upgrade advice

Old September 20th 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Moods

Default upgrade advice

I have an athlon XP-M on an Abit NF-7, running at 11x200 (1,575v).
Thinking about upgrading to something 939 as am2 requires me to buy new ddr2
mem.
Is it worth the upgrade? I mean what is the new bang for the buck,..
My budget is small, I will need motherboard, processor and pci-x video card.
Like to play games now and then but not the newest.
Any recomendations?

--
http://moods.bashed.nl
Old September 20th 06, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:52:30 +0200, Moods wrote:

I have an athlon XP-M on an Abit NF-7, running at 11x200 (1,575v).
Thinking about upgrading to something 939 as am2 requires me to buy new ddr2
mem.
Is it worth the upgrade? I mean what is the new bang for the buck,..
My budget is small, I will need motherboard, processor and pci-x video card.
Like to play games now and then but not the newest.
Any recomendations?

AMD X2 3800+ or Intel E6300. If you stay with a 939 MB, you could use your
old ram and video card. There's a few boards alos that have both AGP and
PCIe video slots. Either of these cpu's will overclock good.

Old September 21st 06, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Dylan C

Wes Newell wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:52:30 +0200, Moods wrote:

I have an athlon XP-M on an Abit NF-7, running at 11x200 (1,575v).
Thinking about upgrading to something 939 as am2 requires me to buy new ddr2
mem.
Is it worth the upgrade? I mean what is the new bang for the buck,..
My budget is small, I will need motherboard, processor and pci-x video card.
Like to play games now and then but not the newest.
Any recomendations?

AMD X2 3800+ or Intel E6300. If you stay with a 939 MB, you could use your
old ram and video card. There's a few boards alos that have both AGP and
PCIe video slots. Either of these cpu's will overclock good.

I have a 939 X2 3800+ on an Abit AV8. Stock speed is 2GHz but I was
able to push mine to 2.4GHz (240MHz x10) on stock voltage. Others have
gotten better results with better cooling and higher voltage.

-Dylan C
Old September 21st 06, 03:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

Do it if something you're doing is cpu-limited, otherwise save your $$.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old September 21st 06, 09:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
robin gordon

i would play games a lot and through recommendation of a few friends i
decided the only thing to do was upgrade to 64 bit processing. BIG MISTAKE.
i had an xp 2500 running on a 205FSB with 1 G of ram and an nvidia 128MB
6800 (running at 400/800 with an extra pipeline unlocked). i tried
benchmarking this and got average sort of results (cant remember now) so i
decided to check what i could afford and what was recommended to me via
magazines and people.
my new system is a Gigabyte NF4 mobo with opteron 144, arctic cooling
freezer Pro, 1 G of kingston ram running in dual channel modeand an ATI
850XT PE graphics card. a review or two had shown an X800 keep up with SLI
6800 ultra and GT setups so i thought this would outgun the need for SLI.
built the system and after a few slow tests i benchmarked it to find my new
system was only as fast as my old one. money wasted or what ??
i decided to do a bit of overclocking and through trial and error i now have
a system running at 2.6GHz. Its pretty sharp off the mark but not that much
faster than the old one.
just be particular in what you want and purchase the fastest you can afford
now for it will be outdated in a week or so.

Good Luck.

Robin

Old September 21st 06, 12:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Ed Light

"robin gordon" wrote
i had an xp 2500

my new system is a Gigabyte NF4 mobo with opteron 144

built the system and after a few slow tests i benchmarked it to find my
new system was only as fast as my old one.

In my case I knew that mhz for mhz the Athlon 64 would run Trainz about 30%
faster than my Mobile XP. Trainz is very cpu-bound. So, going from an XP at
2 mhz to the easy overclock of a 64 at 2.4 mhz got many densely detailed
scenes up to reasonably smooth. About 50% faster in framerates.

FYI Trainz lets users make worlds and upload them for other users to use. So
there's nothing to keep anyone from packing in tons of details. I had to go
from my 6600GT to an fx5200 for a week and I was amazed that Trainz still
ran ok. So it really is cpu-bound. But you do need at least a 6600GT to run
some decent AF and AA.

The CPU and GPU charts at tomshardware.com are helpful. They're on the right
of the page.
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old September 21st 06, 03:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Frodo

Asrock makes a motherboard that is Socket 939, uses DDR and has both an AGP
& PCI-Ex slot.
http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-VSTA.htm
So you could use your current AGP card and DDR memory
You could run an from an AMD X2 3800+ up to an X2 4800+ dual core on it.
It also uses the 20 pin power connection like your current power supply.
Newer motherboards require the 24 pin power connection.

Old September 22nd 06, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
VanShania

I think your mistake was going from the 6800 to the ATI card. Its inferior
to the 6800.

--
Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 128mb
MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi,Pioneer 110D, 111D
Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb Dual Channel OCZ
2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
XPMCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
Games I'm Playing- Falcon 4, SP:WAW

Old September 22nd 06, 05:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Conor

In article , Moods says...
I have an athlon XP-M on an Abit NF-7, running at 11x200 (1,575v).
Thinking about upgrading to something 939 as am2 requires me to buy new ddr2
mem.
Is it worth the upgrade? I mean what is the new bang for the buck,..
My budget is small, I will need motherboard, processor and pci-x video card.
Like to play games now and then but not the newest.
Any recomendations?

You can use an Asrock 939 Dual SATA2 motherboard which has both PCI-e
and AGP graphics slots.

--
Conor

I'm really a nice guy. If I had friends, they would tell you.
Old September 28th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
VanShania

The best thing to do to see if its your vid card or cpu dragging you down is
using futuremarks 3D Mark 2005. It gives you an OVERALL score and a CPU
score. I read a 2004 article comparing ATI's 850 XT to an Ultra 6800 and it
said the 850 kicked butt. But you said you had a 850XT PE. Go to a place
like www.pcworld.com and goto their product finder and check the specs on
each board. It will till you how many pipelines each card has and speed of
memory.

Upgrade advice required SteveB General 5 November 23rd 05 09:54 AM
Looking for Upgrade Advice BRH Ati Videocards 8 November 19th 05 07:52 PM
Advice on upgrade (cpu/motherboard/gcard) Schrodinger General 5 July 26th 05 07:54 PM
system upgrade.. advice on video card please thesleepyone Nvidia Videocards 2 July 4th 05 12:36 AM
Upgrade advice needed... Gary I. Asus Motherboards 0 June 23rd 03 07:40 AM