Best TwinMOS memory for 400MHz+ FSB

Old July 17th 03, 03:47 AM
Wayne Youngman

SyntaX TerroR wrote:
I've just bought some new parts to upgrade my pc last weekend: a
Barton 2500+, the Abit NF7-S and 2 sticks of Twinmos 256 MB PC3200
(they came
in 1 package and are tested together like the Corsair Twinx).

I've flashed my motherboard to the latest bios and overclocked the cpu
to 10x200 so that it runs in synch with the memory. After that I
tried
to use some faster memory timings than the standard 8-3-3 and CAS 2.5,
but without success. As I'm new to the world of overclocking, I'm not
sure if there's something that I might have overlooked or if the
sticks can't be pushed any further. I didn't change the memory
voltage though.

Maybe this answers part of your question?

Hi SyntaX,
yes that is good info. So you opted for the CAS 2.5 TwinMOS. I think you
need to *relax* the memory timings if you want to go higher than 3200 specs.
I'm kinda thinking that Cas2 (over 2.5) would give better results. What is
the XP rating of your Barton when overclocked?

Old July 17th 03, 03:47 AM
Wayne Youngman

BoroLad wrote:
TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 256MB w/Winbond
- 32M*8/16chip, 184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)
£44.17

Yep! that's the one [make sure it's CH5 and not CH6]
2.5 [stated] - decent makers always understate - ****e is usually
overstated

Hi,
CH5 and not CH6? what the heck is that, also where does it *state* the
TwinMOS/with Winbond s Cas2.5?

Old July 17th 03, 03:17 PM
Wayne Youngman

BoroLad wrote:
It's just the chipset CH5 is supposed to be a better performer than
CH6 because the SPD timings were more aggressive.

also where does it *state* the
TwinMOS/with Winbond s Cas2.5?

-Play safe buy from he

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...inMOS_147.html

-The Twinmos site for the DUAL sticks:

http://www.twinmos.com/dram_p_dt_dualchannel_ddr400.htm

-One of the better reviews he

Hi,
thanks for the reply and useful links. That twin pack looks cool and a good
price also. I'm left wondering about the PC3700 now. ..

Wayne ][

Old July 18th 03, 05:05 PM
BoroLad

In article ,
says...
BoroLad wrote:
It's just the chipset CH5 is supposed to be a better performer than
CH6 because the SPD timings were more aggressive.

also where does it *state* the
TwinMOS/with Winbond s Cas2.5?

-Play safe buy from he

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...inMOS_147.html

-The Twinmos site for the DUAL sticks:

http://www.twinmos.com/dram_p_dt_dualchannel_ddr400.htm

-One of the better reviews he

Hi,
thanks for the reply and useful links. That twin pack looks cool and a good
price also. I'm left wondering about the PC3700 now. ..

Wayne ][

There is almost always a benefit [overhead] in getting the higher
batch[s] if you can pay the xtra money!

BoroLad
Old July 19th 03, 03:57 AM
Wayne Youngman

Jesse wrote:
Check this out: http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/TwinMOS/PC3700-3200/

It's exactly what your looking for!

Hi,
thanks for that link, just what I wanted to read. So then I figure that the
TwinMOS PC3200 (Winbond CH-5) is the DDR I will opt for. I didn't realise
that this PC3200 had so much *headroom*. . .cool. Now just need to find a
U.K supplier that lists CH-5 winbond twinMOS.

Thanks again all,

Wayne ][

Old July 19th 03, 09:15 AM
BoroLad

In article ,
says...
Jesse wrote:
Check this out:
http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/TwinMOS/PC3700-3200/

It's exactly what your looking for!

Hi,
thanks for that link, just what I wanted to read. So then I figure that the
TwinMOS PC3200 (Winbond CH-5) is the DDR I will opt for. I didn't realise
that this PC3200 had so much *headroom*. . .cool. Now just need to find a
U.K supplier that lists CH-5 winbond twinMOS.

Thanks again all,

Wayne ][

he http://www.overclockers.co.uk/news.htm

"" 10:50am [1st July] - Our Winbond major on 3rd memory just arrived and
the DDR400 modules are using Winbond's CH-5 chips which are highly
sought after by overclockers due to their ability to hit high front side
bus speeds whilst still using aggressive memory timings. Check out this
review by vr-zone who were able to achieve 244FSB with timings of 2-3-2-
5 with Winbond CH-5 based memory. In stock and ready to ship.""

Contact Information

E-mail: - For pre-sales enquiries such as
"will it fit?" and "is it compatible?

BoroLad
Old July 19th 03, 12:56 PM
Wayne Youngman

"BoroLad" wrote in message
he http://www.overclockers.co.uk/news.htm

"" 10:50am [1st July] - Our Winbond major on 3rd memory just arrived and
the DDR400 modules are using Winbond's CH-5 chips which are highly
sought after by overclockers due to their ability to hit high front side
bus speeds whilst still using aggressive memory timings. Check out this
review by vr-zone who were able to achieve 244FSB with timings of 2-3-2-
5 with Winbond CH-5 based memory. In stock and ready to ship.""

Hi,

Doh! I checked OC.uk and had seen that a few days ago, but when I went back
to look again I was checking the TwinMOS page and couldn't see it (forgot
about new Winbond page). I thought OC.uk had *refreshed* their TwinMOS page
and removed the CH-5, CH-6 tags :P

Thanks again for the heads-up I thought I was going a bit loopy,

Wayne ][