Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

Old February 18th 06, 11:02 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:07:53 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

In article ,
Dan_Musicant writes

I have another HD in the box that's 200 GB and it has one logical
drive only, and is formatted NTFS. That's obviously not the
problem. Also, the drive was working fine for 1.5 years and I made
no changes.

Read what Eric wrote. The drive doesn't get trashed _until_ data has
been written past the 137GB boundary, so the drive can appear to be
working well for quite some time, until you fill the disk up enough.

The logical
drives simply disappeared from it, evidently data corruption.

Which is exactly what writing past 137GB does. The write "wraps
around" to cylinder 0. What's on cylinder 0? The boot sector and
partition tables - bye bye logical drives.

See http://www.48bitlba.com/

Thanks. I'm checking out the site.

One thing I didn't mention and it could well have a bearing he

2-3 days before the corruption occurred I removed my Promise Ultra100
TX2 PCI IDE Controller card from the system in order to free up a PCI
slot. I had been running over 4 IDE devices, so I removed all but 4,
including the 3 IDE HD's and my DVD burner. The problem drive may well
have been on the card and not the MB IDE channels.

Very likely and was getting 48bit LBA support from the driver for that
card.

It's currently primary slave.

Then set the EnableBigLBA value to 1 in the registry.

Old February 19th 06, 10:03 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:54:45 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote
: Rod Speed wrote
: Dan_Musicant wrote
: Rod Speed wrote
: Dan_Musicant wrote
: Rod Speed wrote
: Dan_Musicant wrote
: Folkert Rienstra wrote
:
: That may be a result of lack of 48bit LBA
: support in the bios, just affecting formatting.
:
: Yeah, that must be it. Obviously it miraculously
: formatted itself before he had this crash, or
: maybe the bios downgraded itself afterwards.
:
: I probably formatted it with Partition Magic 7.0. The fact
: that I couldn't format my 40 GB FAT32 partition seems to
: be the result of Windows format not supporting more than
: 32 GB for FAT32. Unfortunately, the Windows didn't make
: that clear and it seems to me very very stupid of MS.
:
: That isnt seen with XP, it doesnt even offer you FAT32 as
: a possibility with partitions bigger than it will format FAT32.
:
: It wouldn't bother me if they'd just gone to the trouble of giving
: me a comprehensible error message such as "FAT32 partitions
: larger than 32 GB are not supported by this format utility."
:
: Sure, MS generally doesnt do it that way with that level of ute.
:
: They basically do it the way XP does it and document it elsewhere.
:
: Doesn't seem fair to the user.
:
: Its arguably the best approach, a question only arises if
: you attempt to format a drive bigger than 32G FAT32 and
: find you cant even select that option with a partition that big.
:
: No,
:
:Fraid so.
:
: I clicked on the partition and Windows said it wasn't formatted
: and offered to format it with any file system supported, among
: them being FAT32, which was my choice.
:
:I was talking about how XP does it, not 2K. Clearly they have
:seen the light and improved on the poor way 2K does it.
:
: It went on to do a slow format. Many minutes later it shoots
: up a little box saying "The disk in drive H cannot be formatted."
: This would suggest there was something wrong with the drive, not
: that the utility wasn't up to formatting a partition larger than 32 GB.
:
:See above.
:
: I was left guessing what the reason was - in my case,
: that I had a hardware problem, whereas they knew it
: was because they just didn't support it in the utility.
:
: Yes, that's clearly why XP now does it differently.
:
: Anyway, I had no trouble making the drive OK now with Partition
: Magic. A Seagate support guy warned me yesterday to steer
: away from Partition Magic, but it looks like it's either that
: or be satisfied with 32 GB FAT32 partitions, so I did it anyway.
:
: There aint just those two alternatives.
:
: Such as? FAT?
:
: I meant other than those two ways of formatting
: a FAT32 partition that is bigger than 32G
:
: OK, I see.
:
: I'd personally use True Image.
:
: It's the first such warning I've gotten, and
: I suspect his motives in offering that info.
:
: You shouldnt, it can **** some configs rather comprehensively.
:
: Didn't have trouble before
:
: Plenty of others have.
:
: and have little reason to believe it has been responsible for
: problems.
:
: We dont know what the problem actually is yet, so
: you dont know if its actually been caused by PM yet.
:
: Right.
:
: I could live with just a 32 GB FAT32 partition, after all it's not
: all that much smaller than 40 GB, which I have set up now, though.
:
: I think its more likely that its a red herring since you say you do
: have TV capture files and those are too big for FAT32 on the whole.
:
: The TV capture stuff I do is on the NTFS partition, not the FAT32.
:
: Sure, it wasnt clear when I wrote that that you only have one
: partition formatted FAT32 and thats for the Win98 you use
: occasionally.
:
: And I wouldnt just close my eyes to the problem you
: originally had either, thats guaranteed to bite in the future.
:
: I figure it's apt to, yeah. Thanks.
:
: Specially now that it looks likely that you dont have 48 bit LBA support
: ENABLED in 2K and that that is what caused the original problem.
:
: Is there any way I can enable it in W2k?
:
:Yep. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;305098
:
: Thanks all for the help.

It says:

To enable 48-bit LBA large-disk support in the registry: 1. Start
Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Atapi\Parameters
3. On the Edit menu, click Add Value, and then add the following
registry value:
Value name: EnableBigLba
Data type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0x1
4. Quit Registry Editor.

Now, in Windows 2000 on my machine in the registry, the Edit menu
doesn't have an Add Value option. It has:

Key

String Value
Binary Value
DWORD Value

I presume I'm supposed to choose DWORD Value.

I added a value, renamed it EnableBigLba, and the default value was:

0x00000000 (0)

I chose Modify and entered 0x1, however after clicking OK it shows the
value as 0x00000411 (1041)

Is that correct? If not, what am I supposed to enter as a value. I find
this all hard to believe.

Dan

Old February 19th 06, 10:07 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 10:02:19 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
: On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 21:07:53 +0000, Mike Tomlinson
: wrote:
:
: In article ,
: Dan_Musicant writes
:
[...]
Hmm. I guess you are supposed to enter 1, not 0x1 like it says. Really
cute. Argh.
Old February 19th 06, 10:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

seagate, maxtor and wd all have tools to do this crap. Here is maxtors:
http://tinyurl.com/4fl2r hope this helps

i assume you already downloaded "seatools" to diag you seagate drive?

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:54:45 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote
: Rod Speed wrote
: Dan_Musicant wrote
: Rod Speed wrote
: Dan_Musicant wrote
: Rod Speed wrote
: Dan_Musicant wrote
: Folkert Rienstra wrote
:

Old February 19th 06, 10:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

[...]

No, binary.

I added a value, renamed it EnableBigLba, and the default value was:

0x00000000 (0)

I chose Modify and entered 0x1, however after clicking OK it shows the
value as 0x00000411 (1041)

Is that correct?

Nope, try again with a binary value.

If not, what am I supposed to enter as a value.
I find this all hard to believe.

Presumably you mean understand.

Old February 19th 06, 10:32 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, that's just a formal way of specifying the base with a number.

Doesnt matter with a value of 1.

Really cute. Argh.

Yeah, could be clearer.

Old February 19th 06, 10:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

[...]

Nope, it means enter the value of 1.

That x style indicates the base. Enter a value of 1
and it should show as 0x00000001 (1)

Old February 19th 06, 11:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

[...]

Oh boy! Ever worked with registry?
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...regedit_s1.htm

Old February 20th 06, 05:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 16:11:47 -0600, "Beemer Biker"
wrote:

:
:i assume you already downloaded "seatools" to diag you seagate drive?
Yes, I did. Wasn't any help, though. Couldn't read the file system.
Otherwise, everything checked out.
Old February 20th 06, 05:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 18:23:26 -0500, "Peter"
wrote:

: It says:
:
[...]
Yes, but not a lot.