FAT32 to FAT32, etc)

2. Install Ghost 2003 build 2003.775 to hard drive T with standard
settings. Reboot if required.

3. Open Ghost and select Ghost Basic. Select Backup from the shown list
of options. Select C:\ (this is the drive we want to free partition on
on hard drive T) as our source for the backup. Select our second drive
as the target. (no data will be written so worry not). Use any name when
requested as it will not matter. Press OK, Continue, or Next until you
are asked to reboot.

Critical step
4. Once reboot begins, you must shutdown the PC prior to the loading of
DOS or any drivers. The best method is to power down the PC manually the
moment you see the BIOS load and your HDDs show as detected.

5. Now that you have shutdown prior to allowing Ghost to do its backup,
you must remove the HDD we are attempting to expand (hard drive T which
we had installed as master) and replace it with a drive that has an OS
installed on it. (This is where having hard drive X is useful. You can
use your old hard drive to complete the process.) Place hard drive T as
a secondary drive in the system. Hard drive X should now be the master
and you should be able to boot into the OS on it. The best method for
this assuming you need to keep data from and old drive is:

Once you boot into the OS, you will see that the second drive in the
system is the one we are attempting to expand (hard drive T). Go to
Computer Management - Disk Management

You should see an 8 meg partition labeled VPSGHBOOT or similar on the
slave HDD (hard drive T) along with a large section of unallocated space
that did not show before. DO NOT DELETE VPSGHBOOT yet.

6. Select the unallocated space on our drive T and create a new primary
or extended partition. Select the file system type you prefer and format
with quick format (if available). Once formatting completes, you can
delete the VPSGHBOOT partition from the drive.

7. Here is what you should now see on your T drive.

a. Original partition from when the drive still had hidden partitions
b. New partition of space we just recovered.
c. 8 meg unallocated partitions.

8. Do you want to place drive T back in a PC and run it as the primary
HDD? Go to Disk Management and set the original partition on T (not the
new one we just formatted) to and Active Partition. It should be
bootable again if no data corruption has occurred.

Caution
Do not try to delete both partitions on the drive so you can create one
large partition. This will not work. You have to leave the two
partitions separate in order to use them. Windows disk management will
have erroneous data in that it will say drive size = manus stated drive
size and then available size will equal ALL the available space with
recovered partitions included.

This process can cause a loss of data on the drive that is having its
partitions recovered so it is best to make sure the HDD you use is not
your current working HDD that has important data. If you do this on your
everyday drive and not a new drive with just junk on it, you do so at
your own risk. It has worked completely fine with no loss before and it
has also lost the data on the drive before. Since the idea is to yield a
huge storage drive, it should not matter.

Interesting results to date:
Western Digital 200GB SATA
Yield after recovery: 510GB of space

IBM Deskstar 80GB EIDE
Yield after recovery: 150GB of space

Maxtor 40GB EIDE
Yield after recovery: 80GB

Seagate 20GB EIDE
Yield after recovery: 30GB

Unknown laptop 80GB HDD
Yield: 120GB
Old January 7th 05, 11:03 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"David Chien" wrote in message
In fact, on some HDs, you can even recover that extra, hidden space:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14597

READER WILEY SILER .....

Stupid Troll.
Old January 8th 05, 10:46 AM
Mike Redrobe

"David Chien" wrote:...
In fact, on some HDs, you can even recover that extra, hidden space:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14597

READER WILEY SILER has sent us a method which he said was discovered by
Scott Komblue and documented by himself which they claim can recover
unused areas of the hard drive in the form of hidden partitions.

Nope .. just a new way of making two overlapping partitions, which will
corrupt each other as soon as you actually FILL them with data.

Is it April 1st already?

--
Mike

Old January 20th 05, 05:20 PM
Folkert Rienstra

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"Andreas Wohlfeld" wrote in message
Hi,

the 7200.8 series is supposed to have 133 GB per disc, so 67GB per side.

How does seagate then get 250GB or 300GB versions?

Read the drive manual and find out?

Read it yourself and find out that seagate's specification doesn't say how.
:-)

That is a pity. They used to still detail that with the 7200.7, which btw
revealed that the 200GB version is a 7200.7 Plus, with larger capacity
platters (100GB) than the rest of the 7200.7 (80GB).

Sounds like they may be joining the ranks with the Maxtors and Western Digitals
of today, where they can sell you anything as long as the capacity is correct.

"200GB is three sides, 400GB six sides. "

Strangely enough all earlier ATA Barras (-4, -5, 7200.7) only had 2
platters max. The 7200.8 would be the first exception with 3 platters.
Are you sure about the 133GB platters?

Oh well, answered that myself:
The platter areal density of the 7200.7 200GB is 68,500 Mbits/sq.inch
The platter areal density of the 7200.8 (apparently) is 91,560 Mbits/sq.inch
91.5/68.5 * 100GB makes 133GB.

