The future of PCs

Old July 3rd 05, 02:31 AM
Tim

Default The future of PCs

64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature. I
know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be fully
utilized? Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
make the complete transition? Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will
there be a special 64bit version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now) All
thoughts appreciated.

Old July 3rd 05, 03:21 AM
Wes Newell

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 21:31:55 -0400, Tim wrote:

64 bit architecture, multiple cores, it's all wonderful stuff. But as
everyone probably knows, without a mainstream 64bit OS with solid drivers,
without 64bit apps optimized for multithreading, it's all a bit premature. I
know that this technology has its advantages now but when will it be fully
utilized? Does anyone care to predict how long until software/OS developers
make the complete transition? Will Longhorn be 64bit by default or will
there be a special 64bit version? (the way XP Pro is just getting now) All
thoughts appreciated.

My though is that everyone thought like you we'd still be using 8 bit
cpu's and dos. Why did we need a 386? Why did we need a 486? The same was
said about them back then.

Old July 3rd 05, 03:39 AM
The Primate

newsan.2005.07.03.02.22.43.248884@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

--

That kinda makes me think back. I'm 44 and a friend of my fathers started
me on computers probably in my 20's (coco). Last time I visited him he

Can't get over it, this was a smart guy. I'm probably lucky to understand
tech at my age will continue to do so, people still come to me despite the
fact we now have a dedicated IT staff.

CYA

Old July 3rd 05, 03:55 AM
Tim

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.02.22.43.248884@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

My though is that everyone thought like you we'd still be using 8 bit
cpu's and dos. Why did we need a 386? Why did we need a 486? The same was
said about them back then.

You've got it all wrong. I think it's great we're making the transition to
64 bit, I'm just trying picture the time frame for it.

Old July 3rd 05, 05:07 AM
Ed Light

Dunno the time frame, but it will fully take hold when programs begin to
come out for 64 bit only, like they came out for Windows 16 bit only, then
32-bit only, then XP only.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old July 3rd 05, 05:52 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:55:24 +0000, Tim wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.02.22.43.248884@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

My though is that everyone thought like you we'd still be using 8 bit
cpu's and dos. Why did we need a 386? Why did we need a 486? The same was
said about them back then.

You've got it all wrong. I think it's great we're making the transition to
64 bit, I'm just trying picture the time frame for it.

Well let me think. I first installed a 64bit OS about 18 months ago. Since
then there's been 3 new releases of the Linux distro I use. So in the
linux world the time frame has already come some time back. Couldn't say
with Windows, I don't use it.

Old July 3rd 05, 06:13 AM

so what is the best 64 bit Linux in your opinion? and what 64 bit Linux
programs are there that are just plain awesome or better than window's
equivalents. I've got redhat 9.0 but I haven't installed it on my new
athlon 64 machine thinking I'd eventually download a 64 bit Linux someday.
Up till now I've been of the opinion that Linux is nice but it just isn't
practical for my purposes. I love iTunes, and MS Flight Sim. I use MS
Office 2003 all the time. I'm planning on getting a Mac simply because
their iLife software suite is so awesome. I've heard about some kind of
flight sim for Linux but I can't help but think that it just can't be as
visually stunning as Microsoft's Flight Sim.
In other words, what is there to do on Linux (that can't be done better in
Windows XP or Mac OS X? Not that I'm a fanboy of either.)
Roy

Old July 3rd 05, 07:14 AM
Tim

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.04.53.52.53860@TAKEOUTverizon. net...
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:55:24 +0000, Tim wrote:

Well let me think. I first installed a 64bit OS about 18 months ago. Since
then there's been 3 new releases of the Linux distro I use. So in the
linux world the time frame has already come some time back.

So I assume then that all of your apps are 64 bit as well? Any optimized
for multi-core processing?

Old July 3rd 05, 10:05 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 01:13:13 -0400, a wrote:

so what is the best 64 bit Linux in your opinion? and what 64 bit Linux
programs are there that are just plain awesome or better than window's
equivalents. I've got redhat 9.0 but I haven't installed it on my new
athlon 64 machine thinking I'd eventually download a 64 bit Linux someday.
Up till now I've been of the opinion that Linux is nice but it just isn't
practical for my purposes. I love iTunes, and MS Flight Sim. I use MS
Office 2003 all the time. I'm planning on getting a Mac simply because
their iLife software suite is so awesome. I've heard about some kind of
flight sim for Linux but I can't help but think that it just can't be as
visually stunning as Microsoft's Flight Sim.
In other words, what is there to do on Linux (that can't be done better in
Windows XP or Mac OS X? Not that I'm a fanboy of either.)
Roy

I'm not a reviewer so find the one you like best. I personally started out
with Mandrake and stuck with it. I don't know anything about Win XP. Never
used it. Linux does everything better except collect viruses. Windows
can't be beat at that.

Old July 3rd 05, 10:12 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 06:14:38 +0000, Tim wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.07.03.04.53.52.53860@TAKEOUTverizon. net...
On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 02:55:24 +0000, Tim wrote:

Well let me think. I first installed a 64bit OS about 18 months ago. Since
then there's been 3 new releases of the Linux distro I use. So in the
linux world the time frame has already come some time back.

So I assume then that all of your apps are 64 bit as well? Any optimized
for multi-core processing?

AFAIK, all the apps that come with the 64bit distros are all 64 bit. Don't
have multicore but Linux certainly supports them. As for each apps
support, you've got to be kidding. I don't know which do and which don't,
with the exception of the server apps. I suspect all of them support
multi core/cpu's.