Toshiba Tecra M1 CMOS battery life

Old July 22nd 04, 05:57 PM

Default Toshiba Tecra M1 CMOS battery life

(Grant) wrote:

Hello Everyone,

We have many Toshiba Tecra M1 laptops here that were bought at the
same time for emergency purposes. These laptops have not been turned
on for between 4 and possibly 8 months. In the process of collecting
them to be updated with the latest patches etc, I had at least 3 of
these laptops that would give me a message that the battery needed
charging and I had to reset the date and time on each one. When
consulting with the technical experts from the company we purchased
these laptops from (I have not contacted Toshiba directly), I was told
that Tecra's need to be charged for at least 8 hours once a month. Has
anyone else had this problem or, know if this statement is correct. I
would have thought the CMOS battery life would be considerably longer?

Thanks

Grant

I have a 6110 which has the same problem. If I leave it for a month or more
the CMOS battery (and the main battery) run flat and you have to reset the
date and time. It has done this from new.

The 2 Thinkpads I have do not have any problems at all even when left for
6-12 months without being used. THe main batteries do discharge as is
inevitable given the chemical make up but they will still have a few % in
after 12 months and the CMOs battery is fine. One thinkpad is the same age
as the Toshiba (A31) and the other is 4 years older (600E)

Toshiba seem to have failed to make an off switch that works properly.

Andy

computer won't power up - BIOS problem? Yup General 16 January 7th 05 05:41 AM
cmos battery HankG General 9 December 27th 04 03:17 AM
cmos battery (continued) philo General 3 May 14th 04 01:13 AM
CMOS Battery Retainer MH General 2 January 11th 04 11:38 PM
upgrade cyrix - voltage for cmos battery - all same? Bob Cooper Homebuilt PC's 2 December 13th 03 02:43 PM