Dell: NOT a bargain, more of a warning!

Old January 23rd 07, 09:17 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Mike Scott

Default NOT a bargain, more of a warning!

Zimmy wrote:
Not everyone has an in-house IT techie, and friends of mine with a 2-man
business spent hours of valuable time re-installing Windows, drivers etc.
on a Dell laptop, when all the time the motherboard was faulty. When the guy
did eventually come out he had brought the wrong motherboard. Needless to
say, they now use Sonys.

After recent experience with others of their products, I am happy to
suppose that "Sony support" is another oxymoron. Wouldn't touch anything
labelled Sony with a bargepole now.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)
Old January 25th 07, 11:54 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Zimmy

"Mike Scott" wrote in message
Zimmy wrote:
Not everyone has an in-house IT techie, and friends of mine with a 2-man
business spent hours of valuable time re-installing Windows, drivers
etc. on a Dell laptop, when all the time the motherboard was faulty. When
the guy did eventually come out he had brought the wrong motherboard.
Needless to say, they now use Sonys.

After recent experience with others of their products, I am happy to
suppose that "Sony support" is another oxymoron. Wouldn't touch anything
labelled Sony with a bargepole now.

My friend bought from a Sony Centre shop. Not the cheapest I know but he
gets very good support directly from the guy in the shop, who also
pre-configured and installed stuff for him.
Don't know what their online/call-centre support is like, and I suppose it
depends on who works in your local shop.

In any case, saves me work!

Old January 31st 07, 08:46 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors
Mike Scott

Zimmy wrote:
"Mike Scott" wrote in message

After recent experience with others of their products, I am happy to
suppose that "Sony support" is another oxymoron. Wouldn't touch anything
labelled Sony with a bargepole now.

My friend bought from a Sony Centre shop. Not the cheapest I know but he
gets very good support directly from the guy in the shop, who also
pre-configured and installed stuff for him.
Don't know what their online/call-centre support is like, and I suppose it
depends on who works in your local shop.

In any case, saves me work!

No complaint about the local Sony Centre. They gave all they could - but
internal technical details are /way/ beyond their ken. To be expected.
They were as disgusted as I was about Sony support - "SS" told the both
the shop and me it was up to the /shop/ to sort out a complex driver
problem.

BTW, after finding my minidisk doesn't record properly (possibly never
did - I've not used it for extended live recording before), I contacted
Sony to find out about getting it fixed. They have this wonderful "fixed
price" service scheme. They charge a fixed £70-ish for minidisk
repairs. If the repair costs less than that, they keep the difference,
if it costs more, they send it back as unrepairable - and charge £20-30
for the privilege. It only took them 3 weeks to reply too.

Sony? Never, ever, again.

various domains listed at www.scottsonline.org.uk
Mike Scott Harlow Essex England.(unet -a-t- scottsonline.org.uk)