Recommendations for Network Cabling Contractor

Old January 20th 04, 10:24 PM
Lordy

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:54:47 +0000, Rob wrote:

I've had only one practical experience of wi-fi in an office. It was
terrible - I was tearing what little hair I have left out over the
constant dropping of the network.

Interesting. I was X'ing into my main Linux box from an XP Laptop using
wireless. The machines were about six feet apart. The X-Server I was using
(Cygwin/XFree) was not very forgiving of dropouts, and when your X-server
folds all of the applications running within it are immediately killed.

Lordy

Old January 20th 04, 11:09 PM
Mike Redrobe

nev wrote:

the doubling up is for when you upgrade the phone system and rack the
pbx, router or whatever will be used for it then so can then run your
phones through the cabling too

That causes hours of fun with people plugging phones into network sockets
and vice versa.

--
Mike Redrobe

Old January 20th 04, 11:53 PM
Nick Le Lievre

"nev" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
nev wrote:

the doubling up is for when you upgrade the phone system and rack the
pbx, router or whatever will be used for it then so can then run your
phones through the cabling too

That causes hours of fun with people plugging phones into network

sockets
and vice versa.

--
Mike Redrobe

havent had a problem with it at all .... i use the rj45 bt convertors
for the phones at the desktop and colour coded cables in the rack -
label the desktop points as 'tel' or 'net' and most users can work it
out ...

and only the sockets you enable work and the rack is locked to stop
those who think they know what theyre doing from having fun!

other thing i forgot to mention is many electricians install network
cabling and have always done a quick clean job for me as they're used to
running cable all day long

I worked as a contractor for 3 months in IT for bank and even I managed to
get head round the whole cable patch panel switch thing once I got the
hang of using tools to trace unmarked ports scattered around the place back
to specific points on the patch panel it was less stressfull. It was quite a
lot of hard work tho and one time I ran into the cable length exceeding the
max limit that caused some confusion I can tell ya.

Tried my hand at running cables once too and that was too much like hard
work - but I know getting new points installed is an expensive business the
adoption of wifi should make lives easier.

Old January 21st 04, 05:09 AM
Dave Stanton

Tried my hand at running cables once too and that was too much like hard
work - but I know getting new points installed is an expensive business
the adoption of wifi should make lives easier.

Christ do you flog wifi kit by any chance ?

Dave

Old January 21st 04, 07:46 AM
Albert

JAM wrote:
Security is a must on Wifi.

security is an oxymoron with wi-fi

Albert

Old January 21st 04, 07:52 AM
Albert

Ben O wrote:
"Ant C" wrote in message
Perhaps you can give a bit more information about what you are
wanting to do/use
the network for.
It might be something you can quite easily do yourself if you're
confident enough to try.

Its for a small company, It will have a hub/switch & router located
near the main telephone socket (with ADSL). All other sockets located
around the office will need to connect to this hub / switch.

I am familiar with setting up and managing networks but this job
requires a patch panel and wall plates something which I have never
done before. I would be more comfortable getting someone in to do it
as I do not know the best way of wiring and do not have all the tools.

The network will be used for internet access / email / file & printer
sharing.

Thanks

Ben

you don't need a networking contractor if you are able to configure a network.
a 'network' contractor will do much the same job as a spark (electrician) but
they will bill you double. all you need are a few boxes knocking into the wall
or a few surface mount boxes and some plastic mini trunking.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/ sell everything you need :

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...dex/index.html

it's extremely simple.

Albert

Old January 21st 04, 02:41 PM
Nick Le Lievre

"Albert" wrote in message
news
Ben O wrote:
"Ant C" wrote in message
[...]

What if the spark (electrician) works for a networking contractor as my
friend who witnessed the investation of so many cockroaches did you get the
same job by the same people for 2x money.

Old January 21st 04, 03:19 PM
John Ray

Ben O wrote:

Does anyone have any recommendations for contractors to install network
cabling in the Hertfordshire (Hemel Hempstead) area?

Its a small network that requires around 8 Network Sockets.

Vermont Systems Ltd http://www.vermont.co.uk are, in my experience,
reliable. Although based in Hampshire they do, I believe, cover the Home
Counties.

--
John Ray, London UK.

Mail to mefp49 is unlikely to be read. I can be contacted at xcf70 (same
ISP).
Old January 21st 04, 03:26 PM
Bagpuss

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:45:45 -0000, "Nick Le Lievre"
wrote:

"Jay" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:54:41 -0000, "Nick Le Lievre"
wrote:

How big is the building is it 1 floor or 2 ? You might be able to do it

w/o
any drilling with 2 Wireless Access Points and 8 802.11b WLAN cards.
Probably get a good deal around £ 60 for the WAPS and £ 20 per card = £

280.

Probably cheaper then getting someone to run cables round - 11mbit/s is
pretty ok for Internet Access/file & print.

But make sure you read up on wireless security if you go down this
path.

The equipment you need to install wall plates and patch panels is...a
punchdown tool. It really is simple to do yourself, but I can
understand why you may not want to

Yeah look into it but don`t let it put you off - the standard security
provided by the cheaper wireless equipment I mentioned is sufficient to
prevent all but most determined. Its not as easy as some people would have
you believe get around it - it would take commitment and perhaps the ability
to camp around the exterior of your building or in the reception etc - they
may look a bit suspicious.

Or just live/work next door/same building e.t.c.

IMO its unlikely anyone will even know you have wireless equipment let alone
have the ability of determination to get past the security just to read some
crap on one of your employees shared folders or make use of your internet
connection. Unless you are targeted by al-queda.

Or someone just tries a scan to see if there is any WiFi kit in the
area.
Old January 21st 04, 06:23 PM
Nick Le Lievre

"Bagpuss" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 19:45:45 -0000, "Nick Le Lievre"
wrote:

.. .

£
[...]

Hide SSID in beacon will mean they won`t be able to see the WAP with a site
survey.

IMO its unlikely anyone will even know you have wireless equipment let

alone
have the ability of determination to get past the security just to read

some
crap on one of your employees shared folders or make use of your internet
connection. Unless you are targeted by al-queda.

Or someone just tries a scan to see if there is any WiFi kit in the
area.

Depends I don`t think its that easy if you have Hide SSID in beacon
enabled - certainly the software that comes supplied with my D-Link wifi
cards cannot find a WAP with this option enabled. I guess the wardriving
software is designed to bypass the simple option.