Updrade PC

Old August 13th 04, 12:02 AM
~misfit~

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:25:10 +0100, Guy Smith wrote:

I am looking into upgrading my son's PC.
How do I identify which new motherboard will fit into the existing
tower please?

You won't save any money by upgrading hardware like that, you are
better off buying a whole new system. Power supplies have changed in
the last 6 years because processors require a lot more power so you
can't use the one you have.

Not only do modern systems use more power but the kicker is the CPU gets
it's power from a different rail, (12v instead of 5v) rendering some
previously great PSU's semi-obsolete as the load is weighted differently.
--
~misfit~

Old August 13th 04, 12:52 AM
kony

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 11:02:15 +1200, "~misfit~"
wrote:

You won't save any money by upgrading hardware like that, you are
better off buying a whole new system. Power supplies have changed in
the last 6 years because processors require a lot more power so you
can't use the one you have.

Not only do modern systems use more power but the kicker is the CPU gets
it's power from a different rail, (12v instead of 5v) rendering some
previously great PSU's semi-obsolete as the load is weighted differently.

.... could depend on how many HDDs are in the system.
I had two all-integrated nForce2 boards, one a Biostar running
CPU from 5V rail and another a Shuttle running CPU from 12V rail.
No other cards in system and still an Antec 300W (PP-303X or
something like that) couldn't keep 5V rail high enough on the
former board but the latter (using 12V for CPU) was fine. Both
systems only had a single HDD in them though.

I'd just happened to pick up the biostar board dirt-cheap else I
wouldn't have one... not fond of the brand and for similar $$ I'd
always choose a board based on 12V CPU power... but then again I
like my Asus A7N8X which also uses 5V for CPU, just had to mod it
a bit to keep 5V level up because the board's trace resistance
was too high for intended configuration, another limiter of 5V
power for CPUs unless the ATX connector is close enough to the
power regulation circuitry, which can be a less attractive
cable-routing necessity.
Old August 14th 04, 11:01 AM
Guy Smith

Thank you for all your advices. (advices?!)

I have decided to go for a new case and basically build a new machine. (kony
convinced me with his Gateway conversion photos)

Motherboard: http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=31GB

I have ordered a MicroStar SoA KT600+ ATX A R L 2DDR from Dabs.com £43.00.
It will take DDR and SDRAM. As a temporary measure, will my old PC100 memory
work in it (the motherboard spec says PC2100-3200 compatible)?

Processor: http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=2X4Z

I have ordered a Duron 1.8Ghz Socket A 266FSB £32.00

Case: Not yet ordered (advice please)
http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=389S

Looking at Gaming case 400W - Black. £37.00

Includes 400W silent PSU 12cm

Side window

3 internal fans

Temperature control

USB and audio

Screwless chassis

What is the advantage of a gaming case?

Old August 14th 04, 12:30 PM
kony

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:01:44 +0100, "Guy Smith"
wrote:

Motherboard: http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=31GB

I have ordered a MicroStar SoA KT600+ ATX A R L 2DDR from Dabs.com £43.00.
It will take DDR and SDRAM. As a temporary measure, will my old PC100 memory
work in it (the motherboard spec says PC2100-3200 compatible)?

Processor: http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=2X4Z

I have ordered a Duron 1.8Ghz Socket A 266FSB £32.00

That CPU will allow optimal performance while reusing your PC2100
memory, since both will run at DDR266 bus rate when using
synchronous memory bus rate (the preferred setting)..

Case: Not yet ordered (advice please)
http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=389S

Looking at Gaming case 400W - Black. £37.00

Includes 400W silent PSU 12cm

Side window

3 internal fans

Temperature control

USB and audio

Screwless chassis

What is the advantage of a gaming case?

Methink that just means it's pretty colors?

The case "sort of" looks similar to an Antec, but I've also seen
more generic cases that weren't quite the same, mostly just
copied the louvered front grillwork. Don't live on that side of
the pond so I have no knowledge of Dab's value cases. I suspect
that behind the front plastic louvers is a stamped-in metal fan
mount that may not provide much airflow for hard drive(s), but
it's just speculation, you might see if you can inspect the case.
A 1.8GHz Duron isn't very hot-running (relatively speaking) so
you might be ok with the cooling.

The power supply make was not mentioned, I would be weary of
using it, especially when whole case costs about same as Dabs
wants for Antec SL300 power supply alone. Then again, as I
already mentioned a Duron 1.8 isn't very demanding, and if paired
with a mid to lower end video card and not too many hard drives,
then power supply may be sufficient, at least capacity-wise. I
do doubt that it's really worth 400W.
Old August 14th 04, 12:46 PM
~misfit~

Guy Smith wrote:
Thank you for all your advices. (advices?!)

I have decided to go for a new case and basically build a new
machine. (kony convinced me with his Gateway conversion photos)

Motherboard: http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=31GB

I have ordered a MicroStar SoA KT600+ ATX A R L 2DDR from Dabs.com
£43.00. It will take DDR and SDRAM. As a temporary measure, will my
old PC100 memory work in it (the motherboard spec says PC2100-3200
compatible)?

Unless you're really lucky, your 'temporary measure' might have to include
underclocking the Duron CPU mentioned below to 1350Mhz as your RAM is 100Mhz
and the CPU wants a 133Mhz FSB to run at 1800Mhz. Unless the board can run
the RAM and FSB asynchronously or the RAM will do 133Mhz.

Processor: http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=2X4Z

I have ordered a Duron 1.8Ghz Socket A 266FSB £32.00

Case: Not yet ordered (advice please)
http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=389S

Looking at Gaming case 400W - Black. £37.00

Includes 400W silent PSU 12cm

Side window

3 internal fans

Temperature control

USB and audio

Screwless chassis

What is the advantage of a gaming case?

They look good?
--
~misfit~

Old August 14th 04, 02:18 PM
Guy Smith

The memory will work though?
With no dammage?
Will I have to reset the motherboards parammitters to underclock or will it
happen by default?

Old August 14th 04, 02:19 PM
Guy Smith

The memory will work though?
With no damage?
Will I have to reset the motherboards parameters to underclock or will it
happen by default?

Old August 14th 04, 02:24 PM
kony

wrote:

Motherboard: http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=31GB

I have ordered a MicroStar SoA KT600+ ATX A R L 2DDR from Dabs.com £43.00.
It will take DDR and SDRAM. As a temporary measure, will my old PC100 memory
work in it (the motherboard spec says PC2100-3200 compatible)?

Processor: http://www.dabs.com/uk/ProductView?quicklinx=2X4Z

I have ordered a Duron 1.8Ghz Socket A 266FSB £32.00

That CPU will allow optimal performance while reusing your PC2100
memory, since both will run at DDR266 bus rate when using
synchronous memory bus rate (the preferred setting)..

CORRECTION - I misread where you wrote "PC100", mistook it for
PC2100. That motherboard will not run PC100 memory in any
configuration, it simply is not supported on the MSI KT600
motherboards, it won't take DDR AND SDRAM (as-in, PC100/133)..
You need at least PC2100 memory for that board. The last
chipsets to support PC100 memory were (it's been a while but I
think these are right) Via KM266, Via KT133A, Sis 745.

Frankly, I would buy more memory before settling for thse older,
more limited tech motherboards, plus the PC100 memory would be
quire a bottleneck, even for a 1.8GHz Duron.