Which component to RMA?

Old January 28th 05, 03:24 PM
Akron Mike

Default Which component to RMA?

I have just built my new system and all seems to be working fine except
one thing. On POST, the system reports my processor as an Athlon XP
1500 when in actuality it is an XP 2700. The odd part is that the
first time I booted the PC it reported correctly. I have left the
automatic settings for multiplier and bus speed and that is how I get
the XP 1500 reported. I have also gone in and changed the multiplier
to 13X and the bus speed to 133 manually and then the system doesn't
even POST. Did I get those settings right? Anyway, I am planning on
RMA'ing the CPU...does that seem like the right thing to do? Or could
it be the MB?

Thanks,
Mike

Old January 28th 05, 04:04 PM
Matt

Akron Mike wrote:
I have just built my new system and all seems to be working fine except
one thing. On POST, the system reports my processor as an Athlon XP
1500 when in actuality it is an XP 2700. The odd part is that the
first time I booted the PC it reported correctly. I have left the
automatic settings for multiplier and bus speed and that is how I get
the XP 1500 reported. I have also gone in and changed the multiplier
to 13X and the bus speed to 133 manually and then the system doesn't
even POST. Did I get those settings right? Anyway, I am planning on
RMA'ing the CPU...does that seem like the right thing to do? Or could
it be the MB?

Thanks,
Mike

Check your mobo manual as to whether there is an onboard jumper for FSB
speed.
Old January 28th 05, 04:12 PM
Apollo

"Akron Mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Neither, reset the bios with all power disconnected. If you still
have problems, it should be set to;
13.0 multiplier x 166MHz system bus = 2.17GHz

It's a simple configuration error.

--
Ian

Old January 28th 05, 04:27 PM
Akron Mike

I will try this but I think this is the configuration I tried and it
refuses to even POST. I have reset the bios several times and each
time I get the same problem. Not sure if this helps but there was a
period of time where the memory was running at 100MHz even though it is
DDR 3200 and should be running at 200MHz. It does run correctly after
resetting BIOS but CPU is still not.

Assuming I can't get the system to POST with it set at 13 x 166 which
component is likely the culprit?

Old January 29th 05, 12:59 AM
Akron Mike

Sorry, thought I put it here but must have been in another post. I
have an MSI K7n2-Delta2-LSR. BIOS is updated to the latest version.

Old January 29th 05, 01:06 AM
John Doe

Your brain.
(just kidding)

Old January 29th 05, 04:08 AM
Akron Mike

OK, not sure if this actually did anything but after I pulled up
slightly on the heatsink/fan and then rebooted, it POSTed at 2700+. I
can't explain it other than to say that possibly a portion of the board
underneath the socket was not grounded properly? That's a wild ass
guess but I can't come up with much else.

My newest question is: what is the relationship between the FSB speed
and the memory bus speed? When my CPU was showing as an XP 1500,
memory was running at 200MHz (like it should since it is PC3200) but
now that the CPU is showing as XP 2700, the memory speed is only
166Mhz. I made some changes in the BIOS but not to the memory bus
speed as far as I am aware. I think this is the last piece of the
puzzle and once I get it straightened out I will have my box humming
like it should! Thanks!!

Old January 29th 05, 08:06 AM
johns

even POST. Did I get those settings right? Anyway, I am planning on
RMA'ing the CPU...does that seem like the right thing to do? Or could
it be the MB?

I've never had a new cpu fail. And not many old ones either. It has
always been the mobo. I vote for jumper settings too. That jumper
is generally right up front just South of the first PCI slot.

johns