D 805 Overclocking to 4 Ghz?

Old May 30th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Default D 805 Overclocking to 4 Ghz?

Phil, you seem to know a whole lot, almost like you know exactly how
to do this, but are trying to get the users to learn rather than just
tell them how to do it.

I know read more buy less works, however, learning from others on one
project you'll do every 4 years its nicer to just be told what to do
than have to try to learn it every 4 years.

I've just started this project, and so far couldn't test because the
PSU in the case I bought is 4pins less than needed (for that stupid
extra power connector on intel boards), its like PSU manu's don't
take in to consideration intel freaking needing so many connections
to their mobos.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll need help at some point in time, so everyone
keep checking back!

Old May 30th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Okay, I have a question before starting this project. The question is
what memory is needed Mhz wise for this project.

I'm reading on the memory page of the THW guide and they don't make it
clear.

They say the following, "The Pentium D 805 works with a
front-side-bus clock rate of 133 MHz (533 QDR). Thus, the design of
the chipset dictates a maximum memory clock speed of DDR2-533. But
overclocking the front side bus also raised memory clock rates; the
actual memory clock rate that results from increasing the FSB clock
rate may be calculated using a memory multiplier value" ...
"We assume a multiplier of 4.0 is set, which raises memory clock
rates for DDR2-533 for FSB clock rates of 133 MHz to the value
consistent with DDR2-667, when the FSB clock is raised to 166 MHz.
After that, as you increase the FSB clock stepwise up to 200 MHz,
you'll also increase the memory speed up to DDR2-800. If you continue
to increase FSB clock rates, you'll also set memory clock rates
significantly higher as well."

So, the question is, am I suppose to use 533mhz memory and just hope
it overclocks well, or use a 800mhz memory because its already set to
go at the correct speeds of the overclocked Motherboard?

Thanks.

Old May 30th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Thanks for the tips! I can tell Phil is a big help, it does seem like
he's the all knowing computer god of this forum.

Anyway, I posted a question about what memory speed to use, does
anyone have suggestions on that? Use a 533 mem speed and oc it w/the
mb? or get memory that already works at the speed it will be running
at after the oc? (like 800mhz memory)

thanks!

GLoBaLReBeLwrote:

Phil has helpe3d me out more then anyone here could. He has answered
every question perfectly, and with the right tone! You can always
count on this guy being able/willing to help out if he can. But he
wants you to learn rather then be told. But, let me help you out here
I would suggest getting a DUALRAIL 500-600W PSU that is ATX12V

2.2/2.03 capable. It may not be that big of a deal, but let me tell
you that I wouldn't buy anything else now that I'ver gone through
this.
Also, one last question for anyone that might be able to help me. I

am trying to decide on which speed to go with on a daily basis. And
which speed to go with when I'm trying to play against my friend in
games
Basically, I can OC my 805D to 3.66 ghz with a Vcore of 1.350 with

no stability problems at all. And, my temp readings now are pretty
good. Under idle its at about 46-48C and under full load its at about
63C. Now, when i bump the FSB to 190 i get 3.8 Ghz but I have to also
bump the Vcore to around 1.478 or so to get it to remain stable. The
noyl problem is, under FULL load i am hitting 66C here and there.
And, I do get throttleing but not a constant throttle.
I just wanted to know what the diff in life span would be if I were

to leave it at 3.8 Ghz for it entire lifespan? I mean, the idling
temp at 3.8ghz is 49C. So, what do you guys think?
Oh, by the way, did 3Dmark06 benchmark at 2.66 Ghz and got 1556,

then at 3.6Ghz and got 4668. (BIG *** DIFFERENCE I THINK)

(basically you phil) Here's my questions. . . :
Electrox3dwrote:

Phil, you seem to know a whole lot, almost like you know exactly how
to do this, but are trying to get the users to learn rather than just
tell them how to do it.

I know read more buy less works, however, learning from others on

one project you'll do every 4 years its nicer to just be told what to
do than have to try to learn it every 4 years.

I've just started this project, and so far couldn't test because the

PSU in the case I bought is 4pins less than needed (for that stupid
extra power connector on intel boards), its like PSU manu's don't
take in to consideration intel freaking needing so many connections
to their mobos.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll need help at some point in time, so everyone

keep checking back![/quote:24b0bb9789]

Old May 30th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

at 3.6Ghz and got 4668. (BIG ****ING DIFFERENCE I THINK)

Old May 31st 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

So no one checks this anymore huh? Doesn't anyone do this project?

Ok, so I have mine all set up, and I have the Zalman cooler on top
which got THW up to 3.8GHz, but I can only overclock to 3.6GHz with
air cooling... any higher and windows shuts off while booting.

Also, I'm using an IDE 400GB HDD for booting and this system takes
FOREVER to boot a clean install of Windows (little over a minute).
Also, while in Windows, the mouse skipps when the HDD is thinking. My
mouse is the G5 laser Logitech USB mouse. Why would these things cause
problems with each other?

I have DDR533 MHz memory, should I try DDR 800MHz?

Anyone ever hear or have issues with this IDE on this board?

