Laptop recommendations

Old August 1st 04, 04:32 AM
rile

Default Laptop recommendations

In a couple of days, my son will turn 20 years old. Also, within a
couple of weeks, he will start his sophomore year in college.
Combined events, I'd like to get him a laptop computer. With all the
expertise in this forum, I would hope to get some great ideas.
The price range I'm thinking about is between $800-$1200.....hey, I've
also gotta pay tuition for God's sakes.
Old August 1st 04, 01:56 PM
Ron Cook

Old August 1st 04, 04:19 PM
Mike Walsh

Check with the college. They will probably recommend, and even require, WinXP.

Ron Cook wrote:

rile wrote:

In a couple of days, my son will turn 20 years old. Also, within a
couple of weeks, he will start his sophomore year in college.
Combined events, I'd like to get him a laptop computer. With all the
expertise in this forum, I would hope to get some great ideas.
The price range I'm thinking about is between $800-$1200.....hey, I've
also gotta pay tuition for God's sakes.

Might I suggest an Apple iBook ?

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old August 2nd 04, 10:51 PM
Jerry Greenberg

I have had excellent results with the Toshiba, and the Compaq. Their
support is excellent. I am also a believer in extended warranties.

Because of the popularity of the MS Windows system, this would be the
best choice of machine/system to be on. This would allow for greatest
compatability to the others at his school. This is of course, that the
school's base is on the Windows system.

As for the operating system in the laptop, it would be best to go with
an XP-Pro type setup, if you can fit this in to your budget. This
requires more RAM, and resources, but it is a very stable operating
system.

Check with your son, about the options that will will need for his
machine, and what the applications will be, so that you can make sure
it is properly equiped for what he has to do. The amount you want to
spend, may be a little too much on the lean side for a good viable
laptop. You can however, have a near discent desktop for that budget
range.

Jerry G.
========