" But I would suspect a 266GB and a 333GB version, not 250/300GB. "

Apparently they go for the round numbers or full multiples of some
previous capacities. The advantage of rounding some capacities in
between is that they may become the next multiple, e.g. the 250 GB
makes it easier to go to a 500GB version in stead of a 600GB one.

"Do they leave some space unformatted?"

Probably, as different densities would alter some specs, but then *what specs*?
They only spec the max STR and the seek numbers appear rounded so who is
to complain. Maybe the spare sector pool is up-ped with the difference.

Old February 15th 05, 09:21 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Mark M" wrote in message
On 02 Jan 2005, Andreas Wohlfeld wrote:

the 7200.8 series is supposed to have 133 GB per disc, so 67GB
per side. How does seagate then get 250GB or 300GB versions?
200GB is three sides, 400GB six sides. But I would suspect a
266GB and a 333GB version, not 250/300GB. Do they leave some
space unformatted?

Maybe Seagate changes platter capacity even within a series?

Gee Mark, what an original thought.

I know Maxtor did that to its PlusMax 9. Maxtor had intended to
use high capacity platters but there seem to have been some sort of
problem and it was launched with a slightly lower capacity platter.

So then, did they sell the drives for a higher capacity than they in
actual fact were?

Over time the higher capacity platters came onstreak ok and were
used.

Old February 17th 05, 11:15 PM
Folkert Rienstra

On 15 Feb 2005, Folkert Rienstra wrote:

Gee Mark, what an original thought.

Thank you Folkert for your observation.

Observation that you stole it from my post 4 weeks
earlier and that it wasn't at all original, Mark?

Maybe I too can offer an original thought you seem to have overlooked
when you ask me the question below:

Gee Folkert, why not try Google and find this for yourself:

How original.

---------- QUOTE ---------
"When they originally announced the DiamondMax Plus 9 (along with
the Plus 8, DiamondMax 16, and Fireball 3) back in September, Maxtor
trumpeted the fact that it would be the first firm to deploy 80-
gigabyte platters across its entire ATA drive line. Surely enough,
DM+9s trickled into the channel about a month later. Interestingly,
however, there were indications that these drives in fact did not
incorporate 80/GB platters as Maxtor initially indicated.

In perhaps the surest sign yet that formerly inexorable increases in
areal density are slowing, Maxtor quietly backed away from the 80 GB
spec. The platters, and perhaps more importantly the supporting
parts necessary to extract data so closely packed together, have been
experiencing unusually low yields. As a result, Maxtor pushed the
Plus 9 to market incorporating 60- and 68- in addition to the 80-
gigabyte per platter disks. Though various members of the family
feature differing platter densities and hence differing transfer
rates and access times, Maxtor claims that all three densities will
yield similar performance.

http://www.storagereview.com/article...6Y200x0_1.html
--------- UNQUOTE --------

Well Mark, that too isn't exactly an original thought.

The above is not about just "slightly lower capacity" platters, it is about
using the previous (ie old technology) generation platters instead of the
new ones.

Btw, if you read between the lines it is questionable whether what they
wrote is even true or just speculation.

As you well know, a hard drive manufacturer may have platter capacity
on a given model which it chooses not to use.

That's the complete opposite of what that piece above is about, having
overcapacity on the platter for the smaller drive models that you want
to offer where the above quote is about failing to master the technology
to produce thec higher density platters that are needed to offer the
improved transfer rates of a newer model.

I didn't speak about platter capacity, I spoke of harddrive capacity.
You can't just use slightly smaller capacity platters without making
smaller drives. You have to use more platter sides, that then have to
be of a specific capacity to arrive at the specific drive capacity.

If you have any more questions then do not hesitate to try Google first.

I know Maxtor did that to its PlusMax 9. Maxtor had intended
to use high capacity platters but there seem to have been some
sort of problem and it was launched with a slightly lower capacity
platter.

So then, did they sell the drives for a higher capacity than they in
actual fact were?

Over time the higher capacity platters came onstreak ok and
were used.

Answer the question.

Old February 18th 05, 06:00 PM
Odie Ferrous

Mark M wrote:

Mark,

Don't waste your breath on Rienstra.

He's a little script kiddie, with no friends, and no life outside SCSI
and storage newsgroups.

He is under the impression that people like him because of his
knowledge, but he is in reality a little pipsqueak.

Again, don't bother.

I now see the funny side of Rienstra - and look forward to his posts.
Can't start the day without them. Of course, a sprinkling of Gisin is
the "salt and pepper" of my breakfast.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
writing cd`s biggmark Cdr 7 December 31st 04 08:57 AM
Seagate 7200.8: When? Pace Storage (alternative) 0 July 19th 04 10:47 AM
When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Seagate Redesigns Drives (with 73GB to 300GB capacities) Ablang General 0 May 23rd 04 04:01 AM