Chaining Routers

Old November 27th 11, 08:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Default Chaining Routers

I'm going to daisy chain two routers. Why are you supposed to disable DHCP
on the secondary (downstream) router? Is this mandatory?

Thanks.
Old November 27th 11, 09:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011 20:41:07 +0000 (UTC), Boris
wrote:

I'm going to daisy chain two routers. Why are you supposed to disable DHCP
on the secondary (downstream) router? Is this mandatory?

Thanks.

Knowing the function of a DHCP is to serve out internal IP addresses
to others on the network, I guess if you had 2 routers using DHCP,
each might serve out a different IP address to the same pc/laptop on
the same network or each might give the same IP address to different
pc/laptop on the same network. I'm not sure the first would cause a
problem but surely the second would.
Old November 28th 11, 02:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 11/27/2011 3:41 PM, Boris wrote:
I'm going to daisy chain two routers. Why are you supposed to disable DHCP
on the secondary (downstream) router? Is this mandatory?

Thanks.

it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
if you want to isolate the computers connected via wire or wireless to
router 1 from those connected via wire or wireless from router 2 then
you would put a network cable between a lan port on router 1 and the wan
port on router 2 and leave dhcp active on both. if you want to extend
the range of your wireless, and want all the computers to be able to
share the same set of resources (network printers, shared folders on
particular machines, etc) then you want them to be part of the same
network address group so you want just one dhcp server and you will want
to disable dhcp on router 2 and connect a network cable from a lan port
on router 1 to a lan port on router 2 (and you can decide if you want to
enable the wireless on router 2 or not, which can have the same ssid and
password as router 1 and potentially extend the rage of the wireless
coverage).
Old November 28th 11, 04:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Christopher Muto wrote in
:

[...]

Ok. I have two identical four port wireless routers. I want all
computers in the house to be on the same network so they can 'see' each
other and share wired and wireless printers. My computers/printers are
on different floors of the house, and some are wired and some are
wireless. I will place router 1 upstairs, and router 2 downstairs.

I connect the modem to the wan port of router 1 (SSID_1). I will enable
DHCP on this router 1. I connect a lan port of router 1 to a lan port of
router 2 (will this router 2 automatically call itself SSID_1 also, or
will it allow me to name it something else?). I will disable DHCP on
this router 2.

Will router 2 be on a different subnet than router 1?

If each router has a different SSID, should I setup the wireless devices
(computers and printers, and some smart phones) so that they can connect
to both? If each router has the same SSID, then I can only connect to
that unique home network SSID.

I currently have my four port wireless router on downstairs, connected to
the modem upstairs, via ethernet running through the walls, feeding four
wired devices and providing wireless connection to all the wireless
devices. This setup works very well. I'm sort of thinking that I'll
just make this router 2 and leave it where it is, and put the other
router 1 upstairs (modem location), connect it to the modem, and then
connect this new upstairs router 1 to a lan port of the downstairs router
2

Sorry for all the questions, but I haven't found them all answered by
googling.

TIA.
Old November 28th 11, 06:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 11/27/2011 11:55 PM, Boris wrote:
Christopher wrote in
:

[...]

1) connect upstairs modem to wan port on upstairs router 1

2) connect a wired computer to lan port on upstairs router 1. open
internet browser and point it to 192.168.1.1 and log in with
username/password admin/admin or admin/password (for most routers)

3) using the connected computer, configure upstairs router 1 as follows:
3a) wan settings for internet (if dsl you need ppoe and userid/password,
if cable you set it to 'automatically obtain').
3b) configure dhcp for upstairs router 1 to start at 192.168.1.100 for
50 address (192.168.1.100-150)
3c) configure wireless ssid for upstairs router 1 to 'mywireless' or
whatever with wpa2 encryption and password
3d) configure lan address of upstairs router 1 as 192.168.1.1 (nothing
to change, just confirm the address. 192.168.1.1 is the default for
most routers these days)

4) connect in wall (upstairs to downstairs) ethernet cable to lan port
on upstairs router 1

5) connect a wired computer to lan port on downstairs router 2. open
internet browser and point it to 192.168.1.1 and log in with
username/password admin/admin or admin/password (for most routers)

6) using the connected computer, configure downstairs router 2 as follows:
6a) wan settings are irrlevant in downstairs router 2 as you will not
use the wan port on downstairs router 2
6b) configure dhcp for downstairs router 2 by disabling dhcp.
6c) configure wireless ssid for downstairs router 2 to be identical as
upstairs router 1, namely ssid of 'mywireless' or whatever with wpa2
encryption and password that is same as upstairs router 1
6d) configure lan address of downstairs router 2 as 192.168.1.2 (so it
has an address that is unique from the upstairs router 1 when they are
later connected together). after you apply this setting you will not
longer be connected to the router unless you pointing your browser to
the new address 192.168.1.2 and log in again, but there is no need to do it.

