Uninstall Internal PCI V90 Modem from WinXP _Completely_

Old May 30th 04, 11:48 PM
Jay Chan

Default Uninstall Internal PCI V90 Modem from WinXP _Completely_

I cannot uninstall an internal PCI V90 modem from a Dell Dimension
4300 running WinXP Home Edition. Please help me to get rid of it
completely.

I was using a PCI modem that came with Dell 4300 for a couple years
without any problem. But I run out of PCI slot; therefore, I replaced
it with an external USB modem. After I have uninstalled it, I find
that it still has an entry in WinXP Add/Remove-Program listing, and I
cannot get rid of it.

I really want to get rid of it because I have a problem with my USB
modem and the COM1 that Beyond-TV (a PCR program) uses (seems like a
COM port conflict). Therefore, I need to remove any possible cause of
that problem, and I want to start by getting rid of this PCI modem
program left in my PC.

The way I un-install the PCI modem:
- I didn't run "Uninstall" from Device Manager.
- I opened Add/Remove Program in Control Panel, and selected the
Remove button (or the Change/Remove button??).
- I didn't recall whether I shut-down the PC and then removed the
modem, or I restarted the PC and then shut it down to remove the
modem. Anyway, I physical removed the modem from my PC.
- I didn't go back to check Add/Remove Program until weeks later
after I have already installed the USB modem and Beyond-TV and started
having "port conflict" kind of problem.
- I went back to review Add/Remove Program and found that "Conexant
HCF V90 56K Data Fax PCI Modem" was in the list. I clicked at the
Change/Remove button right next to the entry, and that line of entry
blinked once, and then nothing happened.
- I restarted the PC, and saw that entry was still in
Add/Remove-Program. Clicked at the Change/Remove button again, still
nothing happened.

What should I do to completely get rid of it?

My co-worker asked me to reinstall the PCI modem and then try
uninstall it again. If I go this way, I would like to know the sure
way to uninstall it properly?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay Chan
Old June 2nd 04, 03:18 AM
Jay Chan

I cannot uninstall an internal PCI V90 modem from a Dell Dimension
4300 running WinXP Home Edition. Please help me to get rid of it
completely.

My co-worker asked me to reinstall the PCI modem and then try
uninstall it again. If I go this way, I would like to know the sure
way to uninstall it properly?

I followed my co-worker's advice to re-install the device driver for
the PCI modem and then uninstall it. Now, it is no longer listed in
"Add/Remove Programs" in Control Panel.

Just want to let people know in case someone else is having the same
problem.

Jay Chan

modem problem minerva nine General 9 May 27th 04 08:11 AM
req help: rockwell pci modem tonj General 4 February 20th 04 09:33 PM
Modem - dial tone broken up, but voice ok Zardoz General 1 January 5th 04 02:06 AM
Dial up modem problem Richard Freeman General 21 September 22nd 03 05:50 AM
Internal -vs- External modem @drian General 25 September 9th 03 03:38 PM