Need parts for backard bell

Old December 23rd 03, 02:16 AM
Jeptha

Default Need parts for backard bell

Hi I have a psckard bell pb 130 computer that I want to upgrade with
the following parts:
-tv tuner
-radio
-bios upgrade (it will not allow anymore ram than 16 meg)
-media select
-80 meg of ram

Now i need to know what online stores that ship to canada would supply
me with those parts at a good price.
This computer is for my son who loves packard bell's and wants one

Can someone help me?

John ball
Old December 23rd 03, 04:48 AM
Ben Myers

John,

Packard Bell was notorious for throwing around lots of different model names,
sometimes changing what was under the hood. The the "pb 130" model means little
or nothing to me, tho it may help someone else figure out what your system is.

Let's try this another way:
1. Is the system a 486 or a Pentium? Or maybe even a Socket 7 system with a
Cyrix (UGH!) CPU?
2. Can you boot it up and tell us the BIOS identification of the motherboard?
The BIOS is one of three brands: AMI, Phoenix, or Award. The BIOS identifier is
displayed either on one of the lines of text immediately following the copyright
statement, or way down at the bottom of the screen when you first power it on.

If you can identify the motherboard for us, somebody can tell you what type of
memory is needed. Not all memory is equal.

I know little or nothing about TV tuners, radios or media select when these
terms are used with computers. Can you be a little more specific?

A BIOS upgrade will not allow the system to have more memory. The motherboard
and its chipset control the amount of memory in the system. A standard
off-the-shelf PB BIOS upgrade, if it can be found, will do little or nothing to
improve the characteristics of the system. BIOS upgrades normally correct
serious errors in the BIOS.

Now a bit of advice: If the system is a 486, don't upgrade it. A 486 is not
worth upgrading, especially with Pentium-class computers finding their way into
garbage cans, dumpsters and landfills. SOME Pentium-class systems may be worth
upgrading, but some are so limited that they are not worth it... Ben Myers

Old December 23rd 03, 05:12 AM
Louie

You might also look at the back label. For example my PB 1120 has "Model:
PB420A" which, according to http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmbid.htm
ID's this as a 486 MB #420 at http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/pbmb1.htm

Hope I didn't step on any toes here, just trying to help. g
--
Be seeing you,

Louie
Gainesville, FL, USA

eat the flies to email

(Jeptha) wrote:

Hi I have a psckard bell pb 130 computer that I want to upgrade with
the following parts:
-tv tuner
-radio
-bios upgrade (it will not allow anymore ram than 16 meg)
-media select
-80 meg of ram

Now i need to know what online stores that ship to canada would supply
me with those parts at a good price.
This computer is for my son who loves packard bell's and wants one

Can someone help me?

John ball

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old December 23rd 03, 02:13 PM
metronid

I know of only one PB 486 system that
allows only 16MB to be added
That is the 401 board
Actually it allows more depending on how
much was originally soldered to the board
I also beleive it is not a flashable bios
I also feel it if the above is true,-
Then it is not a wise investment to upgrade such a unit

I happen to have a spare 450MB with 36MB
of Ram and a 83MHZ ODP for purchase
Should pop right in your system
but,-
more info is needed

Old December 23rd 03, 02:17 PM
First Last

longish discussions deleted

Underscoring the points previously made: Today's new (but no-name) market
has Athlon 2400+ and P4 2800 in the sub $300 range. A little bargaining with
Joe at the local computer shop could get you a pared down system for close
to $200. This makes almost anything less than a P3 financially obsolete.
Tinkering is fun, but in today's market, I doubt that spending $100 on a
486/P1/P2 makes financial sense.

Old December 23rd 03, 03:54 PM
First Last

Jeptha: Chuckle. Just noticed the typo on the name. But instead of 'backard
bell', perhaps we should call these things a Backward Bell?

Old December 23rd 03, 08:48 PM
Ben Myers

John,

The PB A950-TWR motherboard uses 168pin Low-Density DIMM memory. More details:
8mbx64-06, 64mb EDO DRAM, 168pin, gold, 60ns, 66Mhz 32 chip, made with 4mbx4
chips, 4K refresh, 3.3 volts. This is not the easiest stuff to find. You
cannot use garden-variety PC66 SDRAMs.

See the following URL:

http://www.memoryx.net/pabesya9twrm.html

If the existing computer has one DIMM socket occupied with memory, then you can
add one 64MB module, or replace the existing module with 64MB. So the max would
be 128MB... Ben Myers

On 23 Dec 2003 11:48:52 -0800, (Jeptha) wrote:

(Jeptha) wrote in message . com...

Hi i wrote a message about a packard bell that needed parts. I forgot
to give out some other information about the computer.

it has a moldel # A950-TWR and on the front it says
PB 130.
it has a p1 processor at 133mhz.
it has the s/n:Y130517868

I hope this helps any.