archival-grade gold CD?

Old June 19th 07, 10:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Steve T

Default archival-grade gold CD?

Niece had photos burned to CD by Costco that had this statement on the
jacket:

"Your pictures have been burned to an archival-grade gold CD. When stored
and handled properly, your pictures can be preserved for up to 300 years. "

There is no brand name on the CD. Anybody point me to a brand or is this
just BS? Thanks, Steve T.

Old June 19th 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

Steve T wrote:

Niece had photos burned to CD by Costco that had this statement on the
jacket:

"Your pictures have been burned to an archival-grade gold CD. When stored
and handled properly, your pictures can be preserved for up to 300 years. "

There is no brand name on the CD. Anybody point me to a brand or is this
just BS? Thanks, Steve T.

these ones? (I haven't used any myself, I just googled)

http://www.spaphoto.co.uk/store/acat...Gold_CD_R.html

--
Paul (Please dont take a picture)
Stop and Look
Old June 19th 07, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Steve T

I searched after posting and found many also but still wondering if they are
that much better than "regular" CD's? Thanks, Steve T.

"

Old June 19th 07, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

Steve T wrote:

I searched after posting and found many also but still wondering if they are
that much better than "regular" CD's? Thanks, Steve T.

I just did a little search and they certainly seem to recommend a gold
reflective layer for archiving... here's one page where they give you
some gen - just follow it down to the bit titled "General
recommendations for long-term storage conditions, and the next section
gives you some detail of certain gold discs.

Old June 19th 07, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dan G

There's no credible evidence that the composition of the reflective layer
makes any difference at all in terms of longevity. CDRs are supposed to be
sealed with lacquer, so any reflective layer should be equally capable of
lasting. If the seal happens to be inadequate, then it's true that gold will
not oxidize, and so might remain readable.

That brings up the next item, which is that there are equally good and bad
examples of every type of CDR, due to good and bad manufacturing. Gold is no
exception, they can be good or bad. Sloppy quality control and crappy dye
formulation are 2 examples of variables that gold CDRs are not immune to.
Not to mention that thanks to bad QC, the gold reflective layer could just
as easily peel or flake off the same as any other, making the disc useless.

Old June 22nd 07, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike Richter

Steve T wrote:
Niece had photos burned to CD by Costco that had this statement on the
jacket:

"Your pictures have been burned to an archival-grade gold CD. When stored
and handled properly, your pictures can be preserved for up to 300 years. "

There is no brand name on the CD. Anybody point me to a brand or is this
just BS? Thanks, Steve T.

Not necessarily BS, but there has long been a belief that gold
metallizing is more durable than silver and that MAM-A (formerly Mitsui)
gold archival discs are longer-lasting than others.

A source for quality media and supplies which has served me well is
http://www.am-dig.com/

Premium discs carry a premium price. Whether they are worth it is, at
best, debatable.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old June 22nd 07, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae
http://tinyurl.com/2qnvph
http://tinyurl.com/38wte6
http://tinyurl.com/34jchb
http://tinyurl.com/2xfbkz

(No Mikey S-Lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a )
(LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels & misquotes!)
'

Steve T wrote:

Niece had photos burned to CD by Costco that had this statement on the
jacket:

"Your pictures have been burned to an archival-grade gold CD. When stored
and handled properly, your pictures can be preserved for up to 300 years. "

There is no brand name on the CD. Anybody point me to a brand or is this
just BS? Thanks, Steve T.

Maybe it's Mobile Fidelity?

========================
From: XYZxyzee
Date: 4/22/07
Subject: Ultradisc 24KT Gold CD-Rs by MoFi?

Has anybody here ever tried the following kind of blank CD-R?
http://www.mofi.com/productcart/pc/v...1&idproduct=41

Where as the average CD-R has a projected lifespan of
only 20 years ... our accelerated aging tests predict that
the 24KT Gold ULTRADISC CD-R will retain its specifications
for more than 300 years.

An old article on the advantages of gold:
http://www.mscience.com/faq53.html

What is 'A-Grade' exactly? johannes UK Computer Vendors 1 October 6th 06 10:02 PM
P4P800 SE gold vs. non-gold Lucian Ion Asus Motherboards 2 March 8th 05 03:04 AM
Anyone used MIS Archival Inks? [email protected] Printers 3 January 3rd 05 08:12 PM
Best archival media? dg Cdr 2 May 8th 04 04:47 PM
A new gold standard for archival storage? David Arnstein Storage & Hardrives 2 December 28th 03 07:33 PM