Compaq Presario 5184 Please Help

Old October 20th 03, 11:50 PM
Who's Who

Default Compaq Presario 5184 Please Help

Hello All,
I have a Compaq Presario 5184 AMD K62 380 with 128 megs ram
I would like to do a clean/fresh install of Windows XP Professional.
The problem is this system is not bootable via CDrom or floppy but will
only boot with the restore disk. I have checked the BIOS as well.
Anyone know where I can find info to over come this?
How can I do it?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
HP's website on this kind of info sucks.

Thanks

Frank
Old October 21st 03, 02:26 AM
HH

With that slow of a processor, a 6 GB hard drive, and a max of 384MB of RAM,
I wouldn't recommend trying XP. And certainly not with 128MB of RAM.
HH

.. .

Old October 27th 03, 01:48 AM
Mike McWhinney

"Who's Who" wrote in message ...
Hello All,
I have a Compaq Presario 5184 AMD K62 380 with 128 megs ram
I would like to do a clean/fresh install of Windows XP Professional.
The problem is this system is not bootable via CDrom or floppy but will
only boot with the restore disk. I have checked the BIOS as well.
Anyone know where I can find info to over come this?
How can I do it?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
HP's website on this kind of info sucks.

Get a boot disk that has either Windows 98 or ME on it. Load the
CD-ROM drivers. Then on the Windows XP Professional CDROM, you need to
go to either the \WINNT or \WINNT\I386 and run WINNT. It may also
help to have SMARTDRV loaded as your installation will go faster.

As the other poster mentioned, it may not run that well on your
configuration, but it *will* run. 128MB is a bit low for memory, and
the processor speed is a bit on the slow side too. We have run WinXP
on a Pentium 133 processor with 128MB memory with no problems.

Mike McWhinney
Old December 20th 03, 06:04 PM

We have run WinXP
on a Pentium 133 processor with 128MB memory with no problems.

Yeah...amazingly enough, I've done it too. and as long as you *don't run
anything else* the OS will run fine. But try to do a Windows update and it
just might choke. Mine did.
Mike

"Mike McWhinney" wrote in message
om...
"Who's Who" wrote in message

[...]

Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 3rd 03 04:09 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 August 7th 03 11:24 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 7th 03 04:22 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 August 1st 03 09:24 PM