Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

Old February 20th 06, 06:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:32:05 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
: On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:02:19 +1100, "Rod Speed"
: wrote:
:
: Dan_Musicant wrote:
: On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:07:53 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
: wrote:
:
: In article ,
: Dan_Musicant writes
:
: I have another HD in the box that's 200 GB and it has one logical
: drive only, and is formatted NTFS. That's obviously not the
: problem. Also, the drive was working fine for 1.5 years and I made
: no changes.
:
: Read what Eric wrote. The drive doesn't get trashed _until_ data
: has been written past the 137GB boundary, so the drive can appear
: to be working well for quite some time, until you fill the disk up
: enough.
:
: The logical
: drives simply disappeared from it, evidently data corruption.
:
: Which is exactly what writing past 137GB does. The write "wraps
: around" to cylinder 0. What's on cylinder 0? The boot sector and
: partition tables - bye bye logical drives.
:
: See http://www.48bitlba.com/
:
: Thanks. I'm checking out the site.
:
: One thing I didn't mention and it could well have a bearing he
:
: 2-3 days before the corruption occurred I removed my Promise
: Ultra100 TX2 PCI IDE Controller card from the system in order to
: free up a PCI slot. I had been running over 4 IDE devices, so I
: removed all but 4, including the 3 IDE HD's and my DVD burner. The
: problem drive may well have been on the card and not the MB IDE
: channels.
:
: Very likely and was getting 48bit LBA support from the driver for
: that card.
:
: It's currently primary slave.
:
: Then set the EnableBigLBA value to 1 in the registry.
:
: Hmm. I guess you are supposed to enter 1, not 0x1 like it says.
:
:Yeah, that's just a formal way of specifying the base with a number.
:
oesnt matter with a value of 1.
:
: Really cute. Argh.
:
:Yeah, could be clearer.
:
However, if what you said is right, I have to delete my entry and do it
again. I used DWORD, and you say to do binary. Are you sure about that?
Old February 20th 06, 06:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:30:37 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

:No, binary.

But MS says:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD ----
Value data: 0x1

Dan
:
: I added a value, renamed it EnableBigLba, and the default value was:
:
: 0x00000000 (0)
:
: I chose Modify and entered 0x1, however after clicking OK it shows the
: value as 0x00000411 (1041)
:
: Is that correct?
:
:Nope, try again with a binary value.
:
: If not, what am I supposed to enter as a value.
: I find this all hard to believe.
:
:Presumably you mean understand.

Old February 20th 06, 06:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

So, I'm wondering something now. Assuming I get the registry entry right
that will enable 48-bit LBA and that lets me use a 137 GB IDE drive
without errors, what happens when I reinstall my OS's?

If I install Win2000, even if I slipstream SP4 onto a CDR install disk
with my SP2 install disk, after the install, 48-bit LBA won't be in
effect until AFTER I make the registry entry. I presume that means that
I better disconnect my 137 IDE HDD's until AFTER I make that registry
entry. Is that correct? And I have to do that for each OS partition I
have, including both my Win2000 ones and my Win98SE. Is this correct or
not? Thanks for any info on this.

Dan

PS Another question I have is the following:

Why didn't Microsoft include functionality in SP3 or SP4 that creates
the registry setting? Is there a reason a person wouldn't want to
automatically have 48-bit LBA enabled? Surely, they could have created
the registry entry automatically as part of the service pack
installation. Or, they could have at least put up a dialogue asking the
user if they wanted to. It just seems like a serious mistake to not have
brought the issue to the user's attention. I might have lost a ton of
valuable data. After all, everything on my 160 GB drive was lost, and
suddenly and entirely without warning.
Old February 20th 06, 07:04 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:30:37 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

No, binary.

But MS says:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD ----
Value data: 0x1

Yes, I realised my brain fart there and amended this post.

Old February 20th 06, 07:05 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

[...]

Doesnt matter with a value of 1.

Really cute. Argh.

Yeah, could be clearer.

However, if what you said is right, I have to delete my entry and do it
again. I used DWORD, and you say to do binary. Are you sure about that?

No, I amended that, it should be dword.

Old February 20th 06, 07:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Dan_Musicant wrote

So, I'm wondering something now. Assuming I get the registry entry
right that will enable 48-bit LBA and that lets me use a 137 GB IDE
drive without errors, what happens when I reinstall my OS's?

