Help: Testing SCSI Drives in a Compaq

Old October 24th 03, 03:38 AM
Darren Harris

Default Help: Testing SCSI Drives in a Compaq

My main (SCSI)system no longer boots up completely and I would like to
find out if any of the hard drives are at fault.

I picked up another system so I can access the internet, and was
wondering if it is plausible to add a SCSI controller to it so that I
can transfer the SCSI drives in my main system to to the working one
to test them.

My two systems are as follows:

WORKING COMPUTER:
*****************
Compaq Deskpro
350MHz Pentium 2
128MB RAM
4.3GB Hard drive
56K modem
CD ROM drive
sound/video
USB

NON-WORKING SCSI COMPUTER:
**************************
450Mhz Pentium 2
128mb Installed
BIOS Award Modular Ver. 4.51
Award Plug & Play BIOS ext. Ver 1.0A
INI-9100UW SCSI BIOS Ver 1.10
P2-BX(Ver 1.20)
PGP2BXA Motherboard
ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 8megs(PCI)
Floppy drive(Generic)
Win Cruise V.90 Modem
SoundBlaster 16 SCSI-2 ASP(CT1770)
SCSI controller KW-910U/UW (PCI-Ultra SCSI)
CDrom CDU625(SONY)(SCSI ID #2)
1gb Jazz drive(SCSI ID #6)***Does not work***
2.25gb IBM(DFHSS2W)(SCSI ID #1)
4.50gb Seagate(ST34572N)(SCSI ID #0)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old October 24th 03, 03:48 AM
Rod Speed

Darren Harris wrote in message om...

My main (SCSI)system no longer boots up completely

What exactly where the symptoms you saw ?

and I would like to find out if any of the hard drives are at fault.

The usual approach is to boot from a bootable floppy and run
a diagnostic from that if you cant actually boot the system at all.
That alone would prove that the system can boot a floppy etc.

I picked up another system so I can access the internet,
and was wondering if it is plausible to add a SCSI
controller to it so that I can transfer the SCSI drives
in my main system to to the working one to test them.

Sure, and you could try initially just moving the
SCSI controller you already have from the dead
system to the working one and see if it will boot
with it in the system, with no drives attached.

Then move one of the SCSI drives, see if it still boots etc.

Or just give up on SCSI now and get a bigger IDE
drive and put it in which ever system you prefer.

[...]

I'd personally just give up on SCSI now with drives that small.

Old October 24th 03, 02:07 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Darren Harris" wrote in message om
My main (SCSI)system no longer boots up completely

As in?

and I would like to find out if any of the hard drives are at fault.

Run SCSITool, www.nu2.nu/scsitool

I picked up another system so I can access the internet, and was
wondering if it is plausible to add a SCSI controller to it so that I
can transfer the SCSI drives in my main system to to the working one
to test them.

You can, but since you had to ask (instead of already have done it)
I would advice against it.

Old October 24th 03, 04:25 PM
Eric Gisin

Start with a Win ME/XP boot floppy and issue "fdisk /status". Any drive it
lists is working well enough to read the MBR. If a drive doesn't show up, put
Bart's scsitool on the floppy and try that.

Old November 13th 03, 03:30 AM
Darren Harris

To elaborate. My pc started crashing at random. It would occur when
surfing the
internet anywhere from 1 minute to a couple of hours into the session.

Everything on the screen(including the cursor) would just stop, and
I'd have to re-boot and log on again.

The last time it happen, I was not allowed to completely re-boot, and
upon subsequent attempts, depending how far I was able to get in the
re-booting process, received various messages along the lines of the
following:
---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
"Abort,Retry,Ignore,Fail?"
---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
"Registry file is not found. Registry services may be inoperative for
this session."

"While initializing device VKD:"

"Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer."

"Press any key to continue."
---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
"General failure reading drive C"

"C:\WINDOWS\system\vmm32.vxd:Missing/unable to load."
---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
"The following file is Missing or Corrupted: HIMEM.SYS"
"The following file is Missing or Corrupted: DBLBUFF.SYS"
"The following file is Missing or Corrupted: IFSHLP.SYS"

"Type in the name of the Command
Interpereter.(eg.,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)"
C_
---------- ---------- ---------- ----------
All I can do when these messages appear is re-boot again. But the
crashing will occur as early as near the beginning of the first
screen(before the ram check).

Diagnostics prgrams are obviously not an option, even if I could
download them.(Most appear not to be able to fit on a single floppy).

Nevertheless, my goal is to see if my main "C" drive is at fault, and
to try to salvage what I can from it.

My present system is as follows:

HARDWARE
--------
450Mhz Pentium 2
128mb Installed
BIOS Award Modular Ver. 4.51
Award Plug & Play BIOS ext. Ver 1.0A
INI-9100UW SCSI BIOS Ver 1.10
P2-BX(Ver 1.20)
PGP2BXA Motherboard
ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 8megs(PCI)
Floppy drive(Generic)
Win Cruise V.90 Modem
SoundBlaster 16 SCSI-2 ASP(CT1770)
SCSI controller KW-910U/UW (PCI-Ultra SCSI)
CDrom CDU625(SONY)(SCSI ID #2)
1gb Jazz drive(SCSI ID #6)***Does not work***
2.25gb IBM(DFHSS2W)(SCSI ID #1)
4.50gb Seagate(ST34572N)(SCSI ID #0)
9.1gb Micropolis(3391WS) (In external case).(SCSI ID #4)/I have two
more identical drives

Windows98(4.10.1998) ***I have no disk or documentation for this
copy.***
Internet Explorer(4.72.3110)
PS/2 mouse
Keyboard
Monitor(IBM Model #7097-593)
I have a Micropolis Radion case(3 bays)
HP Netraid D4943-69002 3 channel controller

SOFTWARE THAT I HAVE HARD-COPIES OF:
------------------------------------
Windows98(SE)CD & boot disk(FLOPPY)
Motherboard(CD)
SCSI controller(2 Floppies)
Modem(CD)
graghics card(CD)
Installation disks for ISP(3 FLOPPIES).
PartitionMagic5.0(CD)
Drive Image 4.0(CD)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Old November 13th 03, 09:08 PM
Folkert Rienstra

Yes, so? Read the other post(s) again.
What did three (3!) people tell you to do?

"Darren Harris" wrote in message om
To elaborate. My pc started crashing at random. It would occur when
surfing the
internet anywhere from 1 minute to a couple of hours into the session.

Everything on the screen(including the cursor) would just stop, and
I'd have to re-boot and log on again.

[snip]

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old November 14th 03, 02:17 PM
Darren Harris

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message ...
Yes, so? Read the other post(s) again.
What did three (3!) people tell you to do?

Three things that don't work...

More importantly, I re-posted because two people(including yourself) wanted details.

Perhaps you should re-read the posts.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 December 30th 04 05:40 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 December 19th 04 12:58 PM
Newbie Question re hardware vs software RAID Gilgamesh General 44 November 22nd 04 10:52 PM
newb questions about SCSI hard drives fred.do General 7 June 26th 03 01:59 AM