optical mouse

Old July 24th 04, 03:59 AM
xiaoke

Default optical mouse

I have 2 computers running win XP home. Both units have a Logitech optical
wheel mouse installed. On one pc the mouse light goes off when the pc is
turned off and on the other pc it stays on . I tried a different mouse and
the light still stays on. Both units have the logitech software installed
and ACPI enabled. Any ideas ?

Old July 24th 04, 04:25 AM
Jerry G.

I would guess that both the mother boards, and or the USB boards (if using a
slot USB board) must be different. When you have an ATX power supply, there
is always some voltages on the mother board. This is to maintain the CPU to
respond to the wakeup or the turn on command. The port that the mouse is on,
is having some voltage outputting on it when the computer is off. I have
seen this with USB, and serial ports on some machines.

--

Jerry G.
==========================

Old July 24th 04, 05:36 AM
xiaoke

Thanks for your reply. Both mice are on PS2 port.
Is there any fix for this?

Old July 24th 04, 06:14 AM
kony

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 02:59:22 GMT, "xiaoke"
wrote:

I have 2 computers running win XP home. Both units have a Logitech optical
wheel mouse installed. On one pc the mouse light goes off when the pc is
turned off and on the other pc it stays on . I tried a different mouse and
the light still stays on. Both units have the logitech software installed
and ACPI enabled. Any ideas ?

There should be a jumper on your motherboard that controls this
feature, look in the manual for a 5V/5VSB jumper or wake on USB
or wake on keyboard/mouse. Typically the jumper is within a
couple cm of the port or pin-header effected. Set to 5V to turn
off device, 5VSB to keep it on. If your only concern is that one
stays on, it's not a problem, no need to change it unless you
want to enable or disable the power-on feature for whole system
turn on.
Old July 24th 04, 06:47 AM
xiaoke

wrote:

I have 2 computers running win XP home. Both units have a Logitech

optical
wheel mouse installed. On one pc the mouse light goes off when the pc is
turned off and on the other pc it stays on . I tried a different mouse

and
the light still stays on. Both units have the logitech software installed
and ACPI enabled. Any ideas ?

There should be a jumper on your motherboard that controls this
feature, look in the manual for a 5V/5VSB jumper or wake on USB
or wake on keyboard/mouse. Typically the jumper is within a
couple cm of the port or pin-header effected. Set to 5V to turn
off device, 5VSB to keep it on. If your only concern is that one
stays on, it's not a problem, no need to change it unless you
want to enable or disable the power-on feature for whole system
turn on.

Thank you ! I dont think I want to mess around with the whole system
settings. Maybe some wrap around tape on the mouse will do the trick I
think wake on keyboard/mouse is disabled in the bios.
Once again thanks for your input !

Old July 24th 04, 07:19 AM
kony

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 05:47:57 GMT, "xiaoke"
wrote:

Thank you ! I dont think I want to mess around with the whole system
settings. Maybe some wrap around tape on the mouse will do the trick I
think wake on keyboard/mouse is disabled in the bios.
Once again thanks for your input !

If you don't need that feature you might as well change the
jumper, as it is causing all USB devices to run from a much
weaker part of the power supply, and this part is not being
cooled when system is off. It may not be a problem but is a
waste of power and would seem a better alternative than tape.

Although, if you really want to just block the light from coming
out of the mouse a better approach might be disassembling mouse
and spray-painting the inside... just be sure to remove the
optical lens assembly too if it's attached to the bottom. Some
mice also have a 2nd LED with the sole purpose of lighting up the
mouse (at least one microsoft model comes to mind). If you
desoldered that LED (or just snipped it off with scissors) that
would also reduce light from mouse, though not completely
eliminate it.
Old July 24th 04, 08:14 AM
Martin

"xiaoke" wrote in message
I have 2 computers running win XP home. Both units have a Logitech optical
wheel mouse installed. On one pc the mouse light goes off when the pc is
turned off and on the other pc it stays on . I tried a different mouse and
the light still stays on. Both units have the logitech software installed
and ACPI enabled. Any ideas ?

Try this.

Goto Device Manager Mice & other pointing devices.
Select the mouse and right-click for Properties.
Look on the Power Management tab.
Is there a check-box labelled 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to
save power'?

This option exists on my pc but may be dependent on the mouse driver
installed.

Martin.

Old July 25th 04, 07:28 PM
xiaoke

news
wrote:

[...]

Sorry I could not find a jumper on the mother board.
The bios doesnt have any options either. The only jumpers on the board are
for surround sound and cmos battery. Thanks for your help. I guess I'll have
to put up with it.