2800XP V's 2500XP

Old August 24th 03, 01:24 PM
SM

Default 2800XP V's 2500XP

Is it worth spending the extra £60 for the higher speed processor( both
Barton Cores)
I will be OC on a new DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra,

is the 2500 more flexible?

Any help & Advice wiil be greatly appreciated

SM

Old August 24th 03, 02:49 PM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:20:49 GMT
"Wes Newell" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:24:14 +0000, SM wrote:
=20
Is it worth spending the extra =A360 for the higher speed processor(
both Barton Cores)

=20
Of course not. The answer is in your question. They are both Barton
cores. IOW's, they are the same cpu, just with different defaults.
Would you pay 50% more for a tire that was inflated to the max
compared to the same tire that was inflated to the minimum tire
pressure, when inflating it to the max would be the same as the first?
Basically, that is your question.

Not quite. Would you pay extra for a tire that was guaranteed to take
full inflation pressure vs one that is guaranteed only to take 10 psi
less than full inflation pressure? Or would you save a buck and pray
that the cheap tire was merely mismarked rather than being actually
unable to take the pressure?

The situations are not analogous for a number of reasons, one of the
major ones being that the worst that a failed processor does is become
an annoyance while a failed tire can kill you and your family, and
another being that tires that won't take full pressure are generally
destroyed rather than being sold as seconds. If you want to use tires,
then a better analogy would be a tire rated for 100 MPH being used at
150 MPH.

While all Bartons may be the same design and made in the same facility,
that does not mean that all will run at the same clock speed. And the
fact that you haven't personally encountered one that doesn't is not
relevant to the general statement. Personally I've never met a
sub-Saharan African with AIDS but that doesn't mean that they don't
exist in large numbers.

--=20

--=20
--=20
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 24th 03, 02:54 PM
J.Clarke

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:29:27 GMT
"SM" wrote:

=20
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:24:14 +0000, SM wrote:

Is it worth spending the extra =A360 for the higher speed processor(
both Barton Cores)

Of course not. The answer is in your question. They are both Barton
cores. IOW's, they are the same cpu, just with different defaults.
Would you pay 50% more for a tire that was inflated to the max
compared to the same tire that was inflated to the minimum tire
pressure, when inflating it to the max would be the same as the
first? Basically, that is your question.

--=20

=20
OT
go to tire tread NG????
=20
So tell me if I'm wrong
1.You would buy the 2500
2.your tire pressure is low
3.why pay over-inflated??? prices for basically the same core

Actually, the question is whether (a) you need to run at the higher
speed and (b) the (small) risk that the processor will either fail or
perform erratically at the higher speed is acceptable to you. If you're
designing bridges or monitoring life support systems then taking the
risk is probably not a good idea. If you're playing SIMS then it's
probably acceptable. That's a decision you have to make.

Unlike Wes, I don't believe in overclocking everything in sight. There
are times when it is appropriate and others when it is not.
=20
Thanks
=20
SM

Old August 24th 03, 05:03 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

"SM" wrote in message
Is it worth spending the extra £60 for the higher speed processor( both
Barton Cores)
I will be OC on a new DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra,

is the 2500 more flexible?

I got the 2500+ Barton and overclocked it a little. I changed the FSB from
166.6 to 200MHz and left the multiplier where it was at 11.0. I increased
the core voltage to 1.7v. It is only a couple of degrees centigrade hotter
at 2.2GHz than it was at 1.83GHz. I now have a 3200+ for $88US instead of
close to $500.

http://tinyurl.com/ku2b

BTW, if your mobo won't handle 200MHz, you can just increase the multiplier
from 11 to 12.5 to get the 2800+.

There are quite a few threads on which Barton to choose in the
overclocking.amd newsgroup.

Too_Much_Coffee ®

Old August 24th 03, 06:18 PM
John Theriault

Mine is @ 12.5X215... get the 2500xp...

Old August 24th 03, 07:26 PM
Too_Much_Coffee ®

.rogers.com...

"SM" wrote in message
[...]

Post a CPU-Z or WCPUID image somewhere so we can see it.

Old August 25th 03, 01:15 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 01:43:40 GMT
"Wes Newell" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:49:47 +0000, J.Clarke wrote:
=20
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 15:20:49 GMT
"Wes Newell" wrote:
=20
[...]

The tires were the same. That means same brand and model. Only one was
completely aired up. Note "same tire" above. Your response makes no
sense.=20

Wrong. 2800XP is not the "same model" as 2500XP.

While all Bartons may be the same design and made in the same
facility, that does not mean that all will run at the same clock
speed. And the

=20
That's true, some rated at slower clock speeds will actually run
faster than some rated at higher clock speeds. Proven fact.

And some rated at lower clock speeds won't run any faster than the rated
clock speed.

fact that you haven't personally encountered one that doesn't is not
relevant to the general statement. Personally I've never met a
sub-Saharan African with AIDS but that doesn't mean that they don't
exist in large numbers.
=20

I think you're getting a little carried away John.:-)

No, Wes, I'm not getting carried away. Anyone who has had any real
engineering experience knows that designing a system so that a component
is running out of spec is eventually going to bite you in the ass. And
that is exactly what you are doing any time you overclock.

You have some good advice for people, but your continued insistence that
every processor in the world is going to work the same way that the few
that you have personally encountered work is doing no service to
anybody.

--=20

When you have a thousand of those all running the same way reliably,
with no rejects, then maybe I'll be impressed.

Old August 25th 03, 01:18 AM
J.Clarke

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 01:57:19 GMT
"Wes Newell" wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:54:18 +0000, J.Clarke wrote:

Unlike Wes, I don't believe in overclocking everything in sight.
There are times when it is appropriate and others when it is not.

I don't even consider it overclocking until I go over the speed that
the manufacturer sells the core at.

I see. So you just willy-nilly assume that every processor of a given
design is going to perform exactly the same way as every other processor
of that design. I have mixed emotions about my wishes for you in this
regard--on the one hand I hope you continue to get away with this, on
the other hand it will serve you right if the time you get audited is
the time that the arithmetic functions on your overclocked processor are
off just enough to get you nailed with a half a million dollar fine.

There is something called a "manufacturing tolerance" with which you
might wish to familiarize yourself.

For the Barton, that's 2200MHz.
For the Tbred, it's arguably 2250MHz. While I may overclock for
testing purposes, I've never run the Tbred over 2200MHz for sustained
operation. I leave my system on 24.7, rain sleet, hail, and even
through a tornado. As of late, I'm actually running it uber 2 gig. i
don't need the speed and it conserves energy, both in use and having
to use more AC to cool it. I've also probably underclocked many more
systems than I've overclocked. Building VM system that run 24/7 in
really bad environments will make one tend to do that if they don't
want system failures.