Do I need analog/digital cables to connect my CD-ROM to a Sound Blaster?

Old October 16th 03, 03:28 PM
Flor

Default Do I need analog/digital cables to connect my CD-ROM to a Sound Blaster?

Hi,

I'm ordering parts for my first homebuilt and was wondering if I'll
need to get the cables that connect the sound output (analog and/or
digital) from my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM to the SB Audigy 2 card. I have
the OEM Audigy 2 so it didn't come with any cables.

According to MaximumPC's "Build the Perfect PC" magazine, the CD_IN
and CD_SPDIF connectors on the sound card are obsolete as the digital
sound is now channeled through the IDE connection. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!
Old October 16th 03, 03:37 PM
Muttley

AFAIK, this is correct for Windows XP, and possibly Win2k and WinMe. Not
sure about the earlier 9x incarnations of Windows.

John S.

om...

Old October 16th 03, 03:46 PM
Muttley

Oh yeah, I forgot - the cables are not totally obsolete, as you can still
configure Windows to play CD audio via the Analog cable if you wish.
The XP default is to play CD audio using digital extraction via the IDE
cable.
I personally prefer the old analog method for audio CDs, as the CD drive
then only turns the CD at the standard audio speed of 1X. Nice and quiet.
I dislike the amount of mechanical noise and vibration created by the CD
drive when playing an Audio CD using the Digital method, as the CD is
rotated at speeds of up to 52X while playing.
You can connect them up, but in the default Windows XP configuration they
will be unused.

John S.

Old October 16th 03, 10:52 PM
Gary Tait

Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:37:47 +1000, "Muttley"
scribbled:
, I thus relpy:
AFAIK, this is correct for Windows XP, and possibly Win2k and WinMe. Not
sure about the earlier 9x incarnations of Windows.

John S.

You can get drivers/plugins for that.

. com...

--
Gary J. Tait . Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
Old October 16th 03, 11:46 PM
Flor

Thanks for the input, especially the insight about the CD spinning
faster and louder if using digital over IDE. I'll stick with either
the analog or digital output on the CD-ROM.

Old October 18th 03, 12:19 AM
tomcas

Flor wrote:

Hi,

I'm ordering parts for my first homebuilt and was wondering if I'll
need to get the cables that connect the sound output (analog and/or
digital) from my CD-ROM and DVD-ROM to the SB Audigy 2 card. I have
the OEM Audigy 2 so it didn't come with any cables.

According to MaximumPC's "Build the Perfect PC" magazine, the CD_IN
and CD_SPDIF connectors on the sound card are obsolete as the digital
sound is now channeled through the IDE connection. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help!

Yes with one exception. You will need to use the cables if you want to
leave the capability of connecting your headphones to the CD-ROM drive
panel jack.

--
**remove NospaM from email address to reply**