Presario 5225 won't boot after installing new video card

Old January 20th 05, 05:41 PM
Road_Man

Default Presario 5225 won't boot after installing new video card

I have a Compaq Presario 5225 with Windows 98, 320 MB of RAM and an
AMD-K6-2 533 MHz processor. It has built-in AGP graphics on the
motherboard. It has two PCI slots, one of which has a 56K modem and
the other which has an Ethernet card for connecting my cable modem.

I attempted to do a cheap upgrade of the video by installing an ATI
Radeon 7000 64MB PCI video card. Even though my computer has 4 MB of
built-in AGP graphics (expandable to 8MB with more video memory on the
board), it has no AGP slot.... only the two PCI slots. Hence I bought
a PCI card.

After removing the unneeded 56K modem and installing the new video
card, the computer won't boot, aka the Compaq splash screen never comes
up. The fans will kick on and the drives will begin to spin, but that
is it. I have the monitor plugged into the new card, and the LED does
indeed turn green, meaning that the onboard video is disabled and it
recognizes the new video card as being there. But it goes no further
than that. I see the monitor flicker for a second at bootup, and then
the fans come on and the drives spin. But the Compaq splash screen
never comes up, and nothing else happens. Just a black screen.

I disabled the drivers in Device Manager in Win 98. I also activated
the VGA PCI Snoop setting in the system BIOS. Same result.

When I remove the card and plus the monitor back in its old built-in
slot, everything is normal. How can I get my computer to boot with the
new card? Remember that the monitor does flicker at first, and the LED
is green.

--
Road_Man
Old January 20th 05, 11:08 PM
Ben Myers

Either the PCI graphics card was not seated properly in its slot or it is
incompatible with the Presario 5225, which may not meet the more recent PCI
specification. Unfortunately, the PCI specification (like USB and IDE/ATAPI) is
a moving target. The electronic connector and slot are the same as the even
older original PCI 1.0 spec, but there are variations from PCI 1.0 to 1.1 to 2.0
to 2.1 to 2.2. Not all manufacturers test backward compatibility thoroughly.

.... Ben Myers

Old January 21st 05, 12:14 AM
HH

Take out the PCI video card, move the monitor cable to the onboard AGP port
and reboot. Hit F10 to enter setup. There should be a selection in the
Advanced Section to set video initialization. Set it to PCI. Then save
changes, shut down, reinstall the PCI video card, move the monitor cable to
that port and boot up.
HH