Single X1800 outperforms a 7800GTX SLI setup

Old October 11th 05, 05:35 PM
epaton

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:49:38 +0100, Taipan wrote:

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/h...7800gtxs.shtml

Ok, so it's overclocked but hell of a feat o_O

(and no I'm not an ATI fanboy, just bought a 7800gt to replace my X800XT -
just thought the article was a real eye-opener).

overclocked is a bit of an understatement, using dry ice and overclocking
an amd64 to 3.6ghz
Old October 11th 05, 08:33 PM
Tony DiMarzio

--
TP

This just shows that ATI's problems as of late have not been the result of
their silicon. The technology is good. It is the management and execution
that are to blame.

X1800XT's *should* have been out and available for a few months now, making
them price comparable to the 7800gtx. Unfortunately, that is not the case,
and even though the X1800XT is faster than the 7800gtx, the difference on a
whole is marginal and not enough to justify the additional cost.

I, however, just HAVE to have the fastest out there when I buy something
new, so I'll be waiting till November to buy an X1800XT, unless by the time
it hits the shelves it has been dethroned by a newer NVIDIA part.

--
Tony DiMarzio

Old October 11th 05, 09:57 PM
Spaceman

"Tony DiMarzio" wrote in message
"Taipan" wrote in message

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/h...h27800gtxs.sht
[...]

But you'll only ever have the fastest card out there for no more than a few
months at best, unless you can sell and spend another 500 dollars every few
months

Old October 11th 05, 10:47 PM
rms

What about using the new dualcore drivers for the nvidia? 81.84. They give
nice speedups.

rms

Old October 12th 05, 12:46 AM
Dragoncarer

. ..

"Taipan" wrote in message

[...]

Ahh...thankyou.
I bought an XFX 7800GT a couple of months back (As soon as I could, actually
), so I've been avoiding all of these posts, lol.

I'm glad I randomly clicked on this one, it's reminded me about the pace of
technology, and made me feel smug again about my card.....thankyou!

Old October 12th 05, 03:08 AM
First of One

Of all apps Megagames chose... Coming next week, Futuremark removes current
ATi drivers from its "approved" list, citing delinquent membership dues!

Old October 12th 05, 03:22 AM
googlegroups2sucks

I'm glad I randomly clicked on this one, it's reminded me about the pace of
technology, and made me feel smug

smug, smug, smug.

let it be written: i've never in my life been called "smug" by anyone.
ever. that's the honest-to-god truth. i don't know _precisely_ how
i'm coming across to every single reader of these words, but i'll bet
there's a wide variety of responses. don't let the pseudo-intimacy of
some of my posts fool you, because this is still a highly _impersonal_
medium and it's difficult to discern every facet of every emotion i'm
trying to convey, and very easy to misinterpret. most of the time, i'm
laughing at the sheer insanity of this all -- and my position in it --
and not necessarily at any particular individual. believe me, if you
met me in real, everyday life, "smugness" wouldn't enter the equation.

and while we're on this who-finds-who-annoying topic, let this be
written as well: i've come to absolutely loathe politicians and media
morons who consistently, persistently, perpetually get things wrong
time and time and time again, on matters of great importance that they
no inkling of because they're too ****ing shallow, and as a result,
cause billions of dollars to be wasted unnecessarily or get hundreds or
thousands of people killed unnecessarily. I FIND THAT INSUFFERABLY
ANNOYING.

one last thing. is it any wonder that these kind of no-memory,
proud-to-be-ignorant halfwits will then turn around and regard those
who turned out to be right as being annoyingly self-satisfied
know-it-alls? put another way, is it surprising that ignorant idiots
regard informed non-idiots as self-satisfied smugs? all too
predictable, if you ask me.

Old October 12th 05, 06:22 PM
John Lewis

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:08:57 -0400, "First of One"
wrote:

Of all apps Megagames chose... Coming next week, Futuremark removes current
ATi drivers from its "approved" list, citing delinquent membership dues!

If ATi asks Microsoft very nicely, maybe Bill or Steve will pay the
dues ??

John Lewis
Old October 12th 05, 10:00 PM
Nikonja

On 11 Oct 2005 19:22:35 -0700, googlegroups2sucks wrote:

[...]

What's up with you ? Trying to look smart, find some other place because
this is a damn Nvidia graphic card group not a f...ing smartass debate
group ! Ease up a little bit !