Help - PC runs slow

Old October 5th 03, 09:09 PM
JAD

spybot S&D and adaware and rid yourself of things messafee misses or isnt designed to find.

"Frederick Claus" wrote in message ...
I have a PC that is about 3 years old. It is an HP with a 500mhz processor,
and a 40 gig hard drive. My wife and I download a lot of software from the
web. When we find we don't like it, we uninstall and delete it. I run Window
Washer, and McAfee Quick Clean regularly. Only have Systray, and McAfee
Viruscan running. I also run disk cleanup and defrag regularly.

I do notice from time to time my PC runs very slow, sometimes freezes and
gives me an unfixable error (have to shut down and restart).

Is my slow processor the problem, or do I have something clogging up my PC?
Anything else I can do?

Frederick

--
Shop from the comfort of your own home
E-mail: Put 'Avon' in subject line

Old October 5th 03, 10:38 PM
Overlord

Don't have experience with Window Washer or Quick Clean.
But if Adaware doesn't find anything....
First download Startup.cpl and make sure nothing is running in the
background or trying to load at each boot.
Delete M$ LOADQM.exe which is their personal spyware that's always
trying to phone home with your system specs.
Disable Indexing which looks occasionally to see where all your files
are to make searches run faster and supposedly only runs when there is
nothing else going on but in reality can fire up at the most damned
inconvienient times.
Finally download M$ Regclean v4.1 which still does a good job cutting
old deleted crap from your registry.
Finally I trust you have enough ram that whatever you are doing isn't
constantly accessing a pagefile on the hard drive.

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 16:13:52 -0700, "Frederick Claus"
wrote:

Ok forgot to mention I do run adaware every day.

--
Shop from the comfort of your own home
E-mail: Put 'Avon' in subject line
"JAD" wrote in message
link.net...
[...]

~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
]

~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.
Old October 5th 03, 10:56 PM
Strontium

Sounds like a software issue...what OS? Also, ditch Ad Aware and get Spybot
Search & Destroy. It catches a lot of crap that Ad Aware cannot.

-
Frederick Claus stood up at show-n-tell, in
, and said:

[...]

"If you get tired, of satellite flyers. And, fame, has let you down.
Under the wire. And, over the Moon, I'm around... When you gonna grow
up?" - Angie Aparo

Old October 6th 03, 03:32 AM
JAD

you did a clean install or upgraded OVEr 98. if you did the later i suggest you backup important data and do a clean install

"Frederick Claus" wrote in message ...
I just upgraded from Win98 to Windows ME.

Old October 6th 03, 05:19 AM
Strontium

Never mind. You are top-posting (date/time-wise). Neglect my existence. I
am neglecting yours.

PS - upgrade is a joke. Do a fresh install. Then, fix your clock. Bye,
plonk, etc...

-

Old October 6th 03, 11:57 AM
Doktor Schadenfreude

"JAD" astounded us with:
k.net:

you did a clean install or upgraded OVEr 98. if you did the later i
suggest you backup important data and do a clean install

Agreed, Win Me is a dog as an upgrade. Clean install, it's good, Win2K and XP
are better though.

--
Der Artzt ist in...
Geld zuerst
Old October 6th 03, 09:09 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:54:58 -0700, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
invention that lemmings jump off cliffs "Frederick Claus"
wrote :

I have a PC that is about 3 years old. It is an HP with a 500mhz processor,
and a 40 gig hard drive. My wife and I download a lot of software from the
web. When we find we don't like it, we uninstall and delete it. I run Window
Washer, and McAfee Quick Clean regularly. Only have Systray, and McAfee
Viruscan running. I also run disk cleanup and defrag regularly.

I do notice from time to time my PC runs very slow, sometimes freezes and
gives me an unfixable error (have to shut down and restart).

Is my slow processor the problem, or do I have something clogging up my PC?
Anything else I can do?

Frederick

Have a good clean up,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/house.html
and trim your start up group of unneeded programs,

http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/startup.html
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup...artup_full.htm

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply

Slow Compaq Lil' Abner General 9 May 18th 04 12:56 AM
Slow network Michael Culley General 0 May 9th 04 02:17 PM
My new AMD64 3200+ runs cooler than my AMD 2600+ Wayne @ W. AMD x86-64 Processors 10 May 7th 04 12:31 AM
Alert: Microsoft runs programs, you don't need, on your mashine! Mary Jane General 6 February 18th 04 10:40 PM
Slow hard drive in windows XP Wayne Morgan General 1 January 25th 04 09:11 PM