Long hard drive access times...

Old August 2nd 05, 12:49 AM
Shep©

On 1 Aug 2005 16:28:57 -0700 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep and
then "Random Person" wrote :

I did a full scan with Maxtor's Powermax utility, and came up with no
errors. What should I do now? Just accept the warnings/errors in the
logs as "one offs"?

I'd suspect the software you are using.Do you have any,"MS office"
software installed?

what O/S?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
Old August 2nd 05, 05:01 AM
Random Person

I used Windows XP when the problems occurred. The drive is actually
partitioned 50-50 with the other half being SuSE 9.2

The problems happened with MS Office, but also from the command prompt
while I was doing a simple "dir".

Thanks.

Old August 2nd 05, 07:34 AM
DevilsPGD

In message . com
"Random Person" wrote:

OMG, I don't believe it. I entered my drive's serial number at Maxtor's
website and I found out my warranty expired midnight yesterday!

I'm still running the diagnostic tool I downloaded from Maxtor (no
errors with the quick scan).

Do you think I can convince Maxtor to RMA the drive (Assuming there is
something wrong with it) on the basis that the errors started appearing
in July?

If you have a receipt showing the date of purchase was later then their
website indicates then you should be good anyway.

Their expiry date is based on when the drive shipped and when it
"probably" sold, and helps you if you don't have a receipt.

--
'Outlook not so good.'
That magic 8-ball knows everything!
Old August 2nd 05, 11:49 PM
Shep©

On 1 Aug 2005 21:01:02 -0700 As Androids Dreamed Of Electric Sheep and
then "Random Person" wrote :

I used Windows XP when the problems occurred. The drive is actually
partitioned 50-50 with the other half being SuSE 9.2

The problems happened with MS Office, but also from the command prompt
while I was doing a simple "dir".

Thanks.

This old but relevant and also disable your indexing on the hard
drives,
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=winxp+tips&meta=

This it taken from a post by a valued usenet contributor Aftech.

FindFast is a prog that indexes MS Office documents (reads them for
keywords, author and other parameters) with the general idea of making
Office docs easier to find and open. Unfortunately, FindFast is a
resource
hog that, while making Office apps slightly more efficient, destroys
the
efficiency of the rest of the system.

BTW, Microsoft Knowledge Base article #Q158705, says just taking
FindFast
out of the startup group is not sufficient. Since it was there indices
were
created and Office apps will continue to use them even though they
rapidly
become outdated. Below is the proper procedure as described by MS:

The correct way to disable Find Fast requires that you delete the Find
Fast
index files. To do this, use the following steps:

On the Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
In the Control Panel window, double-click Find Fast.
In the "Index for documents in and below" list, click the first item.
On the Index menu, click Delete Index. In the Delete Index dialog
box,click
OK.

When you are prompted whether to delete the index, Click OK.
Repeat steps 3 and 4 until no more indices are listed.
On the Index menu, click Close And Stop. Then, click OK to stop Find
Fast.

Then, do either of the following:

Remove the Microsoft Find Fast shortcut from the StartUp folder
(typically in the Windows folder in the Start Menu\Programs
folder).

-or-
- Run the Microsoft Office 97 Setup program in maintenance mode, and
remove Find Fast.

--
Free Windows/PC help,