Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

Old February 16th 06, 07:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:17:45 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
: On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:21:12 +0100, "Folkert Rienstra"
: wrote:
:
: That may be a result of lack of 48bit LBA
: support in the bios, just affecting formatting.
:
: Yeah, that must be it. Obviously it miraculously formatted itself
: before he had this crash, or maybe the bios downgraded itself
: afterwards.
:
: I probably formatted it with Partition Magic 7.0. The fact that I
: couldn't format my 40 GB FAT32 partition seems to be the result of
: Windows format not supporting more than 32 GB for FAT32.
: Unfortunately, the Windows didn't make that clear and it seems to me
: very very stupid of MS.
:
:That isnt seen with XP, it doesnt even offer you FAT32 as
:a possibility with partitions bigger than it will format FAT32.

It wouldn't bother me if they'd just gone to the trouble of giving me a
comprehensible error message such as "FAT32 partitions larger than 32 GB
are not supported by this format utility."
:
: Anyway, I had no trouble making the drive OK now with Partition
: Magic. A Seagate support guy warned me yesterday to steer
: away from Partition Magic, but it looks like it's either that
: or be satisfied with 32 GB FAT32 partitions, so I did it anyway.
:
:There aint just those two alternatives.

Such as? FAT?
:
: It's the first such warning I've gotten, and I
: suspect his motives in offering that info.
:
:You shouldnt, it can **** some configs rather comprehensively.

Didn't have trouble before and have little reason to believe it has been
responsible for problems. I could live with just a 32 GB FAT32
partition, after all it's not all that much smaller than 40 GB, which I
have set up now, though.
:
: Thanks all for the help.
:

Old February 16th 06, 07:18 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:15:15 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

an_Musicant wrote:
: On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 07:46:22 +1100, "Rod Speed"
: wrote:
:
: Dan_Musicant wrote:
: On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:53:13 +1100, "Rod Speed"
: wrote:
:
: Then its unlikely to be the hard drive failing.
: See what Everest says about the SMART data.
: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
:
: Everest report that SMART data for the drive is all OK.
:
: Post the full report, there is more that matters than just OKs.
:
: If the SMART data is ok, you wont be able to RMA the drive.
:
: I got it working now with Partition Magic. Fdisk wouldn't delete
: the FAT32 logical drive. It appeared to, but it persisted.
:
:I wouldnt just ignore that, there's something
:seriously ****ed there somewhere.

Should I call Seagate and ask for an RMA? The drive appears to be OK
now, but don't really know.
:
: Windows was no help as long as I wanted 32 GB FAT32 partition.
:
:Sure. What did you do about NTFS, gave up on it completely ? Thats not
:a great idea with TV captures, they are too big for FAT32 most of the time.
:
No, I had no problem setting up NTFS partitions on the drive. Currently,
I have:

H: 39 GB FAT32
I: 109 NTFS
Old February 16th 06, 07:21 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:22:00 -0600, "Harkhof" wrote:

:
:"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
.. .
: On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 18:18:29 -0800, "Eric Gisin"
: wrote:
:
: :It is NOT a hardware problem. It is NTFS corruption.
: :You didn't enable Win 2K large (137GB) drive support in the registry,
: :and NTFS wrote past 137G which wiped the MBR and boot sector.
:
: I have another HD in the box that's 200 GB and it has one logical drive
: only, and is formatted NTFS. That's obviously not the problem. Also, the
: drive was working fine for 1.5 years and I made no changes. The logical
: drives simply disappeared from it, evidently data corruption. I don't
: know what kind of corruption it is, but it evidently is preventing the
: drive from being properly reformatted -- see the post I made in this
: thread 5-10 minutes ago.
:
: Dan
:
:
: :"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
: .. .
: : Part number: ST3160023A-RK
: :
: : Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4
: years
: : on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I RMA'd one that
: : was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase. I've had over 10
: HDD's.
: : This was working perfectly, AFAIK and suddenly a couple of days ago
: : Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive (Explorer). Disk Management shows it
: : online but unformatted. So, I suppose the partition table became
: : corrupted. Is this an automatic RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a
: : hardware issue? Is it possible for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or
: : is that an expensive and/or iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the
: : system, this was the most expendable in terms of the data. In that I
: was
: : extremely lucky. I used it mainly for backup and temporary work.
: :
: : Thanks for any info.
: :
: : Dan
:
:Excuse me for butting in, but I'm wondering why you have to have FAT32 for
:the partition in question? NTFS is much more reliable and presents none of
:the partition size barriers or file size limits FAT 32 does. Also, as has
:been said, PM can and does cause issues (in fact, I had 2 partitions
:disappear on me several years back that were created in PM). If you MUST
:have FAT32, your best bet (to maintain reliability) is to delete the
artition and reformat with a 98 boot disk (w/format command added to disk).
:
:As to why the drive corrupted in the first place, did you use PM for the
riginal install?
:
:Hark

The only reason I'm using FAT32 is that I have a Win98SE boot partition
on the system, that I use occasionally. I want it to be able to see at
least one of my data partitions.

If I format with a Win98SE floppy, can I format a 40 GB partition to
FAT32?

I don't recall, but figure I may well have used PM to do the original
formatting of the partitions, or I may have resized them using PM.

Old February 16th 06, 08:20 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Dan_Musicant wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dan_Musicant wrote
Folkert Rienstra wrote

That may be a result of lack of 48bit LBA
support in the bios, just affecting formatting.

Yeah, that must be it. Obviously it miraculously
formatted itself before he had this crash, or
maybe the bios downgraded itself afterwards.

I probably formatted it with Partition Magic 7.0. The fact
that I couldn't format my 40 GB FAT32 partition seems to
be the result of Windows format not supporting more than
32 GB for FAT32. Unfortunately, the Windows didn't make
that clear and it seems to me very very stupid of MS.

That isnt seen with XP, it doesnt even offer you FAT32 as
a possibility with partitions bigger than it will format FAT32.

It wouldn't bother me if they'd just gone to the trouble of giving
me a comprehensible error message such as "FAT32 partitions
larger than 32 GB are not supported by this format utility."

Sure, MS generally doesnt do it that way with that level of ute.

They basically do it the way XP does it and document it elsewhere.

Anyway, I had no trouble making the drive OK now with Partition
Magic. A Seagate support guy warned me yesterday to steer
away from Partition Magic, but it looks like it's either that
or be satisfied with 32 GB FAT32 partitions, so I did it anyway.

There aint just those two alternatives.

Such as? FAT?

I meant other than those two ways of formatting
a FAT32 partition that is bigger than 32G

It's the first such warning I've gotten, and
I suspect his motives in offering that info.

You shouldnt, it can **** some configs rather comprehensively.

Didn't have trouble before

Plenty of others have.

and have little reason to believe it has been responsible for problems.

We dont know what the problem actually is yet, so
you dont know if its actually been caused by PM yet.

I could live with just a 32 GB FAT32 partition, after all it's not all
that much smaller than 40 GB, which I have set up now, though.

I think its more likely that its a red herring since you say you do
have TV capture files and those are too bit for FAT32 on the whole.

And I wouldnt just close my eyes to the problem you
originally had either, thats guaranteed to bite in the future.

Thanks all for the help.

Old February 16th 06, 08:24 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Dan_Musicant wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dan_Musicant wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Dan_Musicant wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Then its unlikely to be the hard drive failing.
See what Everest says about the SMART data.

Everest report that SMART data for the drive is all OK.

Post the full report, there is more that matters than just OKs.

If the SMART data is ok, you wont be able to RMA the drive.

I got it working now with Partition Magic. Fdisk wouldn't delete
the FAT32 logical drive. It appeared to, but it persisted.

