External HDD Enclosures

Old August 21st 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors
[email protected]

Default External HDD Enclosures

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 22:28:48 +0100, Dr Teeth
wrote:

I was just thinking how wonderful life was, when Odie Ferrous
opened his gob and said:

Phone Rob at Span and ask him for an enclosure with active cooling
(fan).

I'm afraid the one I got from them had a cheap and nasty fan on it
that made such a racket I could not bear it.

Got a fanless enclosure from elsewhere. As the disk in question is not
(often) on for hours on end and the data is not *that* critical, I
feel okay about any risks I may be taking.

Exactly. A disk crammed into tight contact with the walls of an
aluminium box hardly needs cooling.

After all, how many people cool their disks within a PC? And there you
may have three or more disks stacked in close contact relying on
convention to cool them. They usually survive just fine.

However, if the temperature outdoors gets very hot, think about
turning the enclosure off.

MK

SATA capable external USB 2.0 enclosures? BKT Storage (alternative) 10 May 21st 06 06:58 PM
On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
Are external HDD enclosures as good as external HDDs? Art Vandelay Storage (alternative) 6 September 10th 04 10:27 PM
Updrade PC Guy Smith General 22 August 15th 04 01:57 AM
question on external drives/drive enclosures Clamshell Storage (alternative) 2 February 1st 04 09:10 PM