GW Power Supply Feedback

Old October 20th 04, 06:59 AM
RDBrimmer

Default GW Power Supply Feedback

I need some feedback on power supplies. Gateway has sent me 2 power
supplies 6500703, but the power supply in my system is 6500583. They say
it will work but when I talk to the tech support people that say I
really do need the 6500583. I had a lot of work done on it at the
Country Store to get is the way I want it and that is why the Country
Store said it was a good thing that I got that power supply because of
what I have configured in my system.

Operating System Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
System Model Gateway E-4600 4000762
Processor 1.90 gigahertza Main Circuit Board Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: Intel Corporation D850GB AAA49507-904
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. GB85010A.15A.0046.P13.0108201551 08/20/2001
TDK CDRW5200B [CD-ROM drive]
TDK DVDRW840G [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]
Maxtor 4A300J0 [Hard drive] (300.00 GB)
Maxtor 6Y250P0 [Hard drive] (251.00 GB)
WDC WD1200BB-50CAA1 [Hard drive] (120.03 GB)
Installed Memory
Slot 'J7J1' has 512 MB
Slot 'J7J2' has 512 MB
Slot 'J8J1' has 128 MB
Slot 'J8J2' has 128 MB

Network Drives

Printers
Hp officejet k series on DOT4_001
hp officejet k series fax on DOT4_001

Controllers Display
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(r) 82801BA Bus Master IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] RADEON 9600 SERIES [Display adapter]
RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary [Display adapter]
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n HVAW201185, February 2003)
Samsung SyncMaster [Monitor] (15.7"vis, s/n HVAW201185, February 2003)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
WinXP Promise Ultra133 TX2 (tm) IDE Controller
Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2442
Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM USB Universal Host Controller - 2444 Creative SB
Live! Series (WDM)
Creative SBLive! Gameport
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Communications Other Devices
GTW V.92 Voicemodem
1394 Net Adapter
RAS Async Adapter Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host
Controller
HID UPS Battery
American Power Conversion USB UPS
Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet K80 Scanner
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Microsoft PS/2 Mouse
General Purpose USB Hub
USB Root Hub
USB Root Hub
Old October 20th 04, 07:26 PM
Tweek

It will work fine. It is just a newer revision of the same power supply.
Your original one is Revision 2, the 6500703 is revision 4. The early ones
are notorious for failed fans. It has the same ratings (250W). It is
unlikely that they even have any of the old ones anyway. If they do, they
will definitly be used, though the other one is likely a reman anyway.

Old October 20th 04, 11:06 PM
Ben Myers

Hardly any computer parts get remnaufactured these days. A used power supply is
OK though if it has been tested and then cleaned out of all the dust and dirt
inside. That's the extent of refurbishment: test and clean... Ben Myers

Old October 21st 04, 05:15 AM
RDBrimmer

My concern was this:

That if I take the 6500703 that my front USB and Firewire will no longer
function as you read the H Auxiliary Power Connector.

Thanks,
Ron

On the 6500583 it says: The P10 power connector is a 6-pin auxiliary
power connector that also connects only to motherboards that support
Pentium IV. It plugs next to the P1 power connector to form an L-shape
on the motherboard.

H - Auxiliary Power Connector

The six-pin connector on the left is the motherboard auxiliary power
connector. This auxiliary power connector accepts a power lead from the
power supply. This auxiliary power connector supplies additional current
for the front panel USB and is required for proper operation of the
motherboard.

The motherboard has more than one power connector because federal
regulation allows a set level of current through each wire. If more
current is needed, more terminals are required, hence this auxiliary
power connector.

Note: When reseating any components or working inside the case, unplug
the power cord and wait for the green light to turn off (10 seconds
maximum). There is more available current supplied to this motherboard
than others. Failure to unplug the power cord will cause shorts and hot
spots on the motherboard and the component you were working with.

On the 6500703 is says: The P9 power connector is a 4-pin auxiliary
power connector that connects only to motherboards that support Pentium IV.

The P1 power connector that leads from the computer's power supply plugs
into the power supply connection on the motherboard. Although Pin 1 is
marked on the motherboard, match the clip on the connector to the notch
on the motherboard power supply connection. The clip is on the backside
of the connector. On the graphic, click the hyperlink for more information.

B - Auxiliary ATX Power

This is a closer view of the ATX auxiliary power on the motherboard.
This 2 × 2 power connector accepts a power lead from the power supply.
This auxiliary power connector supplies additional 12-volt service for
the processor and is required for proper operation of the motherboard.
The clip on the ATX power connector faces toward the front of the

Old October 21st 04, 07:11 PM
Tweek

If you have the Gateway mainboard that takes RDRAM, there should be three
power supply connectors on the mainboard, the main ATX, the six pin near the
ATX (basically half an AT connector), and the four pin near the cpu. If your
machine has a separate firewire connection on a PCI card, it usually has a
four pin power connector on it also. One of the smaller 'floppy' power
connectors should connect to this. Is the 6500703 missing the six pin plug
that connects near the ATX connector? According to the info on Gateway's
site, both power supplies have all the same connectors.

http://support.gateway.com/s/POWER/6...50052506.shtml

Old October 21st 04, 09:53 PM
Ben Myers

Understood. Many people think that remanufacturing involves taking apart,
replacing worn parts, cleaning, etc etc etc, which is the way it is with many
non-computer industries involving mechanical or electrical equipment. Maybe I
split a few hairs here? ... Ben

Old October 21st 04, 11:58 PM
RDBrimmer

Yes, my motherboard takes RDRAM, in looking at the connectors. From what
I was told it only had 4 pin connector and that the 703 would not make
my USB and FireWire on the front of my PC usable.

I should have another power supply tomorrow hopefully the 583. Even the
tech people at GW said that the 583 was a superior power supply and that
I should insist on that one since it is what came with my PC.

Ron

Old October 22nd 04, 03:55 PM
Tweek

Considering parts are such a commodity now, it would be a terrible waste of
money to do to computer parts what the automotive parts industry does. I
actually had a customer ask about a 'core charge' on his power supply as if
we would give him a discount for trading in his dead unit.

Old October 22nd 04, 07:15 PM
Ben Myers

Yes. Too true. Similar to the foolishness of replacing a failed fan inside a
power supply. First, it involves soldering, which I avoid. Second, one never
knows what else is burned out and failed.

How expensive are power supplies? Well, I had a dead IBM P4 system here, so I
called IBM's tech support, who said that their first step with warranty parts
was to overnight a power supply. They sent the power supply, but the
motherboard was the real problem. Next day, they overnighted a replacement mobo
with Fedex labels to return the bad board. The system worked just fine, so I
called IBM tech support to ask them about the extra power supply. I was told to
keep the power supply. Why? Because it would cost more than the power supply
was worth to IBM to ship it back... Ben Myers