What To Do With a Working Compaq 2266

Old December 13th 06, 09:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

Default What To Do With a Working Compaq 2266

I have an old Compaq 2266, and am trying to find a use for
it...firewall, router, ??
I don't know what current OS it will support, and the RAM is limited to
128Mb (I tried more..it won't work. There are reports on this issue on
the net.) IDE disk is 4Gb.

So what is this thing good for, except maybe to play solitair on ? Any
ideas.....

Old December 14th 06, 01:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

If you have high speed internet access. The 2266 has an open PCI slot. Put a
$20 NIC in it and surf the net. It shipped with Windows 98.

HH
ups.com...

Old December 20th 06, 02:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Eric

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an old Compaq 2266, and am trying to find a use for
it...firewall, router, ??
I don't know what current OS it will support, and the RAM is limited to
128Mb (I tried more..it won't work. There are reports on this issue on
the net.) IDE disk is 4Gb.

So what is this thing good for, except maybe to play solitair on ? Any
ideas.....

Hi,

I think you pretty much answered your own question.. Turning it into some
sort of headless device is probably the most efficient use you will get out
of that thing. If you are looking for another device idea, I have an old
Deskpro that I use as an email gateway. It fetchmails all my POP3 emails,
procmails them, runs sendmail, has a web interface, ect. Works well and is
convienent.

GNU/Linux or FreeBSD will work fine on that boat anchor..

Old December 20th 06, 02:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Eric

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an old Compaq 2266, and am trying to find a use for
it...firewall, router, ??
I don't know what current OS it will support, and the RAM is limited to
128Mb (I tried more..it won't work. There are reports on this issue on
the net.) IDE disk is 4Gb.

So what is this thing good for, except maybe to play solitair on ? Any
ideas.....

Hi,

I think you pretty much answered your own question.. Turning it into some
sort of headless device is probably the most efficient use you will get out
of that thing. If you are looking for another device idea, I have an old
Deskpro that I use as an email gateway. It fetchmails all my POP3 emails,
procmails them, runs sendmail, httpd, has a web interface, ect. Works well

Old December 22nd 06, 09:57 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
[email protected]

if youre interested in selling the old presario 2266 I would like to
purchase it.

I used to have one with the Cyrix CPU as a kid, unfortunately I got
rid of it some years ago. I would like to get one just to remind me
of it

Let me know.
Posted with NewsLeecher v3.0 Final
* Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
* http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 February 3rd 05 01:27 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 1 January 13th 05 10:03 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 September 23rd 04 12:21 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM