graphics card upgrade and Fonts

Old November 23rd 05, 05:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Default graphics card upgrade and Fonts

I recently got a Dell 1905 FP LCD monitor which I like alot. My Gateway
Select 1000 pc, which I bought 4 yrs ago, came with an Nvidia Vanta video
card, with only 16mb on board.. By today's standards, its a dinosaur. But
since the most graphics intense thing I do is occasionally download and
watch films or sporting events, its been ok.

Heres what I dont understand. I bought a GeForce FX5200 128mb Nvidia video
card to try out with the new monitor, replacing the primitive Nvidia Vanta
card. And, I found that, after installing the drivers, the Fonts that I saw
on the screen seemed incredibly clear and crisp, compared to what the Vanta
video card let me see.

I fully expected the FX5200 card to play games better, and maybe even to
display films and dvds better.. But why would standard Fonts appear so much
sharper and clearer ? ... I had made no changes to the properties accessible
via 'desktop rt click/properties/...' appearance, effects, settings, etc,
etc (I have windows ME). I switched back and forth between cards several
times just to make sure my eyes werent deceiving me, and there is no doubt
that its a world of difference in the font clarity.. its not that they are
blurry or hard to read with the older Vanta card... Its just that with the
FX5200 card, they appear much clearer.. Like a real step up.

Is it that the drivers for the newer more powerful card allow a different
rendering of the same fonts, so as to make them appear better? I think alot
of people who buy better video cards for game playing purposes, might be
surprised at this added bonus. Has anybody else experienced this with a
video card upgrade?

paul

Old November 23rd 05, 06:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Were you running both cards at the monitors native resolution? I am not sure
if 16mb of video ram is enough to drive that monitor at it's native
resolution (1280x1024?). Beyond that it has been my observation that the
Vanta series of cards had rather poor 2D display capabilities.

news

Old November 26th 05, 01:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

You should be fine once you get the new PSU in there. I had a Select 1200
that I ran a GeForce 4 Ti4600 and later a Radeon 9700 Pro with no problems.

"Boostm3" wrote in message
Yes.. both cards supported 1280x1024, the monitor's native resolution. So
thats not it. I have the vanta card in there now because the FX5200 card
after a few hrs of use, turns my monitor off.. Kind of a crash of sorts,
due, I think to the fact that my gateway power supply's fan is dead.. So I
ordered a new power supply and hopefully, once I get that installed, Ill
be
able to re install my FX5200 card for permanent use.. IT just looks so
much
better than the vanta, It will allow me to get another couple yrs use of
this 1 mhz machine.

"Tweek" wrote in message
Were you running both cards at the monitors native resolution? I am not

sure
if 16mb of video ram is enough to drive that monitor at it's native
resolution (1280x1024?). Beyond that it has been my observation that the
Vanta series of cards had rather poor 2D display capabilities.

news

Old November 26th 05, 05:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Listen to this. I got my new powersupply for my gateway 1000 pc last
night.. As you recall, the fan on the gateway power supply had seized up
solid, and with the GeForce FX 5200 video card with 128mb on board, it ran
really hot, and I thought thats why after the first 3 hrs of use, the pc
would crash, sending the monitor into its amber state, only recoverable with
a hard reboot.

The powersupply I used was a step up to 300 watts, with dual fans, and was
listed as a direct replacement for my gateway model power supply. And it
was.. it worked great, and both fans really cooled the case.. But, the same
damn thing happened. With the eVga GeForce FX 5200 card in there, it
crashed after about 3 hrs, and then on hard reboot, would crash every half
hour or less after that, til I guess everything had a chance to cool down.

Keep in mind that Im back using the stock Nvidia Vanta card with just 16mb
on board, and its never done this.. Always runs cool to the touch also.

So, Im sending the eVga GeForce fx 5200 card back to the vendor, and I
ordered a slightly different variation of the same card from another vendor.
This time, the maker was not eVga, but listed as GeForce itself. Same fx
5200 nvidia designation though. . Im thinking maybe there was some fault
deep in the card I was using. Or maybe the heat sink config wasnt enough. .I
dont know.. All I know is Gateway lists this card as a compatible
replacement for my pc, and they even sell something designated as the same
fx 5200 for my pc! Any other ideas what might have caused this strange
behavior?

Paul

"Tweek" wrote in message
Were you running both cards at the monitors native resolution? I am not

sure
if 16mb of video ram is enough to drive that monitor at it's native
resolution (1280x1024?). Beyond that it has been my observation that

the
Vanta series of cards had rather poor 2D display capabilities.

news I recently got a Dell 1905 FP LCD monitor which I like alot. My

Old November 29th 05, 03:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Double check the motherboard and make sure you don't have any bulging or
leaking capacitors. The Fx5200 doesn't draw a ton of power but it may be
enough to bring a capacitor problem out in the open whereas your Vanta card
doesn't.

Old December 2nd 05, 01:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Tweek,

Capacitor seem to look 'normal', to my eyes, anyway. What about this. The
pc came with bios settings that were right for the 16mb Nvidia Vanta card...
Theres a Bios setting called AGP Aperture size. It was set for 64mb. Im
starting to play with that a little. Ive reset it to 256mb.. thats how much
ram is on this Fx 5200 card they sent me, although I asked for the 128mb
card. Whatever, if I can get the 256 mb fx 5200 to work, Ill surely keep
it.

Since resetting the bios agp aperture size to 256mb, it hasnt crashed yet,
and its been on twice as long as it was when it crashed the first time I put
the card in with the lower aperture bios setting.. Thats no guarantee Ill
be singing the same tune tomorrow, or even later on tonight.

But just tell me.. am I barking up a wrong tree here? Is it even Plausible
that this setting, if not appropriate for my video card ram size, could be
causing the random crash of the system?

Paul

Old December 2nd 05, 02:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Forget my earlier post.. It just crashed again... For some reason, looks
like IM stuck running that 16mb nvidia Vanta card. ITs a shame,
considering Gateway sells the FX 5200 as an upgrade for my pc... I didnt buy
it from them though, cause theyre selling it for only about 2.5 times what I
bought it for!

Paul

Old December 2nd 05, 07:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000

Are you running Windows XP on this machine? If you are still using WindowsME
that could be an issue right there. Another thing you could try is the
latest VIA drivers at www.viaarena.com and see if that does anything for it.