7) connect in wall (upstairs to downstairs) ethernet cable to lan port
on downstairs router 2

8) restart the computer connected to downstairs router 2.

9) connect whatever wired computers to available lan ports on upstairs
or downstairs routers

10) connect whatever wireless computers to 'mywireless' network and the
device should select the strongest signel as you move that device about
the house.

you are done.

-you will (later) connect in wall (upstairs to downstairs) ethernet
cable to lan port on downstairs router 2 after you finish configuring
downstairs router 2.
-connect a computer directly to a lan port
Old November 28th 11, 12:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Nov 28, 1:10*am, Christopher Muto wrote:
On 11/27/2011 11:55 PM, Boris wrote:

Christopher *wrote in
t:

[...]

I've also done something similar when the ISP provides a combo DSL-or-
cable modem with router but no wifi... Ben Myers
Old November 28th 11, 01:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 01:10:12 -0500, Christopher Muto
wrote:

[...]

For Boris's benefit.....
Note, not all routers have wpa2 encryption but use whatever you have
in place of wpa2. Encryption isn't fool proof here but it's better
to have than not unless you want an open network.
Old November 28th 11, 06:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_6_]

Christopher Muto wrote in
:

[...]

Thanks, Christopher, for going into such detail, especially step 6d),
which I hadn't even considered. I won't be able to attack until this
weekend, but will report back when set up.

Old November 29th 11, 12:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Mark F[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I agree that you should consider encrypting the network traffic even
if you want open access.

Note that you can put the password for the network in the message
for the request for password or in the name of the network. That way
anyone can signin but all of the sessions are encrypted. This
technique works for a single access point.

I think there should be no problem with a wireless extender, since
that is what the purpose of a wireless extender is. However
the use of a wireless extender requires an intermediate point
with good connectivity to the first wireless access point.

I'm not sure if there is such a thing as a wired extender for a
wireless network, which is what the original poster wants.

With the two access point wireless network discussed here there
would have to be some communication between the two routers
to share the session encryption key. I'm not sure if there
is a such a connection, so I am not sure if encryption would work
if you want to move so the wireless access point changes.

It seems like the issue of using two wireless access points for
the same SSID would be a common case, but the Cisco telephone
presales people didn't understand the issue when I spoke to them
today (2011 November 28)
Old November 29th 11, 03:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Nov 28, 1:58*pm, Boris wrote:
Christopher Muto wrote et:

On 11/27/2011 11:55 PM, Boris wrote:
Christopher *wrote in
et:

[...]

It all comes back to me now.

The trick I have used with 2 or more routers or 2 or more DHCP servers
is a very simple one, both in concept and in practice. The router (or
ISP DHCP server, cable modem, DSL modem, etc) closest to the internet
is the only one that serves DHCP. For the 2nd router, I disable DHCP,
then connect the Ethernet cable from the first router (or DHCP server)
to a normal Ethernet port, not the WAN port. This turns the 2nd
router into a simple switch, not a router, with a wireless access
point.

If there are two or more routers with wifi, make sure they have the
same SSID and channel. As Christopher says, allows roaming from
router/access point to router/access point... Ben Myers

AGP, standard PCI video cards: daisy chaining/SLi/Crossfire? Keiron[_5_] General 1 April 13th 11 04:51 PM
Chaining backups together with Backup Exec 11d Coleman Storage (alternative) 3 March 3rd 08 05:32 PM
Regarding Routers Lee Gateway Computers 2 July 14th 07 01:36 PM
Routers Jim Homebuilt PC's 11 April 20th 06 01:07 AM
Daisy Chaining KVM Switches Possible??? Larry Fine General 4 May 3rd 04 01:22 AM