Old June 1st 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Hey, just wanted to jump in here and bring this back to life.
I am having a few problems with my setup phil, and I'm kinda worried.
I have the following . .
Pentium D 805 OC @3.6 Ghz CoreV at 1.350 (idle :45C Full:62-64C)
Asus P5WD2 Premium
2X512 OCZ DDR2-800 (at 720 mhz with overclock over 805)
Seagate Sata 7200 rpm 160 gb HD
eVGA Geforce 7900 GT OC KO 256 MB DDR3 (Idle:53-56 Games:65-75C)
Windows XP pro SP2

Here's my problem. I have been playing all the new games (F.E.A.R,
COD2, TimeShift,Oblivion,etc) and I'm noticing that I'm not getting
the FPS that i should be!!! Its pretty damn choppy in Timeshift at
1440x900 with everything on and FSAA at 2x! I can't believe that! So,
the first thing I think of is that the CPU is being maxed out and that
its probably being throttled down for heat issues. So, I turn on data
logging in rightmark cpu clock, and when i check it, it shows only
about a 40% CPU ultilization!!! it wasn't even using the full
potential!! So, I then goto my graphics card, and its sitting at a
cool 63C! So, I'm STUMPED!!!! I can't figure out what the hell is
causing this! Can anyone out there (phil) help me?

Here's what i think is the problem . . . I think my ram is causing
latency issues! It is 800 mhz running at 720 mhz. And in the Bios I
have it set to the stock 5-5-5-10-4 setting.(well the 4 is just left
alone from what i have been reading) So, I am wondering if running
the ram at a slower speed then its native speed but running its
timings at its native timings could be causing this?

Hopefully this sheds some light on your question too Electrox3d.

Old June 1st 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Please do answer my Question phil . .
Phil Weldonwrote:

'GLoBaLRebel' wrote:
| Does anyone here know of a program that will read my temps on the

comp
| accuratly? Asus p5wd2 Premium
_____

Read the manual.

And by the way, using an ATX12V ver. 2.01 with your motherboard is

ok.
After all, the P5WD2 Premium was designed before the ATX12V ver. 2.2

specification and there is essentially no difference between the

ATX12V ver.
2.01 and ATX12V ver. 2.2.

Read more, buy less.

Phil Weldon

. ..

Old June 1st 06, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

'GLoBaLReBeL' wrote:
| Please do answer my Question phil . .
_____

WHICH question?

You have a good stable (or so you say) overclock, but try dialing back to
stock speed and check for the symptoms you report.
Then raise the CPU speed just 50 or 100 MHz at a time, and play the same
games (just leave the core voltage the same.)
Overclocking requires patience and a long attention span.

Just in case I can guess the question, the answers are
a. your motherboard likely had a temperature monitoring program on the
CD
b. Google can help you find an alternative to MotherBoard Monitor
c. changing the memory timing will have a very small effect on most
applications, certainly less than 10%
e. I don't play first person shooter games and have no advice at all to
give you on your low FPS; plus you would have to give a lot more details of
what you see on the screen

As for 'taking forever' to boot, there are four phases that occur before
your Windows operating system is good to go.
First, on power up, the program in the system BIOS can do a simple
hardware check and transfer control to the boot sector of the system boot
partition.
Second, after transfer to the boot sector, the Windows operating system
is loaded.
Third, network connections are examined and established.
Fourth, your preferences are loaded.

You can set the 'quick boot' option in the BIOS; that will shave perhaps ten
to fifteen seconds.
Installing only the network protocols that are necessary can reduce the time
for Windows to be 'good to go'.
Reducing the number of programs and services that are loaded and started
will shave the load time even more.

As for your 'stuttering' game frames,
you may not have the CPU and GPU power to run at the resolutions you
choose
your overclock may not be stable
you may have services and programs running that are interfering
something may be wrong with your operating system installation.

As for your mouse skipping while the hard drive is transferring data, you
may have the hard drive set up wrong, your overclock may be unstable, the
drive may be failing, the controller may be failing. Likely the problem is
the setup, and not any kind of failure.

And please, please put your actual questions in your posts, as well as
succinct and pertinent information. If responders have to search through
all of your posts to answer a question, most will not reply.

Phil Weldon

"GLoBaLReBeL" wrote in message
m...
| Please do answer my Question phil . .
| Phil Weldonwrote:
| 'GLoBaLRebel' wrote:
| | Does anyone here know of a program that will read my temps on the
| comp
| | accuratly? Asus p5wd2 Premium
| _____
|
| Read the manual.
|
| And by the way, using an ATX12V ver. 2.01 with your motherboard is
| ok.
| After all, the P5WD2 Premium was designed before the ATX12V ver. 2.2
|
| specification and there is essentially no difference between the
| ATX12V ver.
| 2.01 and ATX12V ver. 2.2.
|
| Read more, buy less.
|
| Phil Weldon
|
| "GLoBaLReBeL" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Does anyone here know of a program that will read my temps on the
| comp
| | accuratly? Asus p5wd2 Premium
| |

Old June 2nd 06, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Badda-bing Badda-boom! Thanks Phil.

I replaced the 400GB IDE drive that was causing stuttering with the
mouse with a 80GB raptor WD 10,000 rmp drive and everything is full
speed now (now that its on SATA as well).

For some reason, I can't get an overclock of anything higher than
3.6GHz to be stable. For instance, 3.65GHz restarts after some time
but 3.6GHz stays strong. I AM upping the CPU core voltage but I'll up
it but it won't stay stable, so I'll up it some more, then it wont
boot. So its like it's impossible to get the right voltage to work!

Anyone have any ideas? Did ANYONE get this stable over 3.6GHz besides
TomsHardware?

Old June 2nd 06, 04:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

I myself am experiancing the same problems. I really do believe that
it is the heat from the core that is causing this. I can keep a
steady 3.60 Ghz at stock Vcore settings all day long at 100% 2 cpu
ultilization. And, my temps won't go above 62-64C! But, If i try to
do 3.8Ghz I notice major throtteling at full load, and the
performance drop when thorttoling is soo servere, that i will live
with 3.6 Ghz and 720 Mhz ram. I am noticing that my graphics card
does get pretty damn hot when playing games (around 70-74C) so maybe
I need to bite the bullet and buy a water cooling system. I'm also
looking to sell my mobo and Zalman CPU cooler. Any takers?