200arc xp pro install problem

Old March 17th 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default 200arc xp pro install problem

I'm doing a hard drive replacement on a 200ARC laptop. I don't have
the original restore/recovery CD. I tried installing windows XP pro
using the key on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. I get an
invalid key message.

I understand that Gateway uses OEM versions of windows. I am using an
original full version of XP Pro.

Is it possible that the version makes the key not compatible?
If so does anyone know where I can pick up a recovery CD? Gateway
doesn't provide them. They told me to do a Full (Destructive) System
Restore but I didn't have any luck with that either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old March 17th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 01:54:13 +0000, lick wrote:

I'm doing a hard drive replacement on a 200ARC laptop. I don't have
the original restore/recovery CD. I tried installing windows XP pro
using the key on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. I get an
invalid key message.

I understand that Gateway uses OEM versions of windows. I am using an
original full version of XP Pro.

Is it possible that the version makes the key not compatible?
If so does anyone know where I can pick up a recovery CD? Gateway
doesn't provide them. They told me to do a Full (Destructive) System
Restore but I didn't have any luck with that either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Do you have access to the Key that came with the XP Pro that you did try
to install? It will be different from the XP on the restore/recovery CD.

Old March 17th 06, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

lick expressed precisely :
I'm doing a hard drive replacement on a 200ARC laptop. I don't have
the original restore/recovery CD. I tried installing windows XP pro
using the key on the sticker on the bottom of the laptop. I get an
invalid key message.

I understand that Gateway uses OEM versions of windows. I am using an
original full version of XP Pro.

Is it possible that the version makes the key not compatible?
If so does anyone know where I can pick up a recovery CD? Gateway
doesn't provide them. They told me to do a Full (Destructive) System
Restore but I didn't have any luck with that either.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

There is a point system on installing windows XP to a computer, many
times the changing of a hard drive will require you contact MS by
telephone for a new install key.

When you install without the recovery disk using a different CD, it
comes up with a invalid key message, then choose the install by
telephone option, then use the change serial number option: type in the
number from your sticker, and it will provide you with the telephone
number to call.

Tell them you have changed the hard drive, and they have you read the
numeric number produced, and if valid they will provide you with a
numeric key to re-install...

However sometimes the bios is tagged, and you will still get the
invalid key message and no telephone number.

JR the postman

Old March 18th 06, 04:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

The sticker says XP PRO but the key doesn't work.

I installed my copy of XP pro with my key and that works...but he is
not keep that one. I just wanted to see if that option worked, which
it did.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:58:47 -0500, Ben Myers ben_myers_spam_me_not @
charter.net wrote:

Just to eliminate a silly possibility, the system originally came with XP Pro
and the sticker on the side for XP Pro? I ask simply because the product IDs
(keys) for XP Home and XP Pro are not interchangable... Ben Myers

Old March 18th 06, 04:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

I installed my copy of xp pro with my key and that worked (that is not
staying on the puter)..

Using my copy of xp pro and the key that is on the sticker at the
bottom of his laptop does not work.

Old March 18th 06, 04:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

I was hoping I didn't have to go this route. It's my understanding
they can be a pain in the ass when trying to obtain a new Key
considering I'm just the repair guy and not the acutal owner.

lick expressed precisely :

Old March 18th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

As far as I know (barring random duplications) each and every copy of WinXP
(& all other Microsoft software) has a unique key and unless you are very
lucky you will never activate any of their programs with another program's
key. (The idea of using key codes for security of revenues could not
possibly work if the codes were universal. And you know MS!)

Old March 18th 06, 07:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

lick answered :
I was hoping I didn't have to go this route. It's my understanding
they can be a pain in the ass when trying to obtain a new Key
considering I'm just the repair guy and not the acutal owner.

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:14:09 -0800, Postman delivers
wrote:

lick,

Last time I called it was a computer I talked to not a real person. I
did not explain just provided the 25 numbers, and got 25 numbers... It
activated without any hesitation.

Step up to the counter, and make a phone call...

JR the postman

Old March 18th 06, 07:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

lol...okay

Looks like that is the way I'll have to go.

thanks

lick answered :

Old March 18th 06, 08:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Tom Clydesdale explained correctly :

As far as I know (barring random duplications) each and every copy of WinXP
(& all other Microsoft software) has a unique key and unless you are very
lucky you will never activate any of their programs with another program's
key. (The idea of using key codes for security of revenues could not
possibly work if the codes were universal. And you know MS!)

Tom,

It is wrong to use the CD from my computer to reinstall windows on your
computer with your serial number. It does not matter if you damaged,
lost or toss your recovery disk out the window, using someone’s windows
XP disk is a violation of the rules. But using the phone option, and
changing the key code, then typing in your machines XP key it generally
works.

However, because many companies cannot, or will not provide replacement
recovery disks, what are the computer owners going to do? They are
going to borrow, beg or use another windows disk to re-install the
operating system with their XP tag# affixed to their computer case..

Try to find a recovery disk for a win98, early Compaq, e-machine, or
Acer. Or try to purchase an unregistered retail copy of win98, 98se
today. Travel father down the road of time: XP will have a similar
fate after vista has had a major update or security features revision.
I still run win2k on several computers and have not see a retail
version on a shelf for over a year.

My guess, 4 or 5 years from now, any Windows XP CD will be used to
re-install xp on older computers, and I presume MS has provisions for
this problem of lost, misplaced and non availability of XP recovery
CD’s looming on the horizon.

JR the postman

Install fails problem T.O. Asus Motherboards 0 February 5th 06 05:41 PM
Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update) Class_Action General 127 January 20th 06 09:30 PM
Dell's Sorry History of Microphone/Soundcard Issue (Update) Class_Action Dell Computers 121 December 12th 05 12:47 PM
Please Help Mary Ati Videocards 36 February 29th 04 07:28 PM
Please help problem to install xp ! henny Gigabyte Motherboards 2 December 25th 03 12:05 PM