I wouldnt just ignore that, there's something
seriously ****ed there somewhere.

Should I call Seagate and ask for an RMA?

I doubt its a faulty drive if SeaTools says its fine
and the SMART data shows no problems either.

Looks like the problem is outside the drive, but that not certain until you
carefully resolve what is producing the odd results like that just above.

The drive appears to be OK now, but don't really know.

Yeah, I'd resolve the problem thoroughly myself, not just hope for the
best.

Windows was no help as long as I wanted 32 GB FAT32 partition.

Sure. What did you do about NTFS, gave up on it completely ?
Thats not a great idea with TV captures, they are too big for
FAT32 most of the time.

No, I had no problem setting up NTFS partitions on the drive.
Currently, I have:

H: 39 GB FAT32
I: 109 NTFS

So why the FAT32 partition at all ? Do you need that for an OS other than
2K ?

Old February 16th 06, 08:27 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

wrote:

[...]

maintain reliability) is to delete the partition and reformat with a
98 boot disk (w/format command added to disk).

As to why the drive corrupted in the first place, did you use PM
for the original install?

Hark

The only reason I'm using FAT32 is that I have a Win98SE boot
partition on the system, that I use occasionally. I want it to be
able to see at least one of my data partitions.

If I format with a Win98SE floppy, can
I format a 40 GB partition to FAT32?

Yes, but as you say it makes some sense to use 32G instead for simplicity.

I don't recall, but figure I may well have used PM to do the original
formatting of the partitions, or I may have resized them using PM.

Yeah, could well be what produced your original problem.

Old February 17th 06, 01:13 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

[...]

That depends on how safe Partition Magic is.
If it partitions without checking whether those partitions will actually be safe
to use under the OS in question with the driver's capabilities than he has a point.
Unfortunately the same situation can exist with Fdisk if the BIOS supports
48-bit LBA but the OS drivers do not.

As for the formatting capabilies of PM I can see a few niggles there too,
eg if it doesn't do a surface check (just a quick format).

Thanks all for the help.

Old February 17th 06, 01:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 13:53:13 +1100, "Rod Speed" wrote:

Then its unlikely to be the hard drive failing.
See what Everest says about the SMART data.

Everest report that SMART data for the drive is all OK.

Post the full report, there is more that matters than just OKs.

If the SMART data is ok, you wont be able to RMA the drive.

I got it working now with Partition Magic.

Fdisk wouldn't delete the FAT32 logical drive.
It appeared to, but it persisted.

You did of course do a reboot afterwards, did you?

Windows was no help as long as I wanted 32 GB FAT32 partition.

Old February 17th 06, 06:14 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

: wrote:
:
[...]

Yes, but as the format command doesn't get written to the boot disk during
its creation, be sure to copy it from Win98 to the win98 boot disk, or that
you can access it on some FAT32 partition after booting.

I don't recall, but figure I may well have used PM to do the original
formatting of the partitions, or I may have resized them using PM.

I'd delete the partition in fdisk from the win98 boot disk (fdisk is already
on the win98 boot disk) and use fdisk to recreate the partition you want.
Also, I'd say a safer bet for resizing partitions is either BING or Acronis
Disk Director. BING is around $40, but gives you a fully functional trial
period if budget is a concern. Another valuable feature of BING is that it
can reliably slide a partition. I think Disk Director is around $50 or $60.
I like and use both (along with Acronis True Image. Where would I be without
that ?).

Hark

Old February 17th 06, 07:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:13:09 +0100, "Folkert Rienstra"
wrote:

[...]

But it's Win2000 SP4. Wouldn't the drivers support 48-bit LBA?
:
:As for the formatting capabilies of PM I can see a few niggles there too,
:eg if it doesn't do a surface check (just a quick format).

It clearly didn't. PM didn't even require me to reboot. It sized and
formatted the partitions in a second or two!
:
:
: Thanks all for the help.