If I install Win2000, even if I slipstream SP4 onto a CDR install disk
with my SP2 install disk, after the install, 48-bit LBA won't be in
effect until AFTER I make the registry entry. I presume that means
that I better disconnect my 137 IDE HDD's until AFTER I make that
registry entry. Is that correct?

Thats one way of doing it. The other is to ensure that the 2K install
is below the 137G level on a bigger drive and just put the EnableBigLBA
entry in the registry before doing anything past the 137G level on the
drive.

And I have to do that for each OS partition I have,
including both my Win2000 ones and my Win98SE.

There is no support for drives over 137G except by
having the drives on a controller that has 48bit LBA
support in the bios and driver for that controller.

No big deal in the situation where you have the FAT32
partition below the 137G level on the drive and the other
partitions are NTFS, SE cant operate on them anyway.

Is this correct or not? Thanks for any info on this.

Another question I have is the following:

Why didn't Microsoft include functionality in
SP3 or SP4 that creates the registry setting?

Not sure why it was done like that.

Old February 20th 06, 07:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

In article , Dan_Musicant
writes

I might have lost a ton of
valuable data. After all, everything on my 160 GB drive was lost, and
suddenly and entirely without warning.

will be happy to answer your concerns. Not.

--
(\__/)

Old February 20th 06, 07:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

So, I'm wondering something now. Assuming I get the registry entry right
that will enable 48-bit LBA and that lets me use a 137 GB IDE drive
without errors, what happens when I reinstall my OS's?

If you install Windows 2000, you have to do regedit again.

If I install Win2000, even if I slipstream SP4 onto a CDR install disk
with my SP2 install disk, after the install, 48-bit LBA won't be in
effect until AFTER I make the registry entry. I presume that means that
I better disconnect my 137 IDE HDD's until AFTER I make that registry
entry. Is that correct?

Only if you boot unregedited Windows 2000 AND there is a chance that some
program might want to write to 137GB disk in "high" space area.

And I have to do that for each OS partition I
have, including both my Win2000 ones and my Win98SE. Is this correct or
not? Thanks for any info on this.

I don't know what Win98SE will do in that respect....

Dan

PS Another question I have is the following:

Why didn't Microsoft include functionality in SP3 or SP4 that creates
the registry setting? Is there a reason a person wouldn't want to
automatically have 48-bit LBA enabled? Surely, they could have created
the registry entry automatically as part of the service pack
installation. Or, they could have at least put up a dialogue asking the
user if they wanted to. It just seems like a serious mistake to not have
brought the issue to the user's attention. I might have lost a ton of
valuable data. After all, everything on my 160 GB drive was lost, and
suddenly and entirely without warning.

Oops. I wonder what Microsoft support would say to you if you call them?
Can users organize a group lawsuit against MS? Or license agreement protects
them?

I think they want you to upgrade to Windows XP SP2.
(... Before Vista hits the shelves....)

And, if you are planning to get more than 4GB memory (or 3GB in fact), there
is Windows XP 64bit available.

Old February 21st 06, 10:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:31:22 GMT, Dan_Musicant
wrote:

So, I'm wondering something now. Assuming I get the registry entry right
that will enable 48-bit LBA and that lets me use a 137 GB IDE drive
without errors, what happens when I reinstall my OS's?

If you want to make life easier for yourself, put the following lines
in a file named EnableBigLba.reg and execute it to put it in the
registry:
------ cut -----
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\atapi\Parameters]
"EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001
------ cut -----
After you modify the registry, run Disk Management and look at the
capacity of the large disks to confirm that Windows 2000 has been
configured to properly access large drives.

Old February 21st 06, 10:57 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

:wrote:
:
:So, I'm wondering something now. Assuming I get the registry entry right
:that will enable 48-bit LBA and that lets me use a 137 GB IDE drive
:without errors, what happens when I reinstall my OS's?
:
:If you want to make life easier for yourself, put the following lines
:in a file named EnableBigLba.reg and execute it to put it in the
:registry:
:------ cut -----
:Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
:
:[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\atapi\Parameters]
:"EnableBigLba"=dword:00000001
:------ cut -----
:After you modify the registry, run Disk Management and look at the
:capacity of the large disks to confirm that Windows 2000 has been
:configured to properly access large drives.

I have a few of questions:

1. How can I verify in Disk Management that Windows 2000 has been
configured to properly access large drives?

2. I assume I leave out the lines:

3. How do I execute the EnagleBigLba.reg file?

Thanks!!

Dan
:
: