Audio format

Old April 16th 04, 11:00 PM
George M

Default Audio format

What is the audio format that has the smallest file size? I'd like to burn
these to CD and also have them on my hard drive.

Old April 17th 04, 12:53 AM

mp3 is significantly smaller than wav format and will probably meet
your needs well.

Old April 17th 04, 02:54 AM
Laurence Payne

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:00:53 -0400, "George M"
wrote:

What is the audio format that has the smallest file size? I'd like to burn
these to CD and also have them on my hard drive.

MP3 will go just about as small as you like - but the quality gets
progressively more lousy as size decreases!

Note that an audio CD - playable in a hi-fi player - is always 44.1KHz
wav quality. You can't cram more time onto this kind of disk.
Old April 17th 04, 07:37 AM
Theo

Laurence Payne wrote in
:

Note that an audio CD - playable in a hi-fi player - is always 44.1KHz
wav quality. You can't cram more time onto this kind of disk.

You can if you push really really hard :P

j/k
Old April 17th 04, 01:56 PM
Laurence Payne

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:37:04 -0000, Theo wrote:

Note that an audio CD - playable in a hi-fi player - is always 44.1KHz
wav quality. You can't cram more time onto this kind of disk.

You can if you push really really hard :P

You can overburn and pack a few more Kb onto the disk. But you can't
do anything about the seconds-of-music per Kb ratio.
Old April 17th 04, 04:04 PM
normanstrong

"George M" wrote in message
What is the audio format that has the smallest file size? I'd like

to burn
these to CD and also have them on my hard drive.

With 73 year old ears, 64kb/s is adequate, and it will allow you to
record 2 minutes/megabyte. That's about 34 hours/gigabyte. I have
41GB worth of such files, covering my entire CD collection on my 80GB
hard drive.

With younger ears I'd recommend 128kb/s, which would take up twice the
space, but would sound better on orchestral music.

Norm Strong

pc problems after g card upgrade + sp2 ben reed Homebuilt PC's 9 November 30th 04 02:04 AM
windows XP format hdd Christo General 2 November 19th 04 08:48 PM
My system seems to "recover" with great frequency Louise Homebuilt PC's 3 May 17th 04 06:02 AM
Has anyone burnt an 80-min CD-R on a 7200i / CDD3610 under Linux? Paul Cdr 0 February 22nd 04 10:00 PM
MP3s to CD: does "on-the-fly" burning give same audio quality as doing it in 2 steps?!.. Anonymous Joe Cdr 15 October 27th 03 07:55 AM