Moving my graphics card to the second PCIe slot

Old May 23rd 09, 05:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
rms[_2_]

Default Moving my graphics card to the second PCIe slot

What happens if I move the Graphics card down? The second slot is rated x8
rather x16 for operating mode. Is that as bad a performance hit as it
sounds.

Some time ago I recall reading that (back then) current cards didn't use
much of the x16 bandwidth, so give it a try.

Finally does any one know of a good seller of thermal pads, the thick
ones.

Thermal tape is commonly available, but how thick a gap is the question.
The double-sided sticky ones are still less than 1mm I'm sure. Aftermarket
coolers often use separate small video ram heatsinks.

rms

Old May 23rd 09, 07:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Carl

Thermal pads on this German site may be suitable:

http://www.aquatuning.de/index.php/c...interface.html
Old May 23rd 09, 08:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
First of One[_2_]

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...is,1572-8.html
Last time someone tested this was in 2007. With cards up to the Geforce 8800
series (and by extension the 9800 series), going from 16x to 8x the
performance drop is minimal. Going from 8x to 4x is significant.