AMD64 system - no video

Old April 7th 05, 05:14 AM
Andrew Krieg

Default AMD64 system - no video

I'm building an AMD64 system. So far I've hooked up:

Asus A8N-SLI Mobo
Athlon 3800+ CPU
Thermalright XP-120 heatsink
Antec NeoPower 480 power supply
2x512Mb DDR400 PC3200 DIMMs
eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT PCI Express video card

I thought I'd power it up and make sure everything so far was working
(check for BIOS prompt). It powers up fine. All the fans and lights
are working. There's a green light on the mobo. I'm not getting any
video signal out though. I didn't expect only DVI ports on the video
card, but I'm using one of the DVI-DB-15 adapters that came with it.

Any ideas on things to check for the missing video signal?

The only other strange thing I've seen is that the soft power switch on
the front of the case works fine for turning the system on, but won't
work for turning it off (even if held in continuously). Could the
problems be related?

--
=__ __ __ _ __ _= Andrew Krieg - Professional Newsgroup Junkie =
=_ __ _ __ _ _ __= =
Old April 7th 05, 09:43 AM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 04:14:41 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:

I'm building an AMD64 system. So far I've hooked up:
Antec NeoPower 480 power supply

The only other strange thing I've seen is that the soft power switch on
the front of the case works fine for turning the system on, but won't
work for turning it off (even if held in continuously). Could the
problems be related?

Try changing the PSU. I heard there' a problem with some Antec PSU's. Get
a cheap 600W. If that works contact Antec for a free fix. Here's a cheap
one that should work fine.

http://store.mrtechus.com/60ulapatxcop.html

Old April 7th 05, 10:01 AM
Strings

DON'T DO IT that's bad advice. A 350w Enermax has more quality cleaner power
than a cheep 600w
Example: Enermax 350w has 26A on 12V+ that cheep 600w has 24A+ (buy cheap
buy twice)
Never use cheep power supplies they most all are JUNK and may do more harm
than good.
Poor power supplies are the number one cause of phantom problems.
1- Check the BIOS for power on and off settings
2- I would disconnect all but the mainboard then reseat all chips, Ram and
CPU reseat all PS connectors then boot.

http://www.amdboard.com/psu.html
http://www4.tomshardware.com/column/20011012/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20041223/index.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040122/index.html

newsan.2005.04.07.08.46.18.281857@TAKEOUTverizon .net...

Old April 7th 05, 10:20 AM
DougH

[...]

I have the same motherboard. Did you check the position of the ASUS EZ
selector card? That's the little card between the video slots that tells
the motherboard if you have one or two video cards installed. The user
guide says that the card is in the single video default position. I checked
mine to be sure and it was installed with the dual video side plugged in. I
removed the EZ selector and reinstalled it on the other side. Works great.

--
DougH
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe/AMD 3500+

Old April 7th 05, 11:51 AM
Derek Baker

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2005.04.07.08.46.18.281857@TAKEOUTverizon .net...
On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 04:14:41 +0000, Andrew Krieg wrote:

I'm building an AMD64 system. So far I've hooked up:
Antec NeoPower 480 power supply

The only other strange thing I've seen is that the soft power switch on
the front of the case works fine for turning the system on, but won't
work for turning it off (even if held in continuously). Could the
problems be related?

Try changing the PSU. I heard there' a problem with some Antec PSU's.

Link?

Get a cheap 600W. If that works contact Antec for a free fix. Here's a
cheap
one that should work fine.

http://store.mrtechus.com/60ulapatxcop.html

Don't buy cheap PSUs.

--
Derek

Old April 7th 05, 03:42 PM
Mike

he suggested the cheapie to test
and if the test is successful to get the good PS fixed/replaced

Old April 7th 05, 04:11 PM
Andrew Krieg

In article ,
DougH wrote:
[...]

Yes, the single/dual card is set correctly. Does the video card need to
be wired for power any special way? I just have it getting power off
the main cord on the power supply, although the PS does have other ports
where more power cords can be plugged in. I read in a forum some
reference to having a separate power cord for the PCI Express video
card. Is this how you are set up? The fan is running on the video
card, so it is getting some power. The documentation with the video
card is sorely lacking in information.

Old April 7th 05, 04:48 PM
Wes Newell

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:01:48 +0000, Strings wrote:

DON'T DO IT that's bad advice. A 350w Enermax has more quality cleaner power
than a cheep 600w

That's just BS.

Example: Enermax 350w has 26A on 12V+ that cheep 600w has 24A+ (buy
cheap buy twice)

And you don't think 24A on the +12v rail is enough? Why didn't you
mention the other rails? Like 32A on 3.3v and 50A on 5v. Is that because
it's much higher than what the 350W Enermax puts out? You don't have to
answer that, I'm sure everyone knows it is. I hope you aren't suggesting
he buy a 350W PSU, but that could be how your post is taken.

Never use cheep power supplies they most all are JUNK and may do more
harm than good.

I've used literally hundreds with no ill effects. And I've also had
expensive ones bite the dust prematurely. The oldest I can think of is a
cheap 250W I put in a Novell server in about '95. Still going today. I
can't remeber any failures in my personal systems, except when a fan died
in one and I sliipped with a metal screwdriver (trying to start the
blades moving) while it was running and blew it up.:-)

Poor power supplies are the number one cause of phantom problems.

Actually, I'd say users not setting up there system timings properly is
more common. But that's just been my experience. As for PSU's causing
problems, I''ve seen it, but not because of the brand, just people using
PSU's that weren't rated to carry the load of system. Brand name has
nothing to do with that.

Old April 7th 05, 04:48 PM
Strings

Poor suggestion buying or using a unaproved PS even to test.
Go to the shop that sold you the original PS and ask to borrow a know
working unit (we do that for clients)
I have seen generic power supplies fry and take out the CPU and Mainboard so
don't take the chance and get a AMD certified unit to use as a tester. With
a 3800 AMD CPU stick with known certified power supplies.

Next time you BMW seems not to start and you suspect gas BUY a golf cart
pretending to be powerful car and if the gas works take your BMW for
service. (laugh)

AGAIN
1-check the BIOS for settings first
2- remove all Mainboard connections and unnecessary cards then boot
3- reseat your video card and all chips
4- try another video card
5- suspect a good power supply last

Old April 7th 05, 05:05 PM
Strings

I bet with the strength you defend junk PS you use one ? and as they say
misery loves company.
I manage a shop and we would never sell generic power supplies to clients
we wish to keep, we had a 24% failure rate so when we went our to top brands
only policy now we spend almost no time diagnosing phantom problems caused
by 18$ power supplies. Your like a smoker pointing out the few people that
live long but forget the grave is full of a majority of those who did not
get so lucky. Poor power supplies are the number one cause of phantom
problems.
I recommend any good AMD certified supply over 400w Enermax, Antec, Delta,
Futron, others

Buy cheep buy twice (buy a cheep PS and you may buy even more when she
blows)
A fool and his money, (buy cheep PS and pray it does not fry your CPU)
Misery loves company ( I buy junk back me up and buy some junk as well)
Someone has to be at the bottom of quality and reliability (generic PS's)

These sites may help choosing a good reliable power supply

newsan.2005.04.07.15.51.14.822379@TAKEOUTverizon .net...