P4 2.8: Northwood vs. Prescott?

Old November 3rd 04, 04:04 PM
Bob Snelgrove

Default P4 2.8: Northwood vs. Prescott?

Hi Guys,

I'm having trouble finding a NW. let alone the new (m0) stepping. There are
plenty of Prescotts out there and even cheaper it seems. Isn't the Prescott
with the 1mb cache a newer, better chip? Is it just that the NW Oc's a
little better?

Also, if anyone knows where a Retail NW can be found, I'd appreciate it!

thx

bob

Old November 3rd 04, 04:48 PM
Richard Hopkins

"Bob Snelgrove" wrote in message...
I'm having trouble finding a NW. let alone the new (m0) stepping.

The M0 appears to have been produced in very limited quantities. In any case
this isn't a big deal, D1's are excellent.

There are plenty of Prescotts out there and even cheaper it seems. Isn't
the Prescott with the 1mb cache a newer, better chip?

No. It's newer, yes, but doesn't perform as well, clock for clock, as the
512K HT Northwood, even with double the L2 cache. The Prescott is a bit of a
runt; a design that only really makes sense in excess of 4GHz, but that is
impossible, due to both design and production issues, for Intel to validate
at speeds anywhere near 4GHz.

The trouble is that Intel doesn't have anything else to sell right now, and
is committed to transferring over to the 0.09u process, so it's not like
they can magically restart the Northwood development process and production
lines.

Is it just that the NW Oc's a little better?

No, Prescott will ultimately overclock to slightly higher core speeds. The
trouble is that even running 10% faster than an HT Northwood, it still gives
lower performance, and in a context where it consumes far more power and
chucks out far more heat.

Also, if anyone knows where a Retail NW can be found, I'd appreciate it!

Can't help you there I'm afraid, but you'd be well advised to continue your
search a little while longer. Also, if you're going to ask questions like
this, it might be a good idea if you tell us where in the universe you're
posting from.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Old November 3rd 04, 06:06 PM
Wayne Youngman

Also, if anyone knows where a Retail NW can be found, I'd appreciate it!

Hi,

If your in the U.K then try CPU-City
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk

They were happy to confirm the box product code.

Wayne ][

Old November 4th 04, 03:01 AM
MadFox

Wayne Youngman wrote:
Also, if anyone knows where a Retail NW can be found, I'd appreciate it!

Hi,

If your in the U.K then try CPU-City
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk

They were happy to confirm the box product code.

Wayne ][

does
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalo...products_id=87
fit the bill?
Old November 4th 04, 05:23 AM
Richard Hopkins

"MadFox" in message...
does http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalo...products_id=87
fit the bill?

Depends what you mean by "fit the bill", but that is a Northwood processor,
if that's what you're asking.

Old November 4th 04, 03:26 PM
MadFox

Richard Hopkins wrote:

"MadFox" in message...

does
http://www.cpucitystore.co.uk/catalo...products_id=87
fit the bill?

Depends what you mean by "fit the bill", but that is a Northwood
processor, if that's what you're asking.

I meant is that any use to the OP, I know its a Northwood
Old November 4th 04, 03:34 PM
Bob Snelgrove

Thanks, Guys

I'm in Ca., USA. Sorry about that!

bob

Old November 4th 04, 03:40 PM
MadFox

Bob Snelgrove wrote:
Thanks, Guys

I'm in Ca., USA. Sorry about that!

bob

OK, how about
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-161&depa=1
?
Old November 6th 04, 10:20 AM
Richard Hopkins

"MadFox" wrote in message
OK, how about
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-161&depa=1 ?

Just tried following that link MadFox, and it came up with a "product not
found" error. Searched manually through the site for 512K cache P4's and
they have the OEM (Northwood) 2.8C in stock. URL should be:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-162&depa=1

Looking at the numbers I'd guess the product you originally found was the
retail boxed one, yes?

Old November 6th 04, 06:33 PM
MadFox

Richard Hopkins wrote:

"MadFox" wrote in message

OK, how about
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-161&depa=1
?

Just tried following that link MadFox, and it came up with a "product
not found" error. Searched manually through the site for 512K cache P4's
and they have the OEM (Northwood) 2.8C in stock. URL should be:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...116-162&depa=1

Looking at the numbers I'd guess the product you originally found was
the retail boxed one, yes?

Correct, very weird that it doesnt work now though, I can only find the
OEM one too.