would a 9----GX2 card run in a single slot PCIe motherboard?

Old June 5th 08, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Gorby

Default would a 9----GX2 card run in a single slot PCIe motherboard?

Hi all,
This may be a silly question, but I don't know the answer.
I have a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard. This motherboard has only a
single PCIe slot. I currently have a 8800GT 640meg video card.
Would a 9---GX2 card run in this motherboard. I used to have an ASUS
motherboard with 2 PCIe slots. This MB wanted a circuit card swapped
(plugged in the other way) when you went to 2 cards in SLI.

So I have a MB that only accepts 1 card. Does a MB have to be SLI
compatible to run a 9---GX2, or would a dual GPU that runs SLI
"internally" work?

Cheers
Gorby
Old June 5th 08, 11:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

"Gorby" wrote in message
node...
This may be a silly question, but I don't know the answer.
I have a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard. This motherboard has only a
single PCIe slot. I currently have a 8800GT 640meg video card.
Would a 9---GX2 card run in this motherboard.

Yeah it'll work in your mobo. In fact, it's one of the 9800GX2's selling
features.

I used to have an ASUS motherboard with 2 PCIe slots. This MB wanted a
circuit card swapped (plugged in the other way) when you went to 2 cards
in SLI.

That was a first-gen chipset, which had a total of 16 PCIe lanes available.
The switch card simply changed the routing between having all 16 lanes going
to one slot, or splitting them so that 8 lanes went to each slot. Later
boards had a full 16 lanes going to each slot, eliminating the switch card.

Old June 5th 08, 11:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos[_2_]

Gorby wrote:
Hi all,
This may be a silly question, but I don't know the answer.
I have a Gigabyte P35C-DS3R motherboard. This motherboard has only a
single PCIe slot. I currently have a 8800GT 640meg video card.
Would a 9---GX2 card run in this motherboard. I used to have an ASUS
motherboard with 2 PCIe slots. This MB wanted a circuit card swapped
(plugged in the other way) when you went to 2 cards in SLI.

So I have a MB that only accepts 1 card. Does a MB have to be SLI
compatible to run a 9---GX2, or would a dual GPU that runs SLI
"internally" work?

Cheers
Gorby

A GX2 is an on-card SLI device, it has only one "bus" though to send
data through, and if not explicitly used, the card will function as a
single GPU. So it should work fine. Even if you had an older SLI board
which split the circuit into two 8x PCIE slots, it would still run fine.
I doubt the P35 has any compatibility problems with PCIE 2.0 either.

One word of caution though, the 9 series is really not "better" than the
GF8's, in many cases they run slower (slightly); for NVIDIA the big
advantage is manufacturing and price. You might want to evaluate an
8800GTX before spending a lot of money; surprisingly even in difficult
tests, it still comes close to a proper SLI setup.
Old June 5th 08, 11:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

One word of caution though, the 9 series is really not "better" than the
GF8's, in many cases they run slower (slightly); for NVIDIA the big
advantage is manufacturing and price. You might want to evaluate an
8800GTX before spending a lot of money; surprisingly even in difficult
tests, it still comes close to a proper SLI setup.

Especially when you can get a brand new PNY 8800GTX 768mB OC unit for a
"right now" PRICE OF $289.

Old June 5th 08, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

Especially when you can get a brand new PNY 8800GTX 768mB OC unit for a
"right now" PRICE OF $289.

Sorry, that one's out of stock right now....this PNY 8800GTX one is $269
and in stock...

Crazy price....8800GTS units go in this price range.

Old June 6th 08, 01:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Augustus wrote:
Especially when you can get a brand new PNY 8800GTX 768mB OC unit for a
"right now" PRICE OF $289.

Sorry, that one's out of stock right now....this PNY 8800GTX one is $269
and in stock...

Crazy price....8800GTS units go in this price range.

Wow, not only is that a great price but that card is over a year and a
half old and a whole new GeForce line has come out plus maybe a dozen or
so different models of cards since then as well and it holds it own
against all of them.

Man, why couldn't we have had this Civilization-going-out-of-Business
sale sooner! (half j/k)
Old June 6th 08, 03:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

The GTX280 just appeared a couple of days ago in photos. May have something
to do with it...

. ..

PCIe slot use Gilgamesh General 2 April 22nd 08 01:35 PM
Single video card on SLI motherboard Mark G. Nvidia Videocards 5 March 5th 07 03:35 PM
A8N-SLI pcie 1x slot akaliel Asus Motherboards 2 January 25th 05 08:21 PM
What is a "pcie" x1 slot used for on an XPS G3? Ron Glass Dell Computers 4 September 11th 04 10:14 PM
pcie x1 slot on a XPS Gen 3 Ron Glass Dell Computers 0 September 7th 04 05:30 AM