Which DVD writer to choose ?

Old November 14th 08, 08:11 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
come_mon_come_mon!

Default Which DVD writer to choose ?

After 3 years of torturing, my LG 4167B DVD writer could no longer
recognize DVD content without many retries. Now I intend to purchase
another DVD writer for replacement. SATA or IDE interface were OK for
me although I prefer SATA type for performance issue.

My PC used Gigabyte GA-8S655FX-L motherboard and OS installed was
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.

The manual has below description related to SATA:

- Onboard SiS 964
- 2 Serial ATA connectors in 150 MB/s operation mode
- Supports Disk striping (RAID0) or DISK Mirroring (RAID1)
- Support JBOD function
- Supports UDMA up to 150 MB/sec
- UDMA and PIO Modes
- Up to 2 SATA Device

I remembered SATA was set to IDE mode in BIOS when I installed my SATA
II HDD.

Could anyone comment on below DVD models, which one would you
recommend:

Samsung TSH 653 SATA, TS H652 IDE
Lite-On DH20A4P IDE, DH-20A4H IDE, LH-18A3L SATA, iHAS120 SATA,
iHAS220 SATA
Pioneer DVR-116 IDE, DVR-216 SATA, DVR-S16 SATA, DVR-A16FX
SONY DRU-V200A IDE, DRU-V200S SATA
ASUS DRW2014S1 IDE, DRW2014S1T IDE, DRW2014L1T IDE, DRW2014LIT SATA,
DRW20B1ST SATA, DRW20B1LT SATA
LG GH22-NP IDE, GH20-NS SATA, GH-22NS SATA, GH-22LS SATA
Philips SPD2517BM SATA, SPD2517BD SATA
HP DVD1635i IDE

I use my new DVD writer heavily on video conversion. Those videos
(20-40 chapters) will be burned from my Pioneer DVR-550H-s recorder. I
do the conversion everyday. That is, 20-40 video clips will be
extracted from DVD-RW (or DVD+RW) disc everyday and converted to mpg
files using TSUNAMI MPEG DVD EasyPack. I seldom playback DVD directly
from DVD drive and I don't burn DVD using my DVD drive often i.e. less
than 1 disc burnt everyday on average.

I prefer SATA DVD writer because I think IDE interface will fade out
in coming motherboards and I think my Gigabyte motherboard will "die"
before the new DVD writer I buy soon. Besides, I found my current IDE
LG drive occupied all the CPU time sometimes during video coversion
from DVD+/-RW. I hope that a new SATA interface DVD writer will avoid
my PC from being "hung up" when it's working on video conversion.

PS: Due to my bad experience with my current LG DVD writer, I prefer
other brands of DVD writers. Yet, if you think LG drive quality have
no problem so, please still suggest which model you prefer.

Tks!
Old November 14th 08, 08:49 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Dave

[...]

OK, your needs are a bit unusual. You need a heavy use READER and a
moderate use writer. I'd suggest you choose any of the burners on your
list, based on which one has the fastest DVD-RW read speed at the lowest
price? Expect this one to wear out quickly. None of the drives on your
list are likely to stand up to heavy use for an extended period of time,
though the Pioneer (likely the most expensive) will probably last the
longest. Not because it's more expensive. Because Pioneer are better made
than any other brand on your list.

For your system, I'd probably get two burners. One fast reader, and one
writer. Use a Pioneer as a writer. Use anything else as a disposable
"READ" drive. -Dave

Old November 14th 08, 09:40 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Tony[_3_]

From your list either LG or Pioneer. The rest are junk especially phillips
and samsung.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Old November 14th 08, 10:13 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Vic Hyu Garcia

I believe that your SATA controller (SiS 964) does NOT support DVD's,
check your manual.
Anyway there is not performance difference at all, SATA I (150), PATA
133 (133) are both more than twice the max transfer rate of any current
DVD, so IDE is fine.
The difference in price between a reader and a R/W DVD is about $5, so
just get two DVD+RW and alternate then for each use.
Will recommend to stay away from Sony, HP and Philips, all others are OK.

Old November 14th 08, 10:38 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Once only

All you require is a firmware update for your LG burner,
this will bring it uptodate with the ever increasing range of
Blank media, fix bugs, and ensure full compatibility.
http://uk.lge.com/support/faq.jsp

Old November 14th 08, 11:59 PM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Andy

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 12:11:38 -0800 (PST), "come_mon_come_mon!"
wrote:

I prefer SATA DVD writer because I think IDE interface will fade out
in coming motherboards and I think my Gigabyte motherboard will "die"
before the new DVD writer I buy soon. Besides, I found my current IDE
LG drive occupied all the CPU time sometimes during video coversion
from DVD+/-RW. I hope that a new SATA interface DVD writer will avoid
my PC from being "hung up" when it's working on video conversion.

If merely reading a DVD disk with the LG drive sucks up all the CPU
time, it means that the motherboard IDE interface is running in PIO
mode instead of DMA mode.

Old November 15th 08, 06:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)

After 3 years of torturing, my LG 4167B DVD writer could no longer
recognize DVD content without many retries. Now I intend to purchase
another DVD writer for replacement. SATA or IDE interface were OK for
me although I prefer SATA type for performance issue.
My PC used Gigabyte GA-8S655FX-L motherboard and OS installed was
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2.
- Up to 2 SATA Device

I remembered SATA was set to IDE mode in BIOS when I installed my SATA
II HDD.

Stick with LG.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (Xubuntu 8.04.1) Linux 2.6.26.8
Old November 15th 08, 08:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fitz[_2_]

I have the Lite-on LH-20AH1 and the GH-22LS30. Both are SATA.
Both are Light Scribe, so if you have no need for that, you can save
yourself a couple bucks by getting the non-LS version. The Lite-on is
noticeably louder than the LG, but has been very reliable. The LG is
fairly new, so I really can't comment about it's durability or reliability.
So far it's worked well.

Fitz

--
Your body is a temple boy,
You ought to treat it well
Old November 15th 08, 11:10 AM posted to alt.video.dvd.tech,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,24hoursupport.helpdesk
come_mon_come_mon!

On 11¤ë15¤é, ¤W¤È4®É49¤À, "Dave" wrote:
[...]

"READ" drive. -Dave- ÁôÂóQ¤Þ¥Î¤å¦r -

- Åã¥Ü³Q¤Þ¥Î¤å¦r -

You reminded me I have an old SONY DVD-ROM drive. May be I can use
that old stuff.