Most efficient way to obtain a paper analog design book fromPDF (see URL)

Old March 28th 12, 05:18 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,comp.cad.cadence,comp.periphs.printers
default[_3_]

Default Most efficient way to obtain a paper analog design book fromPDF (see URL)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 03:42:00 +0000, Martin C. wrote:

There are electronics books out there that I'd like to print but I'm
trying to figure out what's the most efficient way to do so.

For example, here's a 250-page book titled "Designing Analog Chips" by
Hans Camenzind, located at: http://www.designinganalogchips.com

Is there an efficient printing mechanism that you can tell me about?

For example, I only have a B&W laser printer.

The book is 250 pages (so that's 125 sheets of paper). At Costco, I can
buy 1,000 sheets of paper for $35 (~4 cents a sheet). How much is
typical laser powder cost per two-sided sheet of paper?

If I assume total costs at about 5 cents a sheet, that book costs me
about $6.25 to print. But, the author recommends color. Plus you'd want
to bind it somehow. Plus, not all books are in an 8.5x11 form factor.

Larger books will cost correspondingly more.

Other than buying the book new or used on Amazon, do you have helpful
ideas for self printing of electronic design books most efficiently?

Seems a tad OT for alt.internet.wireless. Followups reset to include
comp.periphs.printers
Old March 28th 12, 06:27 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,comp.cad.cadence,comp.periphs.printers
Martin C.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 04:18:14 +0000, default wrote:

Followups reset to include comp.periphs.printers

Good idea. Thanks!

BTW, I found more analog design links to try to print efficiently
(somehow):

Analog IC Design, by Phillip E. Allen
http://www.aicdesign.org/scnotes10.html

My goal is to learn analog IC design by reading the free books out there
and using the EDA CAD tools available.

If you have an idea how to print & bind books efficiently, I'd love to
know the secret.

Old March 31st 12, 10:46 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,comp.cad.cadence,comp.periphs.printers
Martin C.

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 03:57:54 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Other than buying the book new or used on Amazon, do you have helpful
ideas for self printing of electronic design books most efficiently?

UPDATE:

We moved the discussion over to alt.home.repair which has already enough
references for anyone to print, cut, and bind book at home for about five
bucks.

Old April 2nd 12, 02:50 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,comp.cad.cadence,comp.periphs.printers
Martin C.

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 09:38:06 -0700, Bennett wrote:

Have you considered a Kindle?

Never.

I enjoy leafing through a real paper book!

It's like the difference between sugar and saccharin.
Old April 2nd 12, 04:51 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,comp.cad.cadence,comp.periphs.printers
Michael Black[_2_]

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, The Real Bev wrote:

On 04/01/2012 06:50 PM, Martin C. wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 09:38:06 -0700, Bennett wrote:

Have you considered a Kindle?

Never.

I enjoy leafing through a real paper book!

Yes. OTOH, printing a digital book seems like something no sane person would
ever want to do.

I have mixed feelings. I do like a book, and dislike getting new things
that don't have a real manual.

So when I got a digital camera a few years back, I did print out some of
the manual, though promptly lost it in a pile of other papers.

I think for something like that, the trick is to print out the sections
that actually matter. I don't need an introduction to digital cameras, or
safety instructions, or all that stuff about printing photos. But setting
the controls is something I havent' done much, so I print those.

Someone said "you can't highlight and mark digital texts". But you can
often just cut and paste, saving key points into a separate file. I've
done that when approaching a new program, look for posts about it and save
interesting bits, read the faq and save the bits I need at the moment. It
works.

I try to use paper only for stuff that I actually NEED paper for; I really
wish that digital cameras had been invented 60 years ago :-(

IN some ways, the ereaders and tablets may actually help that process.
Reading at a desk, because the computer is there, isn't so great, but on a
tablet you can read it anywhere, and there's a coziness that isn't there
with a full computer, or even laptop.

PDAs came and went, nobody wanting that function without a phone. Tablets
are in effect larger PDAs, coming back with wifi built in. It's kind of
silly to keep notes on a computer if you can't keep the notes handy with
you, but once you can carry them around on an ereader or tablet, then you
actually have the notes of things you need to do when you need to do them.

Michael
Old April 2nd 12, 05:42 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,comp.cad.cadence,comp.periphs.printers
The Real Bev[_2_]

On 04/01/2012 08:51 PM, Michael Black wrote:

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012, The Real Bev wrote:

On 04/01/2012 06:50 PM, Martin C. wrote:

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 09:38:06 -0700, Bennett wrote:

Have you considered a Kindle?
Never.

I enjoy leafing through a real paper book!

Yes. OTOH, printing a digital book seems like something no sane person would
ever want to do.

I have mixed feelings. I do like a book, and dislike getting new things
that don't have a real manual.

I've found that I use the manual I download from the manufacturer's site
to be much more useful than the paper manual -- it's WAY easier to
search a pdf file than a paper manual.

So when I got a digital camera a few years back, I did print out some of
the manual, though promptly lost it in a pile of other papers.

I really hate the way they seem to arrange manuals now. Apparently
'leap in and just use the damn thing' is what most people do, rather
than actually configuring it.

I think for something like that, the trick is to print out the sections
that actually matter. I don't need an introduction to digital cameras, or
safety instructions, or all that stuff about printing photos. But setting
the controls is something I havent' done much, so I print those.

OTOH, I have the paper manual for the aftermarket cd/radio/mp3 player in
my car because the damn thing has menus and submenus and I hate
hierarchical controls. I'm really impressed with the guy (from Fry's)
who installed it -- he set it up the way I would have without even asking!

[...]

I like the idea of a tablet, but I have large clumsy fingers and virtual
keyboards are nearly impossible for me to use, even the ones on 10"
tablets. I can't even imagine trying to use one on a phone.

--
Cheers, Bev
"In all recorded history there has not been one economist who has
Old April 3rd 12, 03:04 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,comp.cad.cadence,comp.periphs.printers
Martin C.

On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 19:37:27 -0700, The Real Bev wrote:

Is there some utility that will print 4 pages on one sheet and
ultimately allow you to flip the stack of paper and print the second
half on the back?

I understand your comment about 'printing a digital book' being,
essentially, insane. I agree. In a way. I just like paper for technical
things (scribbles, highlighting, calculations, and the like).

As for utilities, the only ones I know about are "Fineprint" for Windows
and "fprint & fp" for Linux.

I am positive Fineprint will do any imposition printing you might need.
I'm not so sure of the 'fp' and 'fprint' Linux alternatives though.