Moving w/ large Zalman copper cooler

Old August 3rd 04, 03:02 AM
Usenet User

Default Moving w/ large Zalman copper cooler

I cool my Athlon XP +2100 with one of those quiet Zalman coolers, the
CNPS6000-Cu (kind of looks like a flower), on my MSI K7T Turbo 2. It is
copper-only, and thus very heavy.

In the manual, Zalman claims no responsibility done to a system or CPU
when moving the PC if the cooler exceeds the max weight limit of the
socket (which mine does).

When I first installed it, I wasn't concerned, because I didn't
anticipate moving at all (can you see where this post is going?). Of
course, I will now be moving in a month, which has got me nervous: I
will be driving for about 10 hours.

Some sites recommend removing the hs when transporting. The problem with
doing that is that I've re-installed a hs to this processor two times
now. I had to redo the included one because it wasn't properly placed
the first time, and then I installed the Zalman much later. I've read
somewhere that after so many times, the dye on the CPU becomes more and
more ineffective at transferring heat.

So I guess here's my question: Should I just carry the computer on its
side, with the heat sink resting directly over the socket/motherboard,
or should I remove it and re-install it one more time. Or better yet, is
there any other advice you could give me?
--
This space for rent
Old August 3rd 04, 03:24 AM
Chris Stolworthy

"Usenet User" wrote in message
[...]

Well you did state the heatsink exceeds the max weight for the socket...so I
would lay it on its side if your that worried about reinstalling a HS on it.
Just make sure you don't stack anything very heavy on the cases side, those
side panels are exactly super sturdy if you know what I mean. As far as the
die becoming less efficient at transferring heat...I have never heard it but
it is possible I guess. I am not to worried about it personally I have
removed and installed a new/used heatsink on my P4 atleast a dozen times
that I can recall right off hand.

HTH
-Chris

Old August 3rd 04, 03:59 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 20:02:20 -0600, Usenet User wrote:

[...]

There is no reason that you can't remove the heatsink and reinstall it.
Before you reattach the heatsink clean off the old headsink compound
from both the heatsink and the CPU with a good solvent. Then put on fresh
heatsink compound and reattach the heatsink.

Old August 3rd 04, 04:03 AM
kony

wrote:

[...]

I"m not quite sure what you mean by "dye on the CPU becomes more
and more ineffective at transferring heat". The primary problem
with removing and reinstalling a heatsink multiple times is if
there is wear on the socket lugs. However, this same wear is
also a potential problem if transporting system with heatsink
still attached.

Frankly, if heatsink lugs are so worn though that it would cause
heatsink to fall off, you ought to not use the motherboard any
more... otherwise it would be safest to uninstall heatsink and
reinstall again at destination. If you find install/uninstalling
it risky then perhaps a few layers of masking tape or a piece of
plastic next to socket lugs will help to protect motherboard from
tool slips... take your time and use the right (sized) tool.

Another potential issue is if the CPU has caused an imprint or
scrape marks on bottom of heatsink. If heatsink started out
somewhat rough on the bottom this may not be so significant, but
the more polished and near-perfect the surface is, the more you
may notice scrapes from CPU core. It can help to very lightly
relap heatsink or just use a bit of fine metal polish. If
heatsink base is good and thermal compound reapplied, within a
few days of setting up and being thinned by heatsink clip
pressure, the cooling effectiveness should be same as previously,
or even better if original application was silicone-based or
original retail thermal interface pad.

Only real reason to avoid removing heatsink is if you fear
gouging the motherboard while doing so, but if you use protective
measures like the masking tape or plastic I mentioned (or invent
your own method) that risk is reduced.
Old August 3rd 04, 08:15 AM
Paul Murphy

Whats wrong with sitting the PC on a pillow in the cars boot (trunk for
those in the US)? Motherboards aren't that weak as to break when you go over
the first bump (or even subsequent ones) - its really just that if you drop
your PC case, this may be one of the first areas to fail along with the case
and HDD.

Paul

Old August 3rd 04, 05:23 PM
OCZ Guy

TAKE THE DAMMM THING OFF DUMBARSE

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 08:15:23 +0100, "Paul Murphy"
wrote:

[...]

HELLO NURSE.
Old August 4th 04, 05:22 AM
Clint

Funny you mention that. I just moved this last weekend, and I forgot to
take off my CNPS7000 Cu HS. Never even crossed my mind. And then the one
thing the movers dropped was the filing cabinet that had the computer inside
it (it's built into a drawer). Crossing my fingers, toes, and any other
appendages that could cross, I fired it up, and I'm typing on it even as we
speak! The only precaution I did take was to remove the HDD's, and put
them in a separate safe box. Oh, and because of the way the computer is
built right now, it's more of a desktop design (i.e. horizontal). I imagine
that is what saved the HS from snapping off.

Clint

Old August 4th 04, 06:28 AM
William

I would suggest giving it some trial runs in the vehicle it will be in
with the driver that will be in control of the vehicle. You will soon
know if it will survive the trip.
Old August 4th 04, 09:48 PM
Paul Murphy

Shouldn't that be damn instead of dammm (if you feel so strongly about it).
I say why make more work for yourself than needed when a simple bit of
cushioning should be adequate. I presume your response is intended for the
OP (even though its for my post) because I'm certainly not taking anything
off - no matter what names are used - and I'm not touching the OPs computer
either......

Paul

Old August 5th 04, 10:54 AM
Jan

"Usenet User" schreef in bericht
[...]

I have the CNPS7000A-Cu and moved it several times by car without any
problems. Be sure though to put the case on its side with the CPU and
heatsink facing upwards. When you take the normal precautions while moving,
there should not be any problem.

Jan

Compusa good deal on some maddog accessories like Hard Disk cooler [email protected] General 0 June 15th 04 10:21 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
GF4 and Zalman cooler Splontoon General 4 July 8th 03 07:16 PM