D 805 Overclocking to 4 Ghz?

Old May 24th 06, 12:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Default D 805 Overclocking to 4 Ghz?

'GLoBaLReBeL' wrote, in part:
| I was wondering though phil, when i bought the ram it said its timings
| were 5-5-5-10 and i went to change the timing settings myself in
| the bios and there were 5 points like 5-5-5-10-4 and I don't know what
| to set the last one at? My ram is OCZ Dual channel 512's DDR2-800, and
| one final question. Since I am overclocking the system, should i
| change the timing settings on the ram, and should i also lock the mzh
| to 33.3 like you were saying earlier?
_____

Make sure you have the PCI bus speed locked to 33 MHz.
As for the long string of numbers for the memory timings; if you overclock
the memory (as you may do when raising the FrontSide Bus speed to overclock)
the memory timings should be left at default, and may even need to be
increased (relaxed, higher numbers) to keep the system stable. Increasing
the memory timings settings will lower the performance of the memory, but
the increase in clock speed will improve memory performance more than the
increased memory timings will decrease performance.

Remember, change only one thing at a time, and keep records. Start off with
memory timings at default. Only AFTER you get the highest possible
overclock that is stable default memory timings should you make changes in
memory timing. Larger numbers for memory timing should increase the highest
clock speed at which the memory will operate. But you may not need to use
anything but the default timing. And don't even THINK about changing the
memory timing settings until after a few months of operation.

Phil Weldon

Old May 24th 06, 06:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Re-read the following link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/...es/page21.html

HINT: using Intel Heatsink/Fan

On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:01:45 GMT, "dawg" don't
wrote:

Did you use the CMOS jumper to return your mobo settings back to default?

"GLoBaLReBeL" wrote in message
om...
So, just got back from Fry's, and had a friend test all the components
of the computer. He tested the video card(working), the ram(working),
the CPU (Working), but i never got to test the mobo because i
thought, well, if the all the components that attach to the mobo are
working, then there's nothing else left then the Power Supply, and
the Mobo. And, the Power Supply is a 600W coolmaster, so I don't
think that the power supply is my problem! I guess I have fried the
mobo in some way??!?!?!?! The green light still lights up, so i can't
figure it out! If anyone can please get back to me with an idea, that
would be great. I've cleared the RTC (like 7 times already by
unplugging the power, pulling the tiny battery, and then switching
the jumpers for 20 seconds then go back in reverse.) Still, i get
nothing. I think the only logical reason is the motherboard must be
shot . . . any takers?
I also just tried swapping out the new PS with the old one, and it did
the same thing it was doing before. With the old Power Supply, the
computer doesn't even run. With the new PS it runs but no beep is
heard, and no screen is brought up. So, after much reading, and much
stress; I have come to the conclusion that the problem is a bad mobo
after a electrical shock. I'm going to try one last thing, and that
is to replace the cmos battery with a new one. Maybe it got messed up
when the power shock happened. Anyway, your insight is much
appriciated phil. I have read, and re-read the overclocking guide you
posted. If you can, please help me out one last time Your comments
are looked forward to.

(sorry, bout the double post, but you said i should reply to your
message. Only problem is i can only Quote it. So . . here.
Phil Weldonwrote:

'GLoBaLReBeL' wrote, in part:
| Just checked all connections, and pins and so forth. Nothing was
| lose, all hte pins are fine(I was always gentle with the cpu, and
| putting it into the holder.)
| Unfortunatly, i have no other friends with the same setup, so I'm
| kinda scr**ed on testing the cpu out. The original power supply

is
| what caused the problem in the first place (I THINK). After the
| crash, the power supply would only make the lights in the comp

turn
| on, then just fade away.
_____

Try your CPU in ANY compatible, working system; it need not be an

identical
system.
Try a known good, compatible CPU in your present system.

Don't make assumptions about the cause of the problem, especially

about the
power supply. As of now, you don't even know that either one is

working
correctly.

Without some way of checking the three components separately you are

not
going to make progress in diagnosis (power supply/CPU/{rest of the

system;
mainly the motherboard}).

DO NOT make assumptions based on too little knowledge and

experience. I
can't see your system, so you are the one who will have to diagnosis

it, or
at least gather the information. Somehow you must check the CPU,

power
supply, and rest of the system to detect the fault.

Or, as a final resort, buy a second Intel 805 D and try it with your

system
at STOCK voltage and speed. Once you sort out the getting operation

at
STOCK voltage and speed, then try the original 805 D again. Then

try the
original power supply again. Do things slowly, carefully, one step

at a
time, writing down each change you make. All the things you did not

do the
first time around.

Read my post on overclocking in reply to 'Chalky'.

Also, any posts in a thread should be in reply to the correct

message; your
reply should be to my message, not to the original post.

Good luck. It may be that you have lost a CPU, but gained valuable

knowledge. If you don't make mistakes, you likely aren't learning

much.

Phil Weldon

"GLoBaLReBeL" wrote in message
. ..
| Phil,
| Just checked all connections, and pins and so forth. Nothing was
| lose, all hte pins are fine(I was always gentle with the cpu, and
| putting it into the holder.)
| Unfortunatly, i have no other friends with the same setup, so I'm
| kinda scr**ed on testing the cpu out. The original power supply

is
| what caused the problem in the first place (I THINK). After the
| crash, the power supply would only make the lights in the comp

turn
| on, then just fade away. And when i put the 600W in, it ran

exactly
| the same as it did when it was running. There is just no boot

screen
| or BEEP! The screen doesn't even turn on.) I have read up a lot

more
| on overclocking, and will be much safer next time, I just want to

make
| sure that there isn't something I'm missing. Because everyone has

told
| me that the cpu has an auto off feature, and what i describe

wouldn't
| fry the cpu. But, when i switched out the 450 PS for the new
| coolmaster 600W, everything started up and stayed started. Its

just
| there was no boot screen or anything.
| Could you think of any other reason this might be happening?
|
| Side Note : When i got fruystrated i reset the RCT by

instructions,
| and took the heatsink off the cpu and started the comp up. Within
| seconds the computer shut down. Then put the heatsink back on,

and
| reset the RCT and turned on the comp, and this time it just

stayed
| on, but no boot screen or anything. So if it can detect the heat

and
| so forth, wouldn't that mean the cpu is still good? Thanx for

your

Old May 24th 06, 06:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Re-read the following link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/...es/page21.html

HINT: using Intel Heatsink/Fan

On Tue, 23 May 2006 22:34:56 GMT, lid (GLoBaLReBeL) wrote:

Just an update . . . Went out and bought a new Asus P5wd2-E Premium
Mobo, and tried starting it up . . only to find out it does the same
****ing THING!!! The only thing left now is the power supply, and IT
BETTER BE THE ****ING PROBLEM!!!! Going down to fry's to exchange for
a new one.

Old May 24th 06, 06:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Re-read the following link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/...es/page21.html

HINT: using Intel Heatsink/Fan

On Tue, 23 May 2006 22:53:44 GMT, "Phil Weldon"
wrote:

'GLoBaLReBeL' wrote, in part:
| Just an update . . . Went out and bought a new Asus P5wd2-E Premium
| Mobo, and tried starting it up . . only to find out it does the same
| ****ing THING!!! The only thing left now is the power supply, and IT
| BETTER BE THE ****ING PROBLEM!!!! Going down to fry's to exchange for
| a new one.
_____

Remember what I posted?
"So take a deep breath and relax. Make the necessary checks before
purchasing anything.

Do NOT assume that your original power supply was deficient.
Do NOT assume that the problem is with your motherboard, and do NOT assume
it is with either or both power supplies."

Old May 24th 06, 06:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Re-read the following link.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/...es/page21.html

HINT: using Intel Heatsink/Fan

Old May 24th 06, 06:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

My overclocked D 805 (3.32GHz/166MHz) runs at 45c when doing web browsing.
Stock Intel Heatsink/Fan.

wrote:

Did you use the CMOS jumper to return your mobo settings back to default?

. com...

_____

Old May 24th 06, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

That's weird!!! Why does my 2.66 sit at 45C when web browsing. And if
i overclock to 3.33 ghz, then I get around 51C web browsing. I am
even using teh Zalman cooler in the TomsHardware. I even used Arctic
5!!! It says it needs like 100 or 200 running hours or something for
it to really start working, but I would think that it would be much
lower then with the stock fan! I don't know. . .

ALSO!!! I found out that it was actually the Power Supply I bought. It
was a Version 2.01 when I need the Version 2.2. Thanx for giving me
that link Phil!!! But, u didn't answer one question of mine. When I
am setting the timing 5-5-5-10 what do i do with the LAST NUMBER?
the 5-5-5-10-(4) where 4 is the last one. Just wondering. . .

_____

> [...]

| fry the cpu. But, when i switched out the 450 PS for the new
| coolmaster 600W, everything started up and stayed started. Its
just
| there was no boot screen or anything.
| Could you think of any other reason this might be happening?
|
| Side Note : When i got fruystrated i reset the RCT by
instructions,
| and took the heatsink off the cpu and started the comp up. Within
| seconds the computer shut down. Then put the heatsink back on,
and
| reset the RCT and turned on the comp, and this time it just
stayed
| on, but no boot screen or anything. So if it can detect the heat
and
| so forth, wouldn't that mean the cpu is still good? Thanx for
your
| help ahead of time, this is very disconcerning.

[/quote:8838d0994d]

Old May 24th 06, 09:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

And guess what . . . My Motherboard isn't supported in the support
list for the MotherBoard Monitor 5. Is there anyway to get it to
work?

Old May 25th 06, 02:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Does anyone here know of a program that will read my temps on the comp
accuratly? Asus p5wd2 Premium

Old May 25th 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

'GLoBaLRebel' wrote:
| Does anyone here know of a program that will read my temps on the comp
| accuratly? Asus p5wd2 Premium
_____

Read the manual.

And by the way, using an ATX12V ver. 2.01 with your motherboard is ok.
After all, the P5WD2 Premium was designed before the ATX12V ver. 2.2
specification and there is essentially no difference between the ATX12V ver.
2.01 and ATX12V ver. 2.2.

Read more, buy less.