Long hard drive access times...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 1st 05, 05:48 PM
Random Person

Default Long hard drive access times...

Hi. Twice today one of my older drives, a Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM
Diamondmax Plus 9 hard drive took about 15 seconds to read/write data.
This is the first time it has taken so long to access data.

The first time was when I was saving a spreadsheet to it. Excel stopped
responding for about 15 seconds, then everything went back to normal.

The second time happened at the Command Prompt, I was doing a "dir" and
it also froze for a while.

Should I start making a recent backup of my data right now?

I've downloaded the Powermax bootable ISO and will run a diagnostic
tonight...

Incidentally this is a replacement drive for a previous 80GB Maxtor,
which died due to SMART failure and the 'click of death'...

If it got replaced about 2 years ago will my warranty